toasted oatmeal, pecan, & chocolate chip cookies

As the warm September days give way to cooler evenings, cravings shift toward satisfying treats. While I’m not quite ready to dive headfirst into fall baking, I would never say no to cookies brimming with toasted oats and chocolate chips. A handful of toasted chopped pecans imparts the subtle richness I’m after.

These golden and chewy cookies are the kind that inspire me to search for a designated “cookie jar” so that I’m always prepared for an afternoon pick-me-up. So tell me, do you have a cookie jar? What’s your favorite kind of cookie?

Toasted Oatmeal, Pecan, & Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Cooking Light
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place oats on a baking sheet; toast until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove oats from oven and place in a medium bowl; whisk in flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.

Form 1-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Cool for 1 minute on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 36 cookies (serving size: 1 cookie)

These cookies look so chubby and happy! What a great idea to toast the oatmeal…I’ll have to try that very soon!

My kitchen counter is too small, as is my will power, to handle having a cookie jar. But my favourite cookie would have to be the classic chocolate chip! :)

I would love one of these right now, Laura! They look delicious! To answer your questions, my favorite cookie has always been any style oatmeal cookie! I don’t have a cookie jar, per se, but I use a big blown glass jar with a screw-on lid for cookies and biscotti – kind of has a pumpkin shape and indentations. I love it because the cookies themselves become the beauty of the jar!

No cookie jar here! My family is so spoiled that they insist on drop cookies made to order, warm from the oven. (How did I let that happen!) And Chocolate Chips are the favorite. Toasting the oatmeal is inspired, a great way to begin the autumn of our baking! I’ll report back from the cookie monsters!

I was at another post the author was asking if we have a cookie jar. 😀 I don’t, and wish to have it filled with all kinds of cookies! I also wish to have a baker friend nearby who can fill that jar… LOL. Okay I know I know, I should bake my own. :) I asked the other person too, but how long can you keep the cookies in the jar? Do they get stale easily (even in air tight jar compared to let’s say ziploc)? Your oatmeal +pecan + choco cookies sound very good!

I love the toasted oats and pecans in your delightful cookies, would love to have a cookie jar full of these right now;-) Also, love your blue plate, very pretty pictures:-)

6. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says

These are incredible, Laura! I have a weakness for chocolate chip cookies, they are my favorite. I am always looking for new and creative ways to make them. I love the addition of the toasted oatmeal and pecans. I would need to make a batch of these just for myself! :)

My cravings are totally shifting too. It’s grey outside today and raining is falling down and all I want is hot tea, a bowl of soup and my slippers! And a side of these cookies wouldn’t hurt either. :)

I’ve never used toasted oatmeal in a recipe. Something I’ll have to try. Those cookies look wonderful and tempting. I bet I could not stop with one…

Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies always bring back memories of childhood for me. It might be hard to stray from mom’s recipe but I’m pretty sure I could be persuaded to give these a try. The pecans sound like a great addition!

A warm, chewy cookie is pretty fantastic on a chilly day for sure! Your recipe looks wonderful, and i adore your addition of toasted pecans, perfect flavor combination in a cookie! :-) Hugs, Terra

Toasted probably brings out even more so the nuttiness of the oats. Lovely cookies. I bet the kids will love them with the addition of the chocolate chips. Good way to get oats in them! :)

Oats and chocolate together – definitely a favorite! Your cookies look scrumptious. I’m just getting into fall desserts (apple cobbler in the oven at the moment) but we still have peaches, so I know there will be a bit more summer baking. Molasses cookies are another favorite and that’s always my go-to fall cookie. Love your photos!

13. Lora @cakeduchess says

I love the blue you chose for the photos-so pretty, Laura. Delicious cookies. I think my favorite is always my mom’s chocolate chip cookies. They never make it to the jar over here:)

Sadly, I don’t have a cookie jar but if I did and it was used for goodies like these cookies, it would always be half- or near-empty. They wouldn’t last long at all in my house. I’ve been away for three weeks and all I want to do is bake–need to add these to my list. :)

• Tutti Dolci says

Angela, so glad you loved the cookies! I completely agree – anything with oatmeal can qualify as breakfast :).