cinnamon chip, maple, & oatmeal cookies

October 15, 2012

in Cookies

On a recent evening, I found myself with nothing for dessert except a fresh tub of vanilla bean ice cream. As I searched the pantry for something to dress up my bowl of plain vanilla, I happened upon a bag of cinnamon chips and a bottle of maple syrup. I was two bites into my cinnamon chip and maple sundae (warm the maple syrup before drizzling!) when the idea of using those elements in a cookie came to me. After two quickly disappearing batches, I can say that these cinnamon chip, maple, and oatmeal cookies are perfection.

Cinnamon Chip, Maple, & Oatmeal Cookies | Tutti Dolci

Maple and cinnamon perfume the chewy oatmeal cookies while the King Arthur Flour cinnamon mini baking chips melt into each bite. Stay tuned for an upcoming recipe with cinnamon chips and the chance to win your own bag!

Cinnamon Chip, Maple, & Oatmeal Cookies
1 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place oats on a baking sheet; toast until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove oats from oven and place in a medium bowl; whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in maple syrup, egg, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Fold in cinnamon chips.

Form 1 1/4″ balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

1 Lan | angry asian October 15, 2012

i like that these are great for dessert but the best is that they also qualify for breakfast with the addition of the rolled oats.

2 Cassie October 15, 2012

How brilliant is this! I love when amazing desserts come out of nothing but just searching the pantry! I have been loving cinnamon chips lately!

3 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 15, 2012

I have been eyeing those mini chips in the KAF catalog. Those cookies look great!

4 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking October 15, 2012

These cookies look fabulous Laura! Love the warm fall flavors you used. Thanks for sharing!

5 Nami | Just One Cookbook October 15, 2012

I just saw the review of these cinnamon chips on the link and everyone seem to love this! I can create savory recipes but I still don’t know how to come up with a dessert recipes with inspiration I get. Like I have no idea how much flour or butter to add etc… It’s been a good learning for me to check baked goods recipes! You make such a wonderful desserts/snacks, Laura!

6 Suzanne October 15, 2012

I do love cinnamon chips and cookies so there isn’t anything I don’t love here! They are cute and perfect little gems to pack in a lunch, thanks Laura!

7 Liz October 15, 2012

I love, love oatmeal cookies…and a new kind to try just makes my day :)

8 Valerie October 15, 2012

Simple vanilla ice cream leads to so many wonderful things. (I can’t wait to try warm maple syrup on ice cream.) This cookie inspiration was a stroke of genius! They look wonderfully autunm-y!!

9 Vijitha October 15, 2012

That looks so delicious. What a brilliant idea!!! I am loving every recipe in your blog. They are so freaking good Laura.

10 Carol | a cup of mascarpone October 15, 2012

I adore cinnamon chips from KAF, but never put them with rolled oats and maple syrup. The combination is awesome! I seriously want to bite one of those cookies through my computer screen! LOL Seriously! Love them, Laura!

11 Patty October 15, 2012

Beautiful cookies and I love your creative idea of combining these flavors!
KAF mini cinnamon chips are the best;-)

12 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers October 15, 2012

I love oats and I love cinnamon. Your baked goodies are always wonderful to look at and I can’t imagine how good they are!

13 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 15, 2012

A cinnamon chip and maple sundae?! AMAZING! And I’m so glad you turned these into cookies. Although I’m sure they’d be really dangerous to have around the house. I thank you in advance for my weight gain :)

14 foodwanderings October 15, 2012

Honestly, I really need to bake with oats or oatmeal soon. Been long overdue. I was on a wave love the nuttiness and health but somehow need to revamp. Thanks for the inspiration!

15 Mercedes October 15, 2012

This cookies just scream fall! I have never tried cinnamon chips but I am sure I would love them!

16 Anna @ Hidden Ponies October 15, 2012

I’ve never used cinnamon chips, they sound perfect for fall baking! I can never have too many good cookie recipes, these look like a definite winner.

17 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings October 15, 2012

Hmmm, we don’t get those cinnamon chips here in Canada yet (I feel like such a backwards nation now…hahaha). Mmmmm, I can smell the spices and maple and oatmeal going on…I hope when I wake up tomorrow morning, the cookie fairy will have some ready for me :) LOL!

18 Baker Street October 15, 2012

I want that bag of cinnamon chips and i’ll start off by making these delicious cookies! love the flavors you picked, Laura! :)

19 Lora @cakeduchess October 16, 2012

You remind me to buy some cinnamon chips this season. I only found them once last year. Such a simple and flavorful cookie I’d love for breakfast this morning, Laura:)

20 Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today October 16, 2012

I so want a bag of this cookies. And your pictures are amazing. It makes me want them even more :)

21 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 16, 2012

Oh those Hershey’s cinnamon chips are so addictive! I can’t be alone with a packet :P I can imagine how fabulous they would be in these cookies!

22 Kate@Diethood October 16, 2012

Oooooh look at that bag with those pretty cookies!!! I WANT!

23 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 16, 2012

Best. Idea. Ever.

24 Averie @ Averie Cooks October 16, 2012

Cinnamon chips are hard to come by for me but when I find them, they are like nothing else. So good!

25 Gina October 16, 2012

That does it, I’m ordering my cinnamon chips right now. I’ve been seeing those chips pop up and I want them so bad, lol. Especially if they are in cookies.
-Gina-

26 The Squishy Monster October 16, 2012

Nothing but ice cream= best problem ever and THEN, it led you to these amazing cookies!

27 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 16, 2012

Love the flavors in these cookies! Perfect!

28 Suzanne Perazzini October 16, 2012

Those are the sort of cookies that are delicious to eat raw too. It takes me back to licking the bowls in my grandmother’s kitchen when a child.

29 la signorina pici e castagne October 16, 2012

I do love cinnamon and maple syrup, I only can imagine the flavour of your cookies!!!!

30 Riley October 16, 2012

Cinnamon chips sound great! These look delicious and I can’t wait to give them a go!

31 the wicked noodle October 16, 2012

It sounds like your ideas come to you much in the same way mine do. Isn’t it fun when it hits you?! And what a great idea this one was – YUM! {Also, I love the idea of warming up maple syrup to put on ice cream. I think a sprinkle of crushed red pepper would be yummy with it, too!}

32 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 16, 2012

What a great combination for a cookie – maple and cinnamon were made for each other!

33 Deb October 16, 2012

I adore King Arthur Flour products! Each new catalog demands all my attention as soon as it arrives. I have yet to try the cinnamon chips but I can see I will need to remedy this situation soon, as your cookies are just splendid!

34 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) October 16, 2012

Now I know where to get cinnamon chips, yay! I was at the store the other day and it occurred to me to pick some up but was unlucky in my search. Good thing for your upcoming giveaway! Can’t wait! :)

35 Kankana October 16, 2012

cinnamon baking chips! never heard of those before but is a sure shot pantry requirement specially for this season :)

36 Jen @ Savory Simple October 17, 2012

I love the photos! I’ve never used cinnamon chips but the sound awesome.

37 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective October 17, 2012

Love how PUFFY they are. And I bet they were magic with that vanilla ice cream. :)

38 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet October 17, 2012

How adorable are these! And full of delicious flavors. Cinnamon chips – they’re calling my name!!

39 claire @ the realistic nutritionist October 17, 2012

I am starving. this looks SO GOOD.

40 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 17, 2012

This cookies has everything delicious!! yum :)

41 ally October 17, 2012

look at these morsels of delicious love! talent, my lady!
xo

42 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} October 17, 2012

What a lovely combination of flavors. Love that you shopped in your pantry. I bet these did not last long in your house!11

43 Marina {YummyMummyKitchen.com} October 17, 2012

YES! I need one or five of these immediately! YUM! I love cinnamon chips.

44 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) October 17, 2012

Cinnamon , maple and oats are indeed a heavenly combination
We don’t get cinnamon chips here sadly but I will keep looking :)

45 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 18, 2012

Mmm…. love the combination of cinnamon and maple together!

46 Nancy/SpicieFoodie October 21, 2012

Cinnamon is perhaps my favorite dessert spice. The cookies look so pretty and I can image how delicious they taste. Beautiful photos Laura:)

47 Michelle October 21, 2012

I’m not sure why I haven’t thought of maple syrup–warm maple syrup–on icecream before, but I definitely want to try it now! You won me over to cooking with balsamic vinegar (maybe not on icecream yet) so why not maple syrup!

48 The Hungry Mum October 23, 2012

Oh.My.Goodness. This looks super amazing.

49 Laurie October 28, 2012

I made these yesterday, so good! I’d never toasted oats before and they added a wonderful flavor. I used a full teaspoon of cinnamon and whole wheat white flour, plus cane sugar instead of white, but otherwise stuck pretty closely to the recipe. Very delicious. I love your creativity and hope I can get to the point of inventing my own recipes as well. Really great cookies. I blogged them too.