toasted oatmeal, pecan, & chocolate chip cookies

September 13, 2012

in Cookies

As the warm September days give way to cooler evenings, cravings shift toward satisfying treats. While I’m not quite ready to dive headfirst into fall baking, I would never say no to cookies brimming with toasted oats and chocolate chips. A handful of toasted chopped pecans imparts the subtle richness I’m after.

These golden and chewy cookies are the kind that inspire me to search for a designated “cookie jar” so that I’m always prepared for an afternoon pick-me-up. So tell me, do you have a cookie jar? What’s your favorite kind of cookie?

Toasted Oatmeal, Pecan, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place oats on a baking sheet; toast until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove oats from oven and place in a medium bowl; whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.

Form 1-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

1 Valerie September 13, 2012

These cookies look so chubby and happy! What a great idea to toast the oatmeal…I’ll have to try that very soon!

My kitchen counter is too small, as is my will power, to handle having a cookie jar. But my favourite cookie would have to be the classic chocolate chip! :)

2 Carol | a cup of mascarpone September 13, 2012

I would love one of these right now, Laura! They look delicious! To answer your questions, my favorite cookie has always been any style oatmeal cookie! I don’t have a cookie jar, per se, but I use a big blown glass jar with a screw-on lid for cookies and biscotti – kind of has a pumpkin shape and indentations. I love it because the cookies themselves become the beauty of the jar!

3 The Café Sucré Farine September 13, 2012

These look crazy good! And of course your photography is totally amazing, as usual. I’ve made some cookies with toasted oatmeal and it makes an unbelievable difference.

4 Emily @ She Makes and Bakes September 13, 2012

These cookies look divine! I want to pop one in my mouth now!

5 Deb September 13, 2012

No cookie jar here! My family is so spoiled that they insist on drop cookies made to order, warm from the oven. (How did I let that happen!) And Chocolate Chips are the favorite. Toasting the oatmeal is inspired, a great way to begin the autumn of our baking! I’ll report back from the cookie monsters!

6 marla September 13, 2012

going to try this with cinnamon chips!

7 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 13, 2012

I was at another post the author was asking if we have a cookie jar. :D I don’t, and wish to have it filled with all kinds of cookies! I also wish to have a baker friend nearby who can fill that jar… LOL. Okay I know I know, I should bake my own. :) I asked the other person too, but how long can you keep the cookies in the jar? Do they get stale easily (even in air tight jar compared to let’s say ziploc)? Your oatmeal +pecan + choco cookies sound very good!

8 Patty September 13, 2012

I love the toasted oats and pecans in your delightful cookies, would love to have a cookie jar full of these right now;-) Also, love your blue plate, very pretty pictures:-)

9 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme September 13, 2012

These are incredible, Laura! I have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies, they are my favorite. I am always looking for new and creative ways to make them. I love the addition of the toasted oatmeal and pecans. I would need to make a batch of these just for myself! :)

10 Cassie September 13, 2012

My cravings are totally shifting too. It’s grey outside today and raining is falling down and all I want is hot tea, a bowl of soup and my slippers! And a side of these cookies wouldn’t hurt either. :)

11 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 13, 2012

I have been really into Pecans lately – these look delicious!

12 Laura @ Family Spice September 13, 2012

I definitely prefer pecans to walnuts and these sound like fabulous cookies. BUT, my all time favorite cookie will always be the chocolate chip!

13 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } September 13, 2012

Love a great cookie recipe and yours sounds just perfect! Anything with pecans is right up my alley. Pinning now to make soon! :-)

14 Mercedes September 13, 2012

What a great combination! I love nuts in my cookies, especially pecans!

15 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings September 13, 2012

The name alone of the cookie is enough warrant for me to start drooling and thinking about getting myself that cookie jar! Hey, hey, I like-y this! Pinning for future baking projects…

16 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 13, 2012

These are definitely my kind of cookie! And I totally need a cookie jar too!

17 Rosa September 13, 2012

I’ve never used toasted oatmeal in a recipe. Something I’ll have to try. Those cookies look wonderful and tempting. I bet I could not stop with one…

Cheers,

Rosa

18 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 13, 2012

I wish I had a cookie jar-one that was full of these cookies Laura!! :D

19 Minnie(@thelady8home) September 14, 2012

I want one of those cookies just now. :-D Why one, infact how about all of those. They looks so so delicious.

20 Jen @ Savory Simple September 14, 2012

Mmm I’ve been crazing pecans so these cookies look especially awesome right now!

21 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective September 14, 2012

This is the perfect cookie for fall!

22 the wicked noodle September 14, 2012

Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies always bring back memories of childhood for me. It might be hard to stray from mom’s recipe but I’m pretty sure I could be persuaded to give these a try. The pecans sound like a great addition!

23 claire @ the realistic nutritionist September 14, 2012

Your photos are SO PRETTY. I want to bask in that light.

These cookies look DIVINE!

24 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction September 14, 2012

I would love a cookie jar full of these cookies!

25 Kankana September 14, 2012

Todays weather is perfect for baking and these cookies reminded me it’s been a while since I baked a batch!!

26 Sandra's Easy Cooking September 14, 2012

When you said “These golden and chewy cookies” I was already sold without reading the recipe :)) Beautiful cookies and very very tasty! Thanks for sharing dear and have a fab weekend!

27 marissa @ the boot September 14, 2012

these must be full of flavor laura, yum!

28 Heather @ Bake, Run, Live September 14, 2012

I do have a cookie jar, but it has cat-nip in it (spoiled cats!). My favorite cookies are brown butter chocolate chip cookies!

29 Liz September 14, 2012

Mmmmmm….I adore oatmeal cookies (and cookie dough!), but I’ve never toasted my oats! I will try this soon :)

30 Terra September 15, 2012

A warm, chewy cookie is pretty fantastic on a chilly day for sure! Your recipe looks wonderful, and i adore your addition of toasted pecans, perfect flavor combination in a cookie! :-) Hugs, Terra

31 foodwanderings September 15, 2012

Toasted probably brings out even more so the nuttiness of the oats. Lovely cookies. I bet the kids will love them with the addition of the chocolate chips. Good way to get oats in them! :)

32 Julia September 15, 2012

Beautiful presentation! And simple recipe, too.

33 Baker Street September 16, 2012

it has oatmeal, nuts and chocolate – I think this could be my new favorite cookie!

34 Hannah September 16, 2012

Oats and chocolate together – definitely a favorite! Your cookies look scrumptious. I’m just getting into fall desserts (apple cobbler in the oven at the moment) but we still have peaches, so I know there will be a bit more summer baking. Molasses cookies are another favorite and that’s always my go-to fall cookie. Love your photos!

35 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 16, 2012

I love that you are toasting oats before making these cookies and your bars the other day. I have never thought of that, but it has to give it such a great flavor!

36 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 16, 2012

I LOVE oatmeal cookies and yours remind me that I havent made any in ages. And with the choc chips, mmm, I want some!

37 Riley September 16, 2012

I think my favorite cookie would have to be regular ole chocolate chip! These cookies here look wonderful!

38 vianney September 16, 2012

Yummy,yummy yum!! I can’t wait to try these, swoon!!

39 Ali | Gimme Some Oven September 17, 2012

These look so delightful! Yum!!!

40 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers September 18, 2012

I have an empty cookie jar and I would love to have your cookies in them Laura! Your cookies are always soooo delicious looking!

41 Lora @cakeduchess September 19, 2012

I love the blue you chose for the photos-so pretty, Laura. Delicious cookies. I think my favorite is always my mom’s chocolate chip cookies. They never make it to the jar over here:)

42 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel September 19, 2012

These remind me of those pecan sandies, which remind me of my grandma. Though these are homemade and therefore look exponentially better than the store version, I couldn’t help but think of her when I saw these. Totally delish.

43 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 19, 2012

These cookie would definitely calm my sweet tooth in the afternoon.
Funny thing, I just made some chocolate chip cookie and oatmeal cookies. You combined both of them in one ;)

44 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) September 20, 2012

Sadly, I don’t have a cookie jar but if I did and it was used for goodies like these cookies, it would always be half- or near-empty. They wouldn’t last long at all in my house. I’ve been away for three weeks and all I want to do is bake–need to add these to my list. :)

45 Veronica of Muy Bueno September 25, 2012

I have to try these…I love oatmeal cookies and my kids love chocolate chip cookies so I’m hoping we both fall in love with these…yum! I have just the cookie jar for them too.

46 Angela @AnotherBitePlease November 19, 2012

i made and LOVED. I can’t wait to make again…i just kept eating and eating and grabin one for breakfast – hello there is oatmeal so so breakfast food!

47 Tutti Dolci November 19, 2012

Angela, so glad you loved the cookies! I completely agree – anything with oatmeal can qualify as breakfast :).