caramelized pear streusel bread

October 4, 2012

in Breads & Quick Breads

I’m beginning to sense the chill in the morning air when I throw open the windows and doors to let the sun in. I hurry to make my morning espresso, wanting to soak in the marvelous warmth. I crave a comforting breakfast, too. A slice of this caramelized pear streusel bread is just what I need to start the day.

Caramelized Pear Streusel Bread | Tutti Dolci

Filled with tender nuggets of caramelized pear and warming spices, I could make a batch of these breads weekly – in fact, I baked these twice in three days! Don’t forget about the streusel topping – it adds a lovely sprinkle of indulgence.

Caramelized Pear Streusel Bread

1/3 cup brown sugar

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. For the pears, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pears and brown sugar; sauté until tender and golden, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in pears.

For the streusel topping, whisk together oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Divide batter evenly between loaf pans; top with streusel.

Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 23 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely. Wrap breads well and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Warm before serving.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

1 Michelle October 4, 2012

Mmmm, sounds good.
Btw, I’m thinking of having roasted balsamic peaches (your recipe) and steak for dinner sometime this week! :-P

2 Valerie October 4, 2012

Yum! That oatmeal-laced streusel topping looks irresistible!!

3 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar October 4, 2012

I love this bread, Laura, from the crumb to the crust! savory topping (for a moment I thought they were nut pieces) and so tasty and juicy batter!
Thanks for the recipe, I’ll do it for sure ;-)

4 kako October 4, 2012

Gracias por esta maravillosa receta!

5 Cassie October 4, 2012

Love this! Streusel topping on anything is so perfect. Love the flavor combo, Laura!

6 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking October 4, 2012

I’ve been in a fruit-baking mood lately and although I have no pears at the moment I’m saving the recipe to try it over the weekend when I buy some from the farmers market. Loving it <3

7 fabiola@notjustbaked October 4, 2012

These look amazing Laura. They look super inviting, warm, moist, and delicious. Fall is my favorite season. Everything winding down a bit, the chilly air, crispness, and baked yummy bread.

8 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious October 4, 2012

“Tender nuggets of caramelized pear” – you’re killing me here! These look amazing, and you’ve wrapped them up so nicely!

9 Jen @ Savory Simple October 4, 2012

What a gorgeous bread! We *were* having a chill in the air and then it suddenly got hot and humid again out of nowhere. Come back, chill!

10 Jenn and Seth October 4, 2012

these sound so delicious and look super cute! awesome job!

11 Kari@Loaves and Dishes October 4, 2012

I think streusel should be atop all desserts. This is a terrific way to use beautiful fall pears.

12 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers October 4, 2012

If you open a bakery, I will be right there at your front door, always ahead of the pack. I love all your creations and this one looks sooooo good! Same here, we had the chill, then heat & humidity, now the temp is slowly going down but not really so typical of autumn.

13 Patty October 4, 2012

I love baking with pears and the way you’ve packaged your delicious loaves, somebody will be very happy to receive baked bread from your kitchen;-)

14 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) October 4, 2012

Beautiful! It is just starting to get crisp here too – that would be perfect with a hot cup of coffee on a weekend morning!

15 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures October 4, 2012

Oh my, the combination of caramelized pears and streusel sounds simply amazing!

16 brighteyedbaker October 4, 2012

You know that somethings good when you make it more than once in a few days. This combination sounds so tasty! “Caramelized” and “crumble topping” are always welcome words in my book.

17 Mercedes October 4, 2012

I have been sleeping so well thanks to the cooler air and open windows! Fall is definitely in the air! I sometimes like pears even more than apples and I bet they make this bread especially moist!

18 Hannah October 4, 2012

Such a lovely breakfast bread, Laura! I love the addition of buttery pears, and streusel topping is irresistible.

19 Kate@Diethood October 4, 2012

Loving this!! I have a pear tree that is full, and I am collecting recipes from all over the place to use them up. Your creation is going to be in that oven very very soon.

20 Terra October 4, 2012

I love when we can create a recipe that has us going back to the kitchen for more! Your bread really does look fantastic, and seriously that streusel top looks AWESOME! Hugs, Terra

21 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings October 4, 2012

Mmmm…I would add a dash of pear brandy on this one. Lovely – just lovely! I wish I had an unlimited supply of free time to bake all your goodies, Laura! Your kitchen must smell terrific, day in and day out!

22 Rosa October 4, 2012

Delicious! I love everything about your bread. A wonderful way of celebrating fall.

Cheers,

Rosa

23 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella October 4, 2012

OK when I read this line “Filled with tender nuggets of caramelized pear and warming spices” I started to drool! :D

24 Minnie(@thelady8home) October 5, 2012

O Wow. Thats a great one. Really tempting.

BTW do join my weekend dinner extravaganza. I would be really happy if you all make it a success.

25 Carol | a cup of mascarpone October 5, 2012

That chunk of caramelized pear sticking out of the slice of the bread is driving me crazy!!! I want to be able to put it in my mouth! These look lovely, Laura! Love the beautiful touch with the wrapping, too! Have a beautiful Friday!

26 The Café Sucré Farine October 5, 2012

Laura – these little breads look amazing. They would be so amazing for gift-giving but I’m afraid they’d never make it out my door. Sorry friends, neighbors, co-workers …………..in advance!

27 Lora @cakeduchess October 5, 2012

Caramelized any thing makes me happy. Caramelized pear bread-oh my goodness. Just love this streusel quick bread and want a slice now with my coffee. Enjoy the temp changes-I’m envious;)

28 Suzanne October 5, 2012

Yum this sounds like a lovely bread, years ago I had a friend that gave me tons of pears from his tree and I made a bread like this and it was so good. I Thanks for the reminder of how good pears can be in baked goods.

29 the wicked noodle October 5, 2012

These are so pretty with that paper wrapped around them. What a wonderful gift to give someone!

30 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective October 5, 2012

That is just stunning. And a great edible gift!

31 Jenn October 5, 2012

These are beautiful Laura!! Love the labels too! Will be making these…

32 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction October 5, 2012

Love this flavor combination! What a delicious bread!

33 Deb October 5, 2012

It’s that time of year when I am torn between bringing home apples or pears. After seeing this scrumptious recipe with caramelized pears, I know pears will find their way into my shopping cart this week, a lovely fall post!

34 Susan October 5, 2012

Just beautiful, Laura! I love baking with pears & this flavor combination sounds unbeatable!

35 Lan | angry asian October 5, 2012

Laura, this is so so so pretty! what a wonderful way to start the day!

36 Jill@MadAboutMacarons October 5, 2012

The bread definitely looks a treat, especially as we need to eat more pears. That oat topping? I would make extra batches of it and throw it on all our autumn desserts!

37 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme October 5, 2012

What a lovely combo! I would love this with my coffee in the morning! I can just smell this baking in my kitchen now… :)

38 Charles October 5, 2012

Totally agree – although I’m usually not that wide awake in the morning to enjoy coffee… it’s usually a case of tumbling out of bed, into my clothes, down to the car and off I go to work :D

Lovely looking bread though – I love streusel… I can’t believe I’d never had it until early last year… what was I missing?!!!

39 Christina @ The Hungry Australian October 5, 2012

Oh what a lovely idea! A gorgeous recipe – and I love stresuel!

40 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) October 5, 2012

I would consider a slice or two of this bread a great start to my morning, too. The streusel topping makes it A++. :)

41 Liz October 5, 2012

I haven’t made pear bread in eons! Yours looks so moist and incredible!!! Beautifully presented…I’d be filled with glee if I received a loaf :)

42 Lizzy (Good Things) October 5, 2012

Laura, how very delicious!

43 Monet October 5, 2012

Beautiful bread, Laura. Anything with fall fruits and a touch of caramelization makes me happy. What a satisfying recipe! Thank you for sharing…and whetting my appetite for something sweet. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

44 GourmetGetaways October 6, 2012

YUM! Caramelised pear!!! Oh so delicious sounding. The way you have presented them is just so cute too! Love it! These will have to go into the kids school lunches :)

45 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} October 6, 2012

What a stunning bread! Love the fall flavors and the caramelization. I bet these went fast in your house. Happy Saturday!!!

46 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen October 6, 2012

Mmm….caramelized pears sound wonderful!

47 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef October 6, 2012

I make little quickbreads like this too but I’ve never put fancy wrappers on them like you did. Very clever!

I haven’t made caramelized pear streusel and I’m dying to taste it.

48 Liren October 6, 2012

Oh my, I can see why you baked so much this week! I’m not sure what is making me swoon more, the caramelized pear or the streusel. I’m glad this has both!

49 suzanne Perazzini October 7, 2012

The texture of your loaf looks great. It’s still not that cool here in Italy and I am not complaining. Apparently back in NZ, it is not being so kind weatherwise so I want to stay here.

50 Anna @ hiddenponies October 7, 2012

I love breads like this, and the streusel topping is definitely a must :)

51 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com October 7, 2012

Truly wish I could say the same thing about the weather here in Florida. Cannot wait to feel the autumn chill.

The breads look so yum and cute!

52 Katie@Cozydelicious October 7, 2012

This looks wonderful! I love pear anything and this bread sounds fantastic. I need to get some mini loaf pans!

53 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles October 7, 2012

I keep asking myself why I haven’t yet baked with pears! This looks so good, right up my alley.

54 marissa @ the boot October 8, 2012

WOW! these are gorgeous! i love your little labels! isn’t streusel on everything amazing?

55 Baker Street October 8, 2012

“Filled with tender nuggets of caramelized pear and warming spices” – Yes, yes. Who would possibly say no to a slice or in my case – the loaf. ;)

56 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel October 8, 2012

YUMMMM. This bread looks heavenly! Love the chunks of pears–a totally underrated fruit in my opinion! Definitely need to stock up on some and make this.

57 Nami | Just One Cookbook October 8, 2012

Hi Laura – sorry I’m a bit late here but I adore your mini size breads… One day I need to invest on those smaller pans so that I can decorate like you did for this delicious bread. Also I’ve never made streusel with the bread, so I have to work on that too. Every time I see your post, I’m inspired by something new. :)

58 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts October 9, 2012

Gorgeous bread – what a great flavor. And I love the presentation, how cute!

59 Grammy October 11, 2012

I just took the loaves of Caramel Pear Strusel Bread out of the oven. Papa couldn’t wait for it to cool and neither could I. It is moist, light, and has just a touch of cinnamon and the sweetness of the carmelized pears.
I think it will be even more flavorful the next day as the flavors meld. I will love having them in my freezer for unexpected guests.
Thank you Laura for this most delicious recipe.