apple-chocolate ebelskivers with nutella glaze

September 3, 2012

in Breakfast & Muffins

The only thing better than a stack of fluffy golden pancakes is a pile of ebelskivers, puffy pancakes from Denmark that can be filled with anything from fruit or chocolate to jam or cheese. In this instance, the two-bite pancakes envelop a tender apple and chocolate chip filling, and a quick Nutella glaze makes a scrumptious topping. A special pan is required – I like this one from Williams-Sonoma.

For the apple filling, I used a blend of sweet Fuji apples and the no-name variety pictured here, a sweet-tart apple. These bites taste best the day they’re made so share with a crowd – I promise they’ll disappear in a flash! I’m sharing this recipe as part of September’s Chocolate Party; see more delicious chocolate apple treats below or join the party with your own creation!

Apple-Chocolate Ebelskivers with Nutella Glaze
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
Filling
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 cups peeled and grated apples (1 1/2 cups sweet apple, 1 1/2 cups tart apple)
2 Tbsp brown sugar

5 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Glaze
3 Tbsp Nutella
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp water

For the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; sauté until golden and reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain off any excess liquid.

For the batter, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl; whisk in buttermilk, yogurt, and vanilla until combined. Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until combined – batter will be slightly lumpy. Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until stiff but not dry peaks form. Using a spatula, carefully fold egg whites into the batter in 2 additions.

Preheat oven to 175°F and have a baking sheet ready to store cooked ebelskivers on. Spray ebelskiver pan with nonstick spray; heat over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of batter and cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbles begin to form. Top with 1/2 teaspoon apple filling and 3 or 4 chocolate chips. Add another tablespoon of batter and cook until bottoms are golden, about another minute. Use two chopsticks to flip the ebelskivers and cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes more. Place cooked ebelskivers in a single layer on a baking sheet in the warm oven up to 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

(Note: the ebelskiver pan retains heat well – I reduced the temperature to medium-low after cooking the first batch of ebelskivers. Also, I cooked two batches of ebelskivers before wiping out the pan and re-spraying with nonstick spray.)

For the glaze, place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 to 45 seconds. Whisk in powdered sugar and water; drizzle glaze over ebelskivers and serve warm.

Yield – 36 ebelskivers
Calories – 80 (per pancake)

1 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 3, 2012

I have never heard of Ebelskivers before. I really want some now though, these look incredible. And I love the Nutella glaze!

2 Liz September 3, 2012

This is reason enough to buy an ebelskiver pan :) Beautifully done!!!

3 Valerie September 3, 2012

Apples, chocolate, and Nutella? Yes, please! I have always wanted to make Ebelskivers from scratch, they look wonderful!!

4 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 3, 2012

I totally need to buy that pan from WS and make this ASAP! That Nutella glaze is so inviting!

5 The Café Sucré Farine September 3, 2012

Oh, guess what? I have that pan, my son bought it for Christmas for me and I haven’t used…….. it but now I know exactly what to do with it, these look amazing and I love that red and white napkin, so…… pretty!

6 Joan@Chocolate and More September 3, 2012

These sound wonderful, I might just have to try these with my muffin pan and see how they come out. I’ll have to because I just have to try these!

7 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 3, 2012

How beautiful and interesting – I never heard of Ebelskivers before and am so intrigued!

8 Carol | a cup of mascarpone September 3, 2012

These sound heavenly, Laura! Thank you for introducing this new sweet to me! It gives me a reason to own another kitchen gadget! :)

9 Suzanne September 3, 2012

Oh I bet these little sweet pancakes are to die for with apples and chocolate chips plus nutella glaze sounds wonderful. Pretty photos too!

10 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings September 3, 2012

You make the awesome-st desserts! I keep seeing the ebekskivers cookbook at Williams-Sonoma and have been meaning to try it! Yours looks fab, fab, fab – wanna try it NOW!

11 Terra September 3, 2012

Okay, I have never heard of ebelskivers, but I love pancakes…..SO I would for sure adore this lovely treats! I love your addition of apple, they look fantastic! Hugs, Terra

12 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 3, 2012

I thought these looked familiar. They’re called Poffertjes here in Australia and they’re very popular. You can find a stall for them at nearly every farmer’s market or fair and the pans are readily available too. These look great!

13 Minnie(@thelady8home) September 3, 2012

Nutella being my fav, this one I am surly going to try. This is sounding so awesome!!

14 Michelle September 3, 2012

I was excited to see on your twitter that you had posted an ebelskiver recipe! I’ve made them a few times since I got the pan last Christmas. I’m excited about trying out these variations on the batter and filling! Plain cream cheese, or cream cheese with apricot jam are really good fillings too! :D

15 Patty September 3, 2012

Beautiful job on your chocolate apple creation- I love the way you drizzle your chocolate;-) I have an ebelskiver pan so I will have to put it to good use and try your recipe!

16 brighteyedbaker September 3, 2012

Yay! You taught me something new today; I’ve never heard of ebelskivers before. I love what you did with them though. The chocolate apple combination sounds great, and anything with chocolate and nutella is good in my book!

17 Deborah September 3, 2012

Ebelskivers remind me of an old roommate that I had years and years ago. These look awesome!!

18 Muna Kenny September 3, 2012

Never heard of Ebelskivers before, but it sure looks yummy!

19 Suzanne Perazzini September 3, 2012

I have never heard of these but they sound like an amazing idea. My son often makes pikelets so I will have to tell him of this little secret addition I want in the middle.

20 anna September 3, 2012

oh my goodness i love ebelskivers! they remind me of the holidays because i always eat them on new years with a particular friend. aw :) apple and chocolate sound delicious together!

21 Rosa September 3, 2012

What a gorgeous fall treat! I wish I had an ebelskiver pan…

Cheers,

Rosa

22 Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama September 4, 2012

Wow!! This looks fantastic! Can you come make me breakfast?!

23 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 4, 2012

i thought i was lucky i don’t have a William Sonoma close by or our wallet will get thinner and thinner but now I want one so I can buy a pan. My grandam used to make us almost every weekend. We called them donuts-balls :))
Yours look great! I love the apple-chocolate filling and the Nutella glaze, mmm
Thanks for accepting my invitation to share the love for chocolate :)

24 Jen @ Savory Simple September 4, 2012

I have never heard of ebelskivers! They’re adorable!

25 Baker Street September 4, 2012

Ebelskivers!!! Yum. I’ve always wanted to make them! your apple filling sounds incredible and the chocolate glaze just takes these up a notch!

26 Lora @cakeduchess September 4, 2012

Ebelskivers are dangerous because they are so small and you think you can eat more;)That apple filling is divine. Nutella glaze-wow!

27 Nancy/SpicieFoodie September 4, 2012

OMG, my mouth is seriously watering! I need to go and get one of those special pans to make your Ebelskivers. That or I’m coming over ;)

28 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme September 4, 2012

These are so creative and are just beautiful! I definitely need to get my hands on one of those pans! Twist my arm it looks like a trip to Williams-Sonoma for me! ;)

29 Ali | Gimme Some Oven September 4, 2012

These look delightful! And love that glaze. ;)

30 fabiola@notjustbaked September 4, 2012

So excited about these little treats, I have never tried them before. Let alone made them before. But there is a first for everything. I love the filling too, so these are going on my make on day list.

31 Kathy September 4, 2012

Wow…these sound so wonderfully delicious!! Apples and nutella…Yum!!

32 Deb September 4, 2012

I have seen the fresh crop of apples and have resisted their temptation while I savor the last of the stone fruit. But after reading your post it is time to admit fall is slowly overtaking summer! And ebelskivers with apples and chocolate are a delightful way to welcome the new season!

33 Amanda September 4, 2012

nutella? apple? count me in! it looks totally delicious!

34 foodwanderings September 4, 2012

OMG I got Ebelskivers pan in an antique shop but yet to use it. Your Ebelskivers came out beautifully golden! I can’t wait to make them!

35 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 4, 2012

I’ve never tried ebelskibers although I have a cookbook of them. You’ve inspired me to take another look at them! :D

36 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective September 5, 2012

Sweet little pillows of goodness!! I want!

37 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 5, 2012

The WS’s Ebelskiver pan has been on my wish list for a while. I just cannot justified that I’d be using it often (especially because I wanted a waffle maker and now it’s my husband’s job to make waffles… LOL!). Apple & chocolate and Nutella glaze… you are teasing me. How could I resist. I just need to make sure it won’t end up with my husband’s job to make these pancakes again. Love your styling, Laura!

38 Russell van Kraayenburg September 5, 2012

Those guys look fantastic! I would eat one million of these easily!

39 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures September 5, 2012

I’ve never had Ebelskivers – they look and sound delicious! Love the combo of apples and Nutella. I’ll have to keep my eye out for one of these pans.

40 kyleen September 5, 2012

Filled pancakes?!? I’m mindblown. These little babies look so yummy. I wish I had a plate of those for breakfast tomorrow.

41 Faith September 6, 2012

These are so beautiful, and definitely the perfect fall treat! I would love to wake up to a plate of these little lovelies and a cup of coffee!

42 Katherine Martinelli September 6, 2012

So cool! I never knew what those pans were before. These look absolutely dreamy.

43 Hannah September 6, 2012

Oh my, just catching up on your posts now, Laura, and these look scrumptious! I indulged in ebelskivers when in Denmark years ago – such a treat! Your filling combination has my mouth watering.

44 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } September 6, 2012

You just reminded me that I need to purchase one of these ebelskiver pans. My sister makes them all the time. Lovely recipe and photos!!!!

45 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen September 8, 2012

I never had this kind of pancakes, but they look really fantastic and the glaze is dreamy on them!

46 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers September 8, 2012

I had these in Denmark once and I remembered how good they were! I wish I have the pan so I can make them too. Yours look so delicious! They are making me hungry!

47 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 9, 2012

I found a cast iron Ebelskiver pan at the thrift store for $5 bucks about 3 mos ago and have yet to break it in….I need to!

These look fabulous!

48 Laura @ Family Spice September 13, 2012

I’ve never heard of ebelskivers. Now I need to find that pan!