mini cranberry-orange scones

November 27, 2012

in Breakfast & Muffins

There’s a coffee shop I won’t name here that sells petite scones. While I find those scones to be cloyingly sweet, I like the idea of a small treat to pair with a mid-morning cup of tea or to savor with my afternoon Americano. Cranberry and orange is a pairing I crave as we head into winter; the balance of tart and sweet energizes me on a chilly day.

These tender mini cranberry-orange scones are studded with chewy dried cranberries and glossed with a bright citrus glaze. If you prefer full size scones, pat the dough into an 8-inch circle and score into 12 wedges. Regardless of what size scone you choose, I highly recommend making a double batch! For more cranberry-orange deliciousness, see my Christmas morning muffins.

Mini-Cranberry-Orange Scones
2 cups self-rising flour*
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 Tbsp orange zest
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
3/4 cup dried cranberries
6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 tsp orange zest
2 1/2 tsp fresh orange juice

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Whisk together self-rising flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and orange zest in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Fold cranberries into flour mixture. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until incorporated. Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll dough into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle. Score into 12 squares with floured bench scraper; score each square across the diagonal to create 24 triangles.

Bake 16 to 17 minutes or until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, orange zest, and juice in a small bowl. Set rack with scones over a piece of wax paper and use an offset spatula to spread glaze on top of each scone (if glaze starts to harden, microwave for 5 seconds and whisk); let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Don’t have self-rising flour? Substitute 2 cups all-purpose flour plus 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt (and include the 1/2 teaspoon baking soda). Increase the buttermilk to 1/2 cup.

Yield – 24 mini scones (serving size: 1 scone)

1 Patty November 27, 2012

Lovely scones!!!Now I’m inspired to start my baking for Christmas;-)
I love the combination of cranberry and orange in a baked scone;-)

2 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin November 27, 2012

I’m trying to start baking more now that the holidays are fast approaching and these scones look perfect and festive for Christmas! :)

3 kristy @ the wicked noodle November 27, 2012

These sound just like something I would love to be enjoying right now. It’s a cold, rainy day and these would be perfect with a warm cup of tea!

4 Suzanne November 27, 2012

These look scrumptious Laura. I too love cranberry and orange together and I can’t resist scones.

5 claire @ the realistic nutritionist November 27, 2012

Oh yes pLEASEEEEE.

6 Carol | a cup of mascarpone November 27, 2012

Two of my favorite combinations – cranberry and orange – in a mini scone! Lovely, Laura!!!

7 Valerie November 27, 2012

Darling little scones, Laura! I wonder what makes us all crave that wonderful cranberry-orange combination this time of year? It’s almost as essential as hot cocoa and marshmallows! :)

8 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers November 27, 2012

I’ve been trying to understand how to make scones lately but I don’t know if I can pull it off. What a nice combination of cranberry and orange laura! I wish I can have some of your scones. Been craving for a long time!

9 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef November 27, 2012

I’ve never had a glazed scone but I’m definitely making these!

10 Laura @ Family Spice November 27, 2012

Totally one of my favorite fruit combinations! My daughter has been asking me to make her scones…. I think I will!

11 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious November 27, 2012

These scones are definitely putting me in the Christmas spirit! And the miniature size is definitely the way to go – although I’m sure I’ll eat twice as much when they’re looking all cute like this!

12 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme November 27, 2012

This is one of my favorite combinations! I love how you incorporated this flavor into scones. I’ll definitely be baking these this holiday season! :)

13 Averie @ Averie Cooks November 27, 2012

I love the flavors of cranberry + orange together! And mini food, so cute! :)

14 Cassie | Bake Your Day November 27, 2012

Cranberry + orange is just such a classic combination. And I adore any kind of scone. These are great, Laura!

15 Sandra's Easy Cooking November 27, 2012

Laura, as I read how you described those beautiful and tasty scones my mouth started to water. Looks very very delicious! Great recipe and pics!!!!!

16 Suzanne Perazzini November 27, 2012

I am right into small treats right now and these would hit the spot nicely.

17 Jen @ Savory Simple November 27, 2012

darn, now I want an evening coffee. And these scones for dunking!

18 Angela @AnotherBitePlease November 27, 2012

i’ve never had a scone *gasp* i know. weird. obviously i need to start.

19 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} November 27, 2012

Okay – I love scones! I love anything mini! I love orange! I love cranberries! This is the perfect scone for me!

20 Marina@Picnic at Marina November 27, 2012

I love cranberries in scones, delicious and very beautiful! :)

21 Kate@Diethood November 27, 2012

Oh these would seriously hit the spot… they sound amazing!!

22 Sawsan @chef in disguise November 27, 2012

Cranberry and orange are indeed an amazing combination and I love the idea of mini scones!

23 Rosa November 27, 2012

Oh, I’d love one for breakfast! Those scones look amazing.

Cheers,

Rosa

24 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings November 27, 2012

Oooh! Me thinks the Christmas spirit is alive and kicking! These mini cran-orange scones are so perfect! I like my scone petite as well, although I think I end up eating the equivalent of 1 jumbo or more! You are making me so hungry, and it’s, like, 2:30 AM here in Toronto right now!

25 Minnie(@thelady8home) November 27, 2012

Orange and Cranberry, great combination idea. It would be lovely for Chritmas. :-D

26 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella November 28, 2012

Our scones are usually round and quite honestly, not as exciting as these ones look! I love the glaze too! :)

27 Lan | angry asian November 28, 2012

these are so incredibly festive looking, perfect with afternoon tea or with a cup of a coffee in the morning! i’m sure santa would love them in lieu of the cookies he always gets when he climbs down the chimney! :)

28 Deb November 28, 2012

I adore the pairing of cranberries and oranges! It is meant to be as they both are in season at the same time. Your Cranberry Orange scones are indeed the perfect treat to pair with a steaming mug of coffee! I would love one this very rainy, windy morning.

29 Helena / Rico sin Azucar November 28, 2012

I’ve always wanted to make scones (I have never tried them) I thought they would be crunchy (like cookies) but you say these ones are tender: are they llike little pieces of cake?
Totally love this orange glaze!
;-)

30 fabiola@notjustbaked November 28, 2012

I have a confession. I bought a huge bag of cranberries, used about half, with every intention to make scones with the rest of the bag. I just didn’t share this info with anyone at Thanksgiving, they didn’t need to know.

31 carrian November 28, 2012

Yay, I have everything to make these today!!

32 Anna @ Hidden Ponies November 28, 2012

Scone perfection! I love the mini version to enjoy as a treat…a double batch means I can make some regular sized ones too for meals :)

33 Kristina November 28, 2012

I’m with you, a lightly sweet (and mini!) scone is a perfect scone… these sound much better than those coffee shop variety… ;)

I think I actually have everything to make these… tomorrow morning!

34 Mercedes November 28, 2012

Your scones look absolutely perfect and I would love one with my morning coffee!

35 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking November 29, 2012

scones are a weekly treat around here. I bake some every Saturday morning and I’m saving this recipe for this weekend. Love the cranberry orange combo

36 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) November 29, 2012

these look fantastic and i am especially loving that simple glaze!

37 Ashley - Baker by Nature November 29, 2012

Orange and Cranberry are one of my all time favorite combinations! I love how cute these scones are, too – perfect for coffee time!

38 Magic of Spice November 29, 2012

I adore minis and these look wonderful! I would love to be nibbling on a couple of these with my coffee :)

39 Liz November 29, 2012

I definitely want the mini version! Then I can have seconds!!!!

40 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts November 29, 2012

Who doesn’t love cranberry and orange together. These mini scones are perfect for a morning treat.

41 Kankana November 29, 2012

A couple of those and a hot cup of tea would be so perfect for today!

42 The Café Sucré Farine November 30, 2012

Very yummy looking Laura! I like this small version as you could eat a few and not feel guilty! Love the cranberry/orange combination, one of my favorites!

43 Nami | Just One Cookbook November 30, 2012

Scones are my most favorite among cupcakes and muffins! And among scones, cranberries come first as my favorite ingredient. Now you added orange zest, they seem even better. I just have to find the time to make these for myself!!

44 Terra December 1, 2012

You know how much I adore scones and cranberries! Soooooo, I so need one of those beauties! Yum, Hugs, Terra

45 Jean (Lemons & Anchovies) December 2, 2012

Pretty scones, Laura. I have an open bag of cranberries to use–this recipe would be perfect for them!

46 Lora @cakeduchess December 2, 2012

Scones are a fun last minute Sunday breakfast here. I want to try your recipe and really love cranberry and orange together:)

47 Hannah December 3, 2012

What lovely little bites, Laura! I was just looking at a carton of leftover buttermilk wondering what I should make…these scones will make a welcome after-school snack for my boys! Thanks for the tip on self-rising flour, too.

48 Baker Street December 6, 2012

a classic combination beautifully captured in these mini scones! LOVE it.

49 Jessica | Portuguese Girl Cooks December 6, 2012

What gorgeous little scones. I love cranberry and orange in the winter, its a wonderful combination.