peanut butter swirl brownies

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments on my last post – I’ve been touched by each one and I appreciate your kind words at a difficult time. As I mentioned, I am traveling in Italy this week. I’m currently in Rome and had the opportunity to visit Eataly, a marketplace celebrating Italian food and purveyors with my blogger friend Rowena from Apron and Sneakers. If you have a passion for Italy or Italian cuisine, her blog is a must-read! I will share photos from our visit when I return.

In the meantime, these peanut butter swirl brownies are squares of pure decadence! If chocolate, peanut butter, or fudge appeals to you, these are your kind of brownies (I suggest enjoying one with a cold glass of milk). I scattered a handful of mini chocolate peanut butter cups over the batter for added indulgence; I just wonder why it took me this long to develop these brownies!

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
3/4 cup flour
6 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup mini peanut butter cups, halved

Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with 1 sheet of parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over each end. Place butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes. Spread batter evenly in lined pan.

Place peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat until slightly melted, about 20 seconds. Dollop peanut butter over brownie batter and swirl gently with a skewer or metal spatula. Tap pan once to remove air bubbles; scatter mini peanut butter cups over batter, pressing gently. Bake for about 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with batter. Cool completely on a wire rack (chill 20 minutes in the freezer to speed cooling).

When ready to serve, lift up the ends of the parchment and transfer the brownies to a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 24 brownies (serving size: 1 brownie)

Comments

These are definitely my kind of brownies!! With hurricane Sandy approaching, these will keep everyone happy for sure. I hope you’re able to enjoy at least part of your time in Italy. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

Besides how incredible these brownies look, I love your choice of the animal print in the background – perfect choice! I’m glad I was able to see the brownies before our power inevitably goes out due to “Sandy!” I know you’re enjoying Italy, Laura, and loving all the instagram photos taking us there with you!

These brownies look lethally addictive. 😀 Peanut butter and chocolate are such an irresistible combo!

Based on your Instagram photos, you’re having a delicious time in Rome!! I can’t wait to hear all about it when you return. :)

Oh my goodness, these brownies are calling me. Chocolate and peanut butter is not a combination that Australians embrace but I love it. I was in Canberra, the national capital, over the weekend and there’s a huge American embassy complex and I found Reese’s peanut butter cups in a cafe. My husband looked at me and said, “Your inner American coming out, dear?” as he reached for one when paying the bill. He knows me.

I made a recipe similar to these and they were so yummy! What’s not to love about peanut butter and chocolate uniting in any medium! I hope you are enjoying your trip!

Squares of pure decadence! How irresistible! I’ve haven’t finalized my Halloween baking and the autumn color palette of orange and brown in the Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies are drawing me into their wicked web of delight! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip to Italy!

So happy to hear you and Weng got to meet! I can tell you are having a great time there. :) These brownies look fabulous – the creamy PB and mini peanut butter cups make the brownies look extra cute and delicious. Enjoy the rest of your trip! And yes, do share some pictures when you return! Meanwhile I’ll check your IG!

Likewise Laura, I had a splendid time with you in Eataly. I enjoyed taking pictures with you around the place. Even if I had taken pics there before, having another foodie beside me, appreciating everything made it more special! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I am so sorry to hear this news, Laura.

I cannot believe you are even blogging! The brownies look amazing, but in between intl travel, a funeral, and a whirlwind of all of this, I cant even imagine how crazed and out of sorts you must feel (or that you’re baking!)…take care and my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

10. Lora @cakeduchess says

So happy you’re visiting all those amazing in cities in bella Italia. Your photos are taking me back:) Love these decadent brownies and would love one now!