snickerdoodle loaf cake

Bittersweet. Simultaneously bitter and sweet sums up this week. On Monday evening, my grandmother passed away. Today I am getting on a plane bound for Rome. Grief and anticipation. Sadness and excitement. Mixed emotions, certainly. I’d like to dedicate this snickerdoodle loaf cake in her memory. She didn’t have much of a sweet tooth until the last few years of her life, but I remember her fondness for pound cakes. This cake isn’t one of her recipes, or even something I made for her, but I know she would have savored each bite.

With a tender crumb and cinnamon-sugar ribbon, this cake brings to mind my beloved snickerdoodles. Topped with an additional sprinkle of cinnamon-sugar and cinnamon chips, a generous slice makes a delicious afternoon snack – she would have served it to the ladies at her weekly bridge game. To Grandma, with love.

Snickerdoodle Loaf Cake
1 cup cake flour*
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature

Swirl & Topping
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
3 Tbsp cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and yogurt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg, beating until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture.

Whisk sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour half the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with half the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Use a small spatula to swirl the layers together. Spoon in remaining batter and smooth top with an offset spatula; sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar and cinnamon chips.

Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

*Make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.

Yield – 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Comments

1. Doreen says

Beautiful Laura!! She is rejoicing with her Savior. And you my dear are on the sweetest adventure with your savior. ❤

I have snickerdoodle cookies but never tasted a cake with it. I am liking the low fat version and I will try it for one of the parties. Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe.

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. Life has a way of shaking things around sometimes, but I honestly think that you’re destined to make this trip to Rome at this precise moment in time.

Try not to allow too many clouds enter your thoughts. Enjoy yourself, lose yourself in new experiences, and come back refreshed and full of new recipe ideas. ♥

Oh Laura, I’m so sad for you. I know this will be a difficult trip and you’ll be in my prayers. I’m sure you have a lot of wonderful memories of your grandmother that will be precious in the days to come.
    Love your cake, love anything with snicker doodle name attached.
    Take care my friend.

I’m sorry for the loss of your grandmother -how sweet to create such a lovely pound cake in her memory. I’m also very excited for your trip to Italy-wow, you are really having a week of ups and downs- hang in there and have a wonderful trip, take care;-)

I am truly sorry for your loss. Have a very safe trip over to Rome. What a beautiful way to celebrate your Grandma, she would be so happy! This loaf cake seriously sounds wonderful! Sending big hugs your way, Terra

I’m sorry to hear that your grandmother passed away but glad you get to go to her funeral. Enjoy your time with family. If you run into Rowena say hello. Your loaf cake looks delish!

Laura I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother. This post is a radiant tribute to her. You have prepared a tender cake to sweeten your memories, a sweet whisper of kindness.

Oh Laura,

You have one my heart over forever with this recipe! Snickerdoodles are my absolute favorite cookie on the planet and now you’ve given all of us a wonderful recipe for bread . . . a super down-fall for my weight control! But I thank you and will make this bread and enjoy the sweet smell of cinnamon floating through my home!

PS: I’m so sorry for the belated response to your request about where we stayed in Venice, Italy. For 6 nights, I redeemed my Marriott Rewards points that I had been saving up for 5 years. Sadly, the two Marriott hotels in Venice had ‘no room at the inn’, so we stayed up in Padua where St. Anthony hails from. Actually, for us, it worked out nicely in order to hop back onto the autostrado and head to Modena to visit my family the next day. If you can stay several days in Venice, I highly recommend it!!! It’s magical and mysterious, and romantic! And splurge at Harry’s Bar, of which I just posted their risotto recipe today. Please also go early, the line of tourists to enter the Basilica of San Marco was so insanely long that we did not venture in with my father in a wheelchair (and they have seen it before). You will meet so many people sitting in the Piazza enjoying an espresso, glass of wine, or Italian beer (yes, really!). Such an amazing place. Despite what I’ve read on-line, there is no odor or smell of any kind in Venice. It’s PURE JOY!

Ciao bella,
    Roz

• says

oops, Laura . . . sorry for the typo above: it should be ‘won’ and not ‘one’. I have some serious jet lag lingering in my brain! Buon Viaggio dear (Good travels),

Roz

Aw, I’m sorry Laura! Didn’t your grandmother comment here once or twice? I could have sworn I’d seen comments before, but perhaps I’m thinking of someone else’s blog.

I wish you a safe trip, and I hope the coming days won’t be too tough.

Laura, I’m so sorry about your Grandmother. I hope your trip won’t be too bittersweet. This poundcake is a lovely way to remember her. Will be thinking of you.
    -Gina-

I am so sorry about your loss Laura! I know it’s never easy to lose someone precious especially that close, but try to enjoy your trip..I know she would want you to do so! This is beautiful loaf cake, Laura!

I’m so sorry to hear your loss of your grandma. I lost my grandpa this summer too and it wasn’t easy as I couldn’t see him for one last time. It must have been crazy busy for you before leaving for the trip, emotionally and physically. Hope you are having a nice time there.

I’m so sorry to hear about your grandmother’s passing. I understand what you’re going through. My grandmother passed away on the 3rd of July this year, just two weeks after our wedding. We were planning a visit to her (in Amman, Jordan) quite literally this week… and now we’re here in Australia, can’t help but wish she was still with us and we could see her.

Very sweet of you to bake in her honor, and channel her memory with something sweet and positive.

15. Lora @cakeduchess says

mi dispiace veramente per la tua nonna. I’ve been following your photos on twitter/fb. Your loaf cake is gorgeous and your nonna would be proud:)xo

16. di says

Belated but so very sorry for your loss. My Grandmother was not a baker so much but she encouraged me along the way to bake, to cook and keep my family close, she also gave me all of leftover book club books, which she never called a book club. The loss is great the memories precious.