apple, brown butter & maple blondies

September 28, 2012

in Bars & Bites

As much as I love the decadence of a deeply chocolate brownie, there’s room in my heart for its lighter cousin, the blondie. Brown sugar with butter can do no wrong; I love the notes of caramel and salt in a good blondie. With that in mind, I created this fall variation with three of my favorite things: sautéed Fuji apples, brown butter, and maple syrup.

Apple, Brown Butter & Maple Blondies | Tutti Dolci

These chewy, almost cake-like blondies will now find themselves on my to-bake list each fall. Fragrant with cinnamon, maple, and the delicious nutty notes of brown butter, I’m sure you’ll find them irresistible. A drizzle of maple glaze makes a tempting topping – I like to add the glaze just before serving.

Apple, Brown Butter & Maple Blondies

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp low-fat milk
1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1/2 Tbsp maple syrup

For the apples, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; sauté until golden and reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a medium bowl and cool slightly. Whisk in applesauce, brown sugar, and maple syrup until mixture is smooth; whisk in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture in 2 additions, stirring just until incorporated. Fold in apples.

Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 22 minutes, until blondies are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a crumb or two attached. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack before cutting into bars with a sharp knife. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, butter, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Drizzle over bars and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days; bring to room temperature before serving.

Yield – 16 blondies (serving size: 1 brownie)

1 Cassie September 28, 2012

Yum! I love these flavors, Laura! I am such a big fan of blondies. Love the maple in these!

2 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 28, 2012

you just put everything i love into one – the browned butter, blondies, apples, the icing, maple – GREAT!!

pinning!

3 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 28, 2012

Love this! I have an overnight french toast in the fridge right now with similar flavors – Welcome Fall!

4 Carol | a cup of mascarpone September 28, 2012

Growing up my mother always made blonde brownies – more often then chocolate brownies. They never looked this delicious, with all these lovely flavors together! Love the sweetness of the glaze on top!

5 Valerie September 28, 2012

Oh, these practically scream fall! I love that you sauté the apples in brown sugar and cinnamon instead of just tossing them into the batter naked. :D

6 brighteyedbaker September 28, 2012

These sound so good! Brown butter in a blondie alone tempts me, and then you add the apples and maple syrup… yum! I’m a chocolate lover too but I could go for one of these.

7 Jenn and Seth September 28, 2012

such a great idea to saute the apples before baking! and i love brown butter! these sound absolutely perfect, i need to try them!

8 Patty September 28, 2012

Blondies with apples sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing one of your delicious original recipes;-) Have a fantastic weekend;-)

9 Jenn September 28, 2012

Oh I’m so happy it’s fall and we can bask in these flavours!! Love this idea of adding apples!

10 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures September 28, 2012

Yum, what a great combo of fall flavors! I love it!

11 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 28, 2012

Apple, brown butter, maple … can’t go wrong with all of this delicious flavors :)

12 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction September 28, 2012

Oh, I love how you sautee the apples! These blondies are wonderful!

13 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 28, 2012

I just made blondies too! It must be the season for it-yours look wonderful and I love maple anything! :D

14 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 29, 2012

Growing up, I never had blondies or brownies. They weren’t common treats (only nowadays I see brownies at some cafes – like Starbucks etc) at pastry shops in Japan (we have more European influence than American influence). Now with blog hopping, I get to see very unique blondies like this and I wish to try it. Have to make these one day.

15 Minnie(@thelady8home) September 29, 2012

Yummy!!! Thats so amazing. Looking too too delicious.

16 Jen @ Savory Simple September 29, 2012

I absolutely love these! What a gorgeous photo.

17 The Café Sucré Farine September 29, 2012

I think you read my brain sometimes! I’ve been thinking how yummy it would be to add apples to blondes, one of my favorite treats and here you are with these wonderful looking yummies!

18 Kate@Diethood September 29, 2012

Brown butter and blondies in the same sentence…you’ve got my attention! Wow! Knowing myself, I would eat these right out of the pan…won’t even wait for them to cool. YUM!

19 Riley September 29, 2012

These look scrumptious! I love the maple glaze on top, I bet it’s fantastic!

20 Deb September 29, 2012

Brown butter and apples are a scrumptious pair. Add a touch of maple syrup and cinnamon and the flavors of fall are screaming! An enchanting recipe!

21 Laura Dembowski September 29, 2012

I love blondies and this is such a unique spin on them. They have all of my favorite flavors, so I know I’d fall in love with them after one bite!

22 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen September 29, 2012

There’s nothing quite like browned butter, what a wonderful seasonal treat.

23 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 30, 2012

These definitely scream fall! And that drizzle is so incredibly inviting!

24 Suzanne perazzini September 30, 2012

I agree about chocolate, but I have other favourite flavours too and caramel is at the top of the list so this will work well.

25 the wicked noodle September 30, 2012

I love the depth of flavor that comes from browned butter. What a great fall treat!

26 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 30, 2012

Oh wow, I am in love with these bars. All of it sounds just wonderful together!

27 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) September 30, 2012

Every time I see a picture of a blondie I wonder why I haven’t tried making them myself before. I love a good brownie, too, but I wouldn’t feel deprived at all if I had a bar or two of these blondies. Love the apple brown butter infusion. :)

28 Lora @cakeduchess September 30, 2012

I haven’t made blondies in ages. Browned butter adds such a delicious dimension of flavor to baked goodies-these are super, Laura;)

29 Liz September 30, 2012

Mmmmm….I love apple blondies and yours look just spectacular! Love that you used grated apple and maple syrup.

30 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) September 30, 2012

You can never go wrong with butter and sugar, add apples and I am sure they were irresistable

31 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings September 30, 2012

Since I cannot taste / smell anything, I am literally “eating” by way of my eyes! These bars look totally amazing! I love anything with the words “apple” and “brown butter”. I loved it so much, I put it in my lentil soup, remember? Blondies seem like a much better idea, though :) Hehehe. I know my kids think so!

32 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} September 30, 2012

Laura – these look and sound amazing! Perfect ode to Fall. Need to make these very soon. Hope your Sunday is amazing!!

33 Amanda September 30, 2012

What a wonderful fall-themed treat! Yum! Your blog looks amazing too!

34 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme October 2, 2012

Love these! Blondies are my favorite and this combination looks fantastic! I know I will be trying these soon for sure!

35 Baker Street October 2, 2012

apple and brown butter. mmmm.. that sounds terrific, laura! these bars are totally my kinda treat. :)

36 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers October 3, 2012

I’m a brownie lover but if you give me blondies like these, I would go for them without a blink. My kind of sweets.

37 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective October 3, 2012

Wow, that is one glorious cake!