pumpkin-chocolate swirl bundt cake

Baking with pumpkin is a cherished part of this season; I love the texture and moistness it gives to cookies and muffins, and pumpkin is the ideal backdrop to my preferred warming spices – cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg. Last October, I made pumpkin-chocolate chip bars and fell for pumpkin with chocolate in a big way. I have long wanted to make a swirl bundt cake, so adding a rich devil’s food chocolate swirl to my pumpkin spice batter was a natural next step.

Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake | Tutti Dolci

When the cake is served warm, you’ll discover that the chocolate swirl becomes deliciously gooey – I recommend having a cold glass of milk or a steaming mug of coffee at the ready. I’m sharing this recipe as part of October’s Chocolate Party; see more scrumptious pumpkin and chocolate creations below!

Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Bundt Cake
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs
1 cup pure pumpkin
2 Tbsp maple syrup
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tbsp low-fat milk

Whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes); add eggs one at a time and beat well. Combine pumpkin, maple syrup, yogurt, and milk in a small bowl. Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat until just combined. Add pumpkin mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture.

Chocolate Batter
1/2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Whisk together boiling water and cocoa, then set aside to cool. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes); add egg and beat well. Whisk yogurt into cooled cocoa mixture. Add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture and beat until just combined. Add cocoa mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips.

Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a 12-cup bundt pan with nonstick spray. Spoon half of pumpkin batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Layer with chocolate batter and remaining pumpkin batter, smoothing each layer. Insert a skewer about 2 inches into batter and gently swirl the chocolate and top pumpkin layers together. Smooth top and tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles.

Bake 35 to 36 minutes, until cake begins to pull away from edges of pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully invert onto rack and cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Comments

The swirl of chocolate in this cake is so pretty! And the fact the recipe calls for fat-free yogurt and milk means that it’s okay to indulge in more that a few slices! 😀

Morning Laura! Your bundt cake looks beautiful – the presentation on silver platter and dark background… really stunning! The chocolate swirl in the pumpkin cake looks very appealing. Just saw your pumpkin chocolate bars too. I’ve never tried this combination before and I’m very curious. I know it’s good!! Lovely autumn dessert. By the way, the pumpkin decoration in the back is made of fabrics or paper? They are pretty!

Laura, this looks lovely. I love the combination of chocolate and pumpkin. The Fall spices work so well with chocolate too. Your Bundt cake came out perfectly and your photographs are wonderful as always. :)

Such a beautiful bunt cake, love the pumpkin and chocolate swirled together, this would be such a wonderful cake to bake for company;-)
    I love baking this time of year too;-)

Laura…this looks absolutely delicious! All of those ‘warming spices’ that go well with pumpkin…..I love in chocolate too! This look so moist. Such a pretty cake and a great way to use our main ingredients! (going to check out your pumpkin chocolate chip bars too!)

I wish that my bundt cake ever come out like yours. Wow..looks so fantastic and delicious! I need to take some classes from you:) Stunning pics and yummy cake for sure! Thanks sweetie for sharing and have a lovely week!!!!!

This looks delicious! A beautiful recipe too, just perfect for the fall weather as it approaches us. I’ll be trying this one soon. I hope you enjoy your week. Be well!

~Kate

Laura you have the best treats! I could, and have, spend hours looking through your blog for inspiration. Pumpkin and chocolate are two of my favorite things in this world. Your bundt cake looks out of this world:) Love the colors in your photos too.

As we travel around Italy, I often see heaps of pumpkins sitting in front gardens, right on the road. I haven’t worked out if that is to encourage us to stop and relieve them of some of the excess or just for show. I think the combination of chocolate and pumpkin is ingenious.

10. Lora @cakeduchess says

Nothing like pumpkin and chocolate. I think I need to make another bundt after seeing your beauty:)Love it. xx

I am so hung up on Bundt recipes right now. It’s hard to believe I live a few miles from the Nordicware factory here in MN, and I recently bought my first Bundt pan. Who knew how pretty and fun Bundt recipes could be?

Your recipe is next on my list!