snickerdoodle loaf cake

October 25, 2012

in Cakes & Tea Cakes

Bittersweet. Simultaneously bitter and sweet sums up this week. On Monday evening, my grandmother passed away. Today I am getting on a plane bound for Rome. Grief and anticipation. Sadness and excitement. Mixed emotions, certainly. I’d like to dedicate this snickerdoodle loaf cake in her memory. She didn’t have much of a sweet tooth until the last few years of her life, but I remember her fondness for pound cakes. This cake isn’t one of her recipes, or even something I made for her, but I know she would have savored each bite.

With a tender crumb and cinnamon-sugar ribbon, this cake brings to mind my beloved snickerdoodles. Topped with an additional sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar and cinnamon chips, a generous slice makes a delicious afternoon snack – she would have served it to the ladies at her weekly bridge game. To Grandma, with love.

Snickerdoodle Loaf Cake
1 cup cake flour*
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature

Swirl & Topping
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and yogurt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg, beating until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture.

Whisk sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour half the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Use a small spatula to swirl the layers together. Spoon in remaining batter and smooth top with an offset spatula; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar and cinnamon chips.

Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.

Yield – 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

1 Doreen October 25, 2012

Beautiful Laura!! She is rejoicing with her Savior. And you my dear are on the sweetest adventure with your savior. ❤

2 Vijitha October 25, 2012

I have snickerdoodle cookies but never tasted a cake with it. I am liking the low fat version and I will try it for one of the parties. Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe.

3 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin October 25, 2012

Beautiful recipe, and what a wonderful tribute to your grandmother. Safe travels.

4 Valerie October 25, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. Life has a way of shaking things around sometimes, but I honestly think that you’re destined to make this trip to Rome at this precise moment in time.

Try not to allow too many clouds enter your thoughts. Enjoy yourself, lose yourself in new experiences, and come back refreshed and full of new recipe ideas. ♥

5 Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction October 25, 2012

So sorry about your grandmother. She will live on in your memories and the things you do. This is a lovely cake and I’m sure she knows you made it in her memory. Regards and have a safe trip.

6 The Café Sucré Farine October 25, 2012

Oh Laura, I’m so sad for you. I know this will be a difficult trip and you’ll be in my prayers. I’m sure you have a lot of wonderful memories of your grandmother that will be precious in the days to come.
Love your cake, love anything with snicker doodle name attached.
Take care my friend.

7 Patty October 25, 2012

I’m sorry for the loss of your grandmother -how sweet to create such a lovely pound cake in her memory. I’m also very excited for your trip to Italy-wow, you are really having a week of ups and downs- hang in there and have a wonderful trip, take care;-)

8 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 25, 2012

I’m so sorry for your loss. Thought and prayers are with you. Have a great time in Rome though. It’ll be such an experience! And this loaf is just fabulous. I really could use a whole loaf right about now :)

9 Cassie | Bake Your Day October 25, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother, Laura! What a beautiful tribute to her! Prayers are with you!! xoxo

10 Russell van Kraayenburg October 25, 2012

This cake looks so darn good! Yum!

11 Jen @ Savory Simple October 25, 2012

I’m terribly sorry for your loss. My grandpa passed away a few years ago and I knew it was coming but that didn’t lessen the impact. I know your grandma would love this cake.

12 Liz October 25, 2012

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma….and so nice to dedicate this post to her. May she RIP.

13 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet October 25, 2012

Oh, sweet Laura…. I am so sorry to hear about your loss…. You are in my thoughts….

14 foodwanderings October 25, 2012

How pretty. Love this loaf of cake. Yogurt must make it super moist!

15 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} October 25, 2012

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother! Sounds like she lived a long happy life. What a lovely dedication! Fly safe! This bread sounds amazingly delicious!

16 Julie @ Table for Two October 25, 2012

I’m so sorry for your loss :( This bread sounds and looks beautiful! Have a safe trip and *hugs* to you!

17 Suzanne Perazzini October 25, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother. What a sad reason to go to Rome. It is my favourite city in the world. I hope you eat lots of good food while there.

18 Terra October 25, 2012

I am truly sorry for your loss. Have a very safe trip over to Rome. What a beautiful way to celebrate your Grandma, she would be so happy! This loaf cake seriously sounds wonderful! Sending big hugs your way, Terra

19 Suzanne October 25, 2012

I’m sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away but glad you get to go to her funeral. Enjoy your time with family. If you run into Rowena say hello. Your loaf cake looks delish!

20 Carol | a cup of mascarpone October 25, 2012

Laura, sending my thoughts and prayers your way for the loss of your dear grandmother and for safe travels to Rome. Your beautiful faith will get you through this. This lovely loaf cake sounds perfectly wonderful!

21 Baker Street October 26, 2012

So sorry to hear about your grandmother, Laura! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! This is such a sweet dedication. I’m sure she’d love it. xo

22 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 26, 2012

So sorry for your loss Laura! I am sure your Grandma would have loved this cake, so pretty and sounds delicious. Thoughts are with you and your family!

23 Deb October 26, 2012

Laura I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. This post is a radiant tribute to her. You have prepared a tender cake to sweeten your memories, a sweet whisper of kindness.

24 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective October 26, 2012

Mmmm, love the addition of buttermilk. :)

25 Barbara | Creative Culinary October 26, 2012

Very sorry to hear of your loss and what a sweet tribute. Safe travels; my thoughts are with you and your family.

26 the wicked noodle October 26, 2012

I’m so, so sorry to hear about your grandmother, Laura. Safe travels to Rome and I hope all goes well.
Snickerdoodles always remind me of growing up. I can’t wait to try this cake!

27 Angela @AnotherBitePlease October 26, 2012

such pretty fall pictures!! and the cake looks so good too ;-)

28 roz October 26, 2012

Oh Laura,

You have one my heart over forever with this recipe! Snickerdoodles are my absolute favorite cookie on the planet and now you’ve given all of us a wonderful recipe for bread . . . a super down-fall for my weight control! But I thank you and will make this bread and enjoy the sweet smell of cinnamon floating through my home!

PS: I’m so sorry for the belated response to your request about where we stayed in Venice, Italy. For 6 nights, I redeemed my Marriott Rewards points that I had been saving up for 5 years. Sadly, the two Marriott hotels in Venice had ‘no room at the inn’, so we stayed up in Padua where St. Anthony hails from. Actually, for us, it worked out nicely in order to hop back onto the autostrado and head to Modena to visit my family the next day. If you can stay several days in Venice, I highly recommend it!!! It’s magical and mysterious, and romantic! And splurge at Harry’s Bar, of which I just posted their risotto recipe today. Please also go early, the line of tourists to enter the Basilica of San Marco was so insanely long that we did not venture in with my father in a wheelchair (and they have seen it before). You will meet so many people sitting in the Piazza enjoying an espresso, glass of wine, or Italian beer (yes, really!). Such an amazing place. Despite what I’ve read on-line, there is no odor or smell of any kind in Venice. It’s PURE JOY!

Ciao bella,
Roz

29 roz October 26, 2012

oops, Laura . . . sorry for the typo above: it should be ‘won’ and not ‘one’. I have some serious jet lag lingering in my brain! Buon Viaggio dear (Good travels),

Roz

30 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings October 26, 2012

So sorry to hear about your loss, Laura. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you are in Italy right now, so try to enjoy as much as you can! What a beautiful loaf in honour of your grandma. I’m sure she is enjoying this!

31 Magic of Spice October 27, 2012

I am so sorry for your loss Laura. The pound cake looks amazing and I am sure she would love it.
Wishing you a safe trip!

32 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 27, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear of your grandmother’s passing, my heart goes out to you and your family.

33 Mercedes October 27, 2012

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Laura. This cake looks so warm and comforting, I hope that it was for you!

34 Anne@FromMySweetHeart October 28, 2012

Beautiful and scrumptious looking cake! I am so sorry for your loss, Laura. And I wish you and your family peace in the coming days.

35 Charles October 28, 2012

Aw, I’m sorry Laura! Didn’t your grandmother comment here once or twice? I could have sworn I’d seen comments before, but perhaps I’m thinking of someone else’s blog.

I wish you a safe trip, and I hope the coming days won’t be too tough.

36 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) October 28, 2012

Laura, I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost my last grandparent a few years ago and it was a sad time indeed.

I hope your time in Rome is putting a smile on your face. Safe travels.

37 Karen (Back Road Journal) October 28, 2012

This is a lovely way to show your love for your grandmother. I’m sorry that you lost her but I know you have wonderful memories of the times spent with her.

38 Deborah October 28, 2012

What a wonderful way to remember your grandmother!!

39 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 28, 2012

Laura I am so sorry for your loss :(

40 Gina October 28, 2012

Laura, I’m so sorry about your Grandmother. I hope your trip won’t be too bittersweet. This poundcake is a lovely way to remember her. Will be thinking of you.
-Gina-

41 Rosa October 29, 2012

What a delicious looking/sounding cake! I am a sucker for anything cinnamony.

Cheers,

Rosa

42 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 29, 2012

I’m so so sorry for your loss, Laura. Know that she is in better place. That’s a delicious tribute in her honor. Safe travels. xo

43 Sandra's Easy Cooking October 29, 2012

I am so sorry about your loss Laura! I know it’s never easy to lose someone precious especially that close, but try to enjoy your trip..I know she would want you to do so! This is beautiful loaf cake, Laura!

44 Nami | Just One Cookbook October 30, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear your loss of your grandma. I lost my grandpa this summer too and it wasn’t easy as I couldn’t see him for one last time. It must have been crazy busy for you before leaving for the trip, emotionally and physically. Hope you are having a nice time there.

45 Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice November 1, 2012

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother’s passing. I understand what you’re going through. My grandmother passed away on the 3rd of July this year, just two weeks after our wedding. We were planning a visit to her (in Amman, Jordan) quite literally this week… and now we’re here in Australia, can’t help but wish she was still with us and we could see her.

Very sweet of you to bake in her honor, and channel her memory with something sweet and positive.

46 Lora @cakeduchess November 2, 2012

mi dispiace veramente per la tua nonna. I’ve been following your photos on twitter/fb. Your loaf cake is gorgeous and your nonna would be proud:)xo

47 Angela @AnotherBitePlease November 2, 2012

so sorry for your loss…grandparents hold such a special place in our lives. safe travels.

48 di November 8, 2012

Belated but so very sorry for your loss. My Grandmother was not a baker so much but she encouraged me along the way to bake, to cook and keep my family close, she also gave me all of leftover book club books, which she never called a book club. The loss is great the memories precious.