almond butter & apple muffins

Ready or not, we are falling into fall. First, I notice a shift in the light as the days gradually shorten and the nights grow increasingly long. Soon the temperatures will tumble too, spiraling downward like the fiery leaves. I must confess that this is a bittersweet time for me – summer is my love, and I’m not ready to chase after daylight just yet. But, I have told myself to embrace life and each day, so this year, I will learn to appreciate the splendor of fall.

Almond Butter & Apple Muffins | Tutti Dolci

These muffins are a fine place to start, inspired by last month’s almond butter banana bread. Filled with warming spices and sautéed Fuji apples, they are both nutty and moist, capturing the layers of the season. If you’d like to make your own applesauce, try my easiest applesauce, a perfect use for an abundance of apples.

Almond Butter & Apple Muffins

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp almond extract

Topping
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
1 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar

For the apples, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; sauté until golden and reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. For the batter, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Spoon almond butter into a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; cool slightly. Combine brown sugar, applesauce, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and cooled almond butter in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in apples.

Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter, then sprinkle evenly with almonds and turbinado sugar. Bake for 16 to 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

Comments

They look beautiful!
    I like this time of the year, the cold, warm blankets and hot soups (I was born in late November, so I guess I’m the winter type) and this recipe is perfect for the days to come.
    Just a question: I don’t think I can find almond butter here… would be OK if I use almond flour and ordinary butter?
    Thanks for sharing!

• Tutti Dolci says

Thanks Helena! You could use peanut butter or any other nut butter you like, or use almond flour and substitute vegetable oil for the almond butter.

Laura, these sound like the perfect Fall muffin. I love fuji apples too they are one of our families favorites and with almond butter oh these have got to be really moist and delicious.

Hi Laura! I’m so sorry your favorite season has come to an end. For me, my favorite season is just beginning! And I’m excited for everyone’s fall baking! Like these lovely muffins! I’ve not yet worked with almond butter but I imagine it lends just the right sweet note to these beauties! Love that delicious almond top! : )

Lovely combination! I grew up with fuji apples and still my first choice of apples here. So happy seeing them in your muffins! I don’t have almond butter yet as my cookie butter and nutella jars are open. After cookie butter is gone, I’m going to check out this almond butter (for the first time). You kept inspiring me with all these spreads. :)

5. brighteyedbaker says

I love the flavor combinations in this recipe, and the inclusion of almond butter. They sound like yummy muffins!

6. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says

These muffins are just gorgeous! I have noticed the change the shift in the light as well. It seems to sneak up on us and all of a sudden its getting dark at 7-730. I guess I have to enjoy that now because soon it will be getting dark at 5! I adore muffins so these I can not wait to try! :)

Although some may think September is my favorite month for my birthday I kinda don’t like the idea that in few weeks we’ll have to turn the heat on, already said goodbye to short pants and t-shirts.
    Your muffins look so good! I love the apple-almond combo!

Aaah, a great use for the almond butter which I made not long ago (well, actually that batch was eaten, but for the next batch, certainly!). The look lovely Laura :)

What perfect Fall muffins! My hubby the other day mentioned and pointed out the difference in the light for fall – a lower sun. It is sort of magical watching the changing of the seasons. Having one of these muffins with a hot cup of coffee and admiring the change in light would be just perfect. :-)

These look absolutely delicious! I’m a new convert to almond butter! I have grown up eating peanut butter, and hadn’t tried the almond kind until just this school year (my roommate introduced me to it!). Now it’s all I eat! I will definitely have to try making these!