apple-chocolate ebelskivers with nutella glaze

The only thing better than a stack of fluffy golden pancakes is a pile of ebelskivers, puffy pancakes from Denmark that can be filled with anything from fruit or chocolate to jam or cheese. In this instance, the two-bite pancakes envelop a tender apple and chocolate chip filling, and a quick Nutella glaze makes a scrumptious topping. A special pan is required – I like this one from Williams-Sonoma.

For the apple filling, I used a blend of sweet Fuji apples and the no-name variety pictured here, a sweet-tart apple. These bites taste best the day they’re made so share with a crowd – I promise they’ll disappear in a flash! I’m sharing this recipe as part of September’s Chocolate Party; see more delicious chocolate apple treats below or join the party with your own creation!

Apple-Chocolate Ebelskivers with Nutella Glaze
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 cups peeled and grated apples (1 1/2 cups sweet apple, 1 1/2 cups tart apple)
2 Tbsp brown sugar

1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
5 large egg whites, at room temperature
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

3 Tbsp Nutella
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbsp water

For the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; sauté until golden and reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and drain off any excess liquid.

For the batter, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Lightly whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl; whisk in buttermilk, yogurt, and vanilla until combined. Add egg yolk mixture to flour mixture; whisk just until combined – batter will be slightly lumpy. Place egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; beat on high speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until stiff but not dry peaks form. Using a spatula, carefully fold egg whites into the batter in 2 additions.

Preheat oven to 175°F and have a baking sheet ready to store cooked ebelskivers on. Spray ebelskiver pan with nonstick spray; heat over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of batter and cook for about 2 minutes, until bubbles begin to form. Top with 1/2 teaspoon apple filling and 3 or 4 chocolate chips. Add another tablespoon of batter and cook until bottoms are golden, about another minute. Use two chopsticks to flip the ebelskivers and cook until golden on the bottom, about 2 minutes more. Place cooked ebelskivers in a single layer on a baking sheet in the warm oven up to 30 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

(Note: the ebelskiver pan retains heat well – I reduced the temperature to medium-low after cooking the first batch of ebelskivers. Also, I cooked two batches of ebelskivers before wiping out the pan and re-spraying with nonstick spray.)

For the glaze, place Nutella in a small bowl and microwave until melted, about 30 to 45 seconds. Whisk in powdered sugar and water; drizzle glaze over ebelskivers and serve warm.

Yield – 36 ebelskivers
Calories – 80 (per pancake)

Oh, guess what? I have that pan, my son bought it for Christmas for me and I haven’t used…….. it but now I know exactly what to do with it, these look amazing and I love that red and white napkin, so…… pretty!

Okay, I have never heard of ebelskivers, but I love pancakes…..SO I would for sure adore this lovely treats! I love your addition of apple, they look fantastic! Hugs, Terra

I thought these looked familiar. They’re called Poffertjes here in Australia and they’re very popular. You can find a stall for them at nearly every farmer’s market or fair and the pans are readily available too. These look great!

I was excited to see on your twitter that you had posted an ebelskiver recipe! I’ve made them a few times since I got the pan last Christmas. I’m excited about trying out these variations on the batter and filling! Plain cream cheese, or cream cheese with apricot jam are really good fillings too! 😀

Beautiful job on your chocolate apple creation- I love the way you drizzle your chocolate;-) I have an ebelskiver pan so I will have to put it to good use and try your recipe!

Yay! You taught me something new today; I’ve never heard of ebelskivers before. I love what you did with them though. The chocolate apple combination sounds great, and anything with chocolate and nutella is good in my book!

oh my goodness i love ebelskivers! they remind me of the holidays because i always eat them on new years with a particular friend. aw :) apple and chocolate sound delicious together!

i thought i was lucky i don’t have a William Sonoma close by or our wallet will get thinner and thinner but now I want one so I can buy a pan. My grandam used to make us almost every weekend. We called them donuts-balls :))
    Yours look great! I love the apple-chocolate filling and the Nutella glaze, mmm
    Thanks for accepting my invitation to share the love for chocolate :)

9. Lora @cakeduchess says

Ebelskivers are dangerous because they are so small and you think you can eat more;)That apple filling is divine. Nutella glaze-wow!

10. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says

These are so creative and are just beautiful! I definitely need to get my hands on one of those pans! Twist my arm it looks like a trip to Williams-Sonoma for me! 😉

I have seen the fresh crop of apples and have resisted their temptation while I savor the last of the stone fruit. But after reading your post it is time to admit fall is slowly overtaking summer! And ebelskivers with apples and chocolate are a delightful way to welcome the new season!

The WS’s Ebelskiver pan has been on my wish list for a while. I just cannot justified that I’d be using it often (especially because I wanted a waffle maker and now it’s my husband’s job to make waffles… LOL!). Apple & chocolate and Nutella glaze… you are teasing me. How could I resist. I just need to make sure it won’t end up with my husband’s job to make these pancakes again. Love your styling, Laura!

These are so beautiful, and definitely the perfect fall treat! I would love to wake up to a plate of these little lovelies and a cup of coffee!

Oh my, just catching up on your posts now, Laura, and these look scrumptious! I indulged in ebelskivers when in Denmark years ago – such a treat! Your filling combination has my mouth watering.