peanut butter swirl brownies

October 29, 2012

in Bars & Bites

Thank you all for your thoughtful comments on my last post – I’ve been touched by each one and I appreciate your kind words at a difficult time. As I mentioned, I am traveling in Italy this week. I’m currently in Rome and had the opportunity to visit Eataly, a marketplace celebrating Italian food and purveyors with my blogger friend Rowena from Apron and Sneakers. If you have a passion for Italy or Italian cuisine, her blog is a must-read! I will share photos from our visit when I return.

In the meantime, these peanut butter swirl brownies are squares of pure decadence! If chocolate, peanut butter, or fudge appeals to you, these are your kind of brownies (I suggest enjoying one with a cold glass of milk). I scattered a handful of mini chocolate peanut butter cups over the batter for added indulgence; I just wonder why it took me this long to develop these brownies!

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
3/4 cup flour
6 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup mini peanut butter cups, halved

Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with 1 sheet of parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over each end. Place butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes. Spread batter evenly in lined pan.

Place peanut butter in a small microwave-safe bowl and heat until slightly melted, about 20 seconds. Dollop peanut butter over brownie batter and swirl gently with a skewer or metal spatula. Tap pan once to remove air bubbles; scatter mini peanut butter cups over batter, pressing gently. Bake for about 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with batter. Cool completely on a wire rack (chill 20 minutes in the freezer to speed cooling).

When ready to serve, lift up the ends of the parchment and transfer the brownies to a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 24 brownies (serving size: 1 brownie)

1 the wicked noodle October 29, 2012

These are definitely my kind of brownies!! With hurricane Sandy approaching, these will keep everyone happy for sure. I hope you’re able to enjoy at least part of your time in Italy. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

2 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 29, 2012

Those are really beautiful would be perfect for some of the upcoming holiday parties. I was drooling over my Instagram when you posted that pizza picture – amazing!

3 marissa @ the boot October 29, 2012

these look stellar. period. and i can’t wait to hear all about italy!

4 Carol | a cup of mascarpone October 29, 2012

Besides how incredible these brownies look, I love your choice of the animal print in the background – perfect choice! I’m glad I was able to see the brownies before our power inevitably goes out due to “Sandy!” I know you’re enjoying Italy, Laura, and loving all the instagram photos taking us there with you!

5 Valerie October 29, 2012

These brownies look lethally addictive. :D Peanut butter and chocolate are such an irresistible combo!

Based on your Instagram photos, you’re having a delicious time in Rome!! I can’t wait to hear all about it when you return. :)

6 claire @ the realistic nutritionist October 29, 2012

Can you deliver these to me? They look incredible!!!

7 Vijitha October 29, 2012

That looks so good. One of the easy recipe to try. I love the peanut butter and chocolate combination. I am going to try it for sure.

8 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 29, 2012

You went to Italy? Without me?! Not sure if we can be friends anymore…

Well, maybe with these brownies, we’ll be okay! :) They look freakishly amazing. I totally want to skip lunch so I can have this instead!

9 tanja@tanjascookingcorner October 29, 2012

I would never refuse such a wonderful looking brownie- deeeelicious :)
Wonderful background too, like it very much!
Hope you are having a wonderful time in Italy! Enjoy!

10 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 29, 2012

Oh em gee–get in my belly!

11 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 29, 2012

Oh my goodness, these brownies are calling me. Chocolate and peanut butter is not a combination that Australians embrace but I love it. I was in Canberra, the national capital, over the weekend and there’s a huge American embassy complex and I found Reese’s peanut butter cups in a cafe. My husband looked at me and said, “Your inner American coming out, dear?” as he reached for one when paying the bill. He knows me.

12 Mercedes October 29, 2012

I made a recipe similar to these and they were so yummy! What’s not to love about peanut butter and chocolate uniting in any medium! I hope you are enjoying your trip!

13 Sandra's Easy Cooking October 29, 2012

Nom Nom…those look sinfully good, Laura! I can’t wait to see more pics but looking at IG, you are having my favorite dishes :)

14 suzanne Perazzini October 30, 2012

Rowena’s blog is great. You must have had a great day out with her in Rome. Enjoy the rest of your trip – as much as possible under the circumstances.

15 Deb October 30, 2012

Squares of pure decadence! How irresistible! I’ve haven’t finalized my Halloween baking and the autumn color palette of orange and brown in the Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies are drawing me into their wicked web of delight! Can’t wait to hear more about your trip to Italy!

16 Rachael {SimplyFreshCooking} October 30, 2012

I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your Grandmother! :( Prayers for you and your family!!!!!

17 Nami | Just One Cookbook October 30, 2012

So happy to hear you and Weng got to meet! I can tell you are having a great time there. :) These brownies look fabulous – the creamy PB and mini peanut butter cups make the brownies look extra cute and delicious. Enjoy the rest of your trip! And yes, do share some pictures when you return! Meanwhile I’ll check your IG!

18 Jen @ Savory Simple October 30, 2012

Enjoy your time in Italy! I’ve wanted to travel there for so long.

19 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers October 30, 2012

Likewise Laura, I had a splendid time with you in Eataly. I enjoyed taking pictures with you around the place. Even if I had taken pics there before, having another foodie beside me, appreciating everything made it more special! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

20 Amy October 30, 2012

Would this work with natural peanut butter? They look so delicious!

21 Tutti Dolci October 31, 2012

I haven’t tried using natural PB, but it should work fine if you heat it briefly first!

22 Jennifer @ Delicieux October 30, 2012

Those brownies look fantastic Laura! Such pretty swirls! I hope you are having a wonderful time in Italy. Definitely at the top of the list of places I’d love to visit one day!

23 Terra October 30, 2012

Safe travels my sweet friend! Anyway to make a brownie that much better, well sounds pretty fantastic to me! Gorgeous, Hugs, Terra

24 Suzanne October 30, 2012

I love pb and chocolate brownies Laura! I hope your enjoying your visit to Italy and time with family. Have a safe trip hope. xoxox

25 Baker Street October 31, 2012

PB and chocolate brownies are the best! I’d never say no to such a wonderful treat! Hope you have a safe trip back home! :)

26 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} October 31, 2012

What a lovely combination and I bet they did not last long in your house. Hope Italy is treating you well. Pinning these now to make later. Thank you for sharing.

27 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) October 31, 2012

Chocolate and peanut butter together? Magic combination. My husband had ice cream last night with the same combo and I had to stop taking bites of it. So good! I bet these are even better. :)

28 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 31, 2012

How cool you got to met up with Rowena – hope you are enjoying your time in Italy. These brownies look amazing! I think you know about my brownie obsession, and then you add peanut butter – yum!

29 what katie's baking October 31, 2012

you cannot go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter. these would be devoured in five minutes in my house!

30 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet October 31, 2012

Way to combine chocolate and pb – in a brownie! Yum! Thinking of you in this hard time ..

31 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 31, 2012

How absolutely delicious and drool making! Have fun in Italy-what a gorgeous country! :D I can’t wait to read the post!

32 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 31, 2012

I am so sorry to hear this news, Laura.

I cannot believe you are even blogging! The brownies look amazing, but in between intl travel, a funeral, and a whirlwind of all of this, I cant even imagine how crazed and out of sorts you must feel (or that you’re baking!)…take care and my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

33 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction November 1, 2012

These look wonderful! Chocolate and peanut butter is a favorite! Enjoy your time in Italy!

34 Kankana November 1, 2012

Now, that’s Indulgence with Capital I :D Have fun in Italy girl.

35 Karen (Back Road Journal) November 1, 2012

Your decadent brownies would put a smile on anyone’s face that gets a chance to try one.

36 Nancy/SpicieFoodie November 1, 2012

Hi Laura,
I hope you are having a great trip -Italy is a gorgeous country. These brownies look amazing. Thanks for sharing!

37 Lora @cakeduchess November 2, 2012

So happy you’re visiting all those amazing in cities in bella Italia. Your photos are taking me back:) Love these decadent brownies and would love one now!

38 Angela @AnotherBitePlease November 2, 2012

I so want to make these now…but need to get to store for the mini pb cups!!!! pinning…again safe travels and hope you are enjoying Rome – the history there is so amazing.

39 Magic of Spice November 4, 2012

So wonderful that you and Rowena were able to meet up…how fun!
And your brownies are just a delight! Hope you are having an amazing trip :)

40 Joan@Chocolateandmore November 7, 2012

This is pure decadence! Hope you’re enjoying Italy, someday I’d love to visit there.