espresso brownies

I don’t use the expression “best-ever” often. It’s a weighty pronouncement to make, especially when it comes to brownies. I will say this: if you like fudgy brownies and have a weakness for espresso-flavored desserts, then these are the best-ever espresso brownies. Are you headed to the kitchen yet?

Espresso Brownies | Tutti Dolci

When you add instant espresso and chopped chocolate-covered espresso beans to the fudgiest brownie of all time, you’ll find yourself on the path to brownie nirvana. Add a layer of espresso frosting and you’ll reach espresso bliss. You also may find yourself slightly more caffeinated in the process!

Espresso Brownies

4 oz reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/4 tsp instant espresso
Unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
12 chocolate-covered espresso beans, halved

Preheat oven to 325°F and line a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with 1 sheet of parchment paper, allowing 2 inches to hang over each end. Place butter, sugar, cocoa powder, espresso, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes. Fold in espresso beans. Spread batter evenly in lined pan.

Bake for 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out slightly moist with batter. Cool completely on a wire rack (chill 20 minutes in the freezer to speed cooling). For the frosting, beat butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Combine milk, vanilla, and espresso in a small ramekin, stirring to combine. Add to butter mixture and beat on medium speed until airy. Spread evenly over brownie layer with an offset spatula. Cover and chill in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.

When ready to serve, lift up the ends of the parchment and transfer the brownies to a cutting board; cut into squares using a sharp knife. Dust brownies with cocoa and top with a halved espresso bean. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days.

Yield – 24 brownies (serving size: 1 brownie)

Comments

I adore these, Laura! Couldn’t wait to see them after the IG teaser this weekend. I love coffee & espresso flavor in desserts, it’s one of my favorites!

You know what Laura, I think these are THE BEST brownies! I love espresso – flavor and aroma, and that in brownies? Oh my, I think it sounds so heavenly!! I need caffeine all day long to keep up with my kids. I’d drink espresso and eat your brownies. If you see someone hyper on the street, that’s me! 😉

Oh Yummy!! I wish I could head into the kitchen and bake up a batch of your espresso brownies but I need to run out and pick up a bag of the chocolate covered espresso beans but no worries- I know right where to find them;-)

I made brownies this weekend…..now I need to make more! I have a feeling it is totally okay to call them Best-Ever! Love the frosting too, so beautiful! Hugs, Terra

I agree on your statement about “best ever” comments. I rarely, almost never, make claims to such. If I ever do, I usually qualify it – “these are the best ever brownies I’ve baked this year” etc. etc. LOL.

Your brownies look terrific! When I doze off tonight, guess what I’ll be dreaming of eating in la-la-land? You bet! These brownies!

6. Lora @cakeduchess says

If a recipe is titled “best-ever”, I’m very inclined to test it out;)Your brownies look divine:)I’m all about coffee flavor and this is the perfect little afternoon treat (w/a cup of coffee;)xx

Hi laura,
    Those brownies look insanely good. Chocolate and coffee is the best combination ever. I love the expresso in this. I feel like grabbing one, right away!

8. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says

These definitely look like the best-ever brownies! I definitely have a weakness for espresso flavored desserts so I just might need to brew some espresso and give these a try! :)

Simply my favorite combo every; chocolate and espresso. I’ve done them in many variations for brownies but have never added those adorable espresso beans and I have some now in the cupboard. I would just have to remember not to eat them at night…or I would have to call you at 3am when I couldn’t sleep. Deal? :)