chocolate chip & cranberry muffins

Muffins are the ultimate comfort food for me. I’m most likely to reach for one when I want to break out of my usual breakfast routine (granola with berries or dried fruit). Muffins are an especially nice way to begin a new week! Cinnamon adds warmth to these vanilla muffins, which are brimming with ruby-red dried cranberries and gooey chocolate chips.

This is my first time pairing chocolate with cranberry, and I was pleasantly surprised by the result – I love the balance of sweet and tart. I’m sharing this recipe as part of November’s Chocolate Party; scroll down below the recipe to see more chocolate and cranberry treats.

Chocolate Chip & Cranberry Muffins
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp plain nonfat yogurt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

2 Tbsp cranberries
2 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, yogurt, vegetable oil, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in cranberries and chocolate chips.

Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter, then sprinkle evenly with cranberries and chocolate chips. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

Mm, I don’t think I had cranberries and chocolate before – sounds like a great combo though. Does this mean you’re back from Italy now? I hope everything went ok Laura :)

i love having muffins for breakfast. they take the thinking out for me – plus, at that early in the morning, i’d prefer to grab my coffee & a muffin to go anyway! i love the chocolate chip and cranberries you added in this – perfect melody of flavors :)

Loving all of the chocolate party recipes! These muffins look so delish. I can only imagine how your house smelled while these were baking. Hope your trip to Italy was great and that you were able to visit with family even during a challenging time.

I have to agree with you I reach for comforting muffins too, I just love them. These muffins look pretty with the red berries and chocolate in them.

You know, come to think of it, I don’t know if I’ve ever had chocolate and cranberry together, either. I think these sound wonderful, though!!

Your food styling and photography, as well as the recipe for the muffins are just so perfect! Everything is all good in this post and I love the red color theme! Chocolate chips and craberries pop up from muffins. I wish to have a few muffins for myself for tomorrow breakfast… :)

I love muffins – I try to bake a batch every weekend so that I’ll have a mid-morning stack to nosh on at work (I’m like a farm animal – I have to constantly graze). These adorable muffins must be so moist from the buttermilk and yogurt – yum!

8. Lora @cakeduchess says

Muffins are a great way to start the week:)I would love one of these tonight -they look delicious, Laura:)

I love your cranberry-studded cupcakes! Never knew until this month’s chocolate party how well cranberries paired with chocolate! Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

• says

Oooops, sorry for the typo above! My husband was handing me a cupcake at the same time that I was typing . . . I truly meant to write “muffins”! My bad!

I totally agree – Muffins are the ultimate comfort food! And we are so in sync, Laura! Cranberry and chocolate chips – Yum! Love your pictures. The polka dot plates are too cute! :)