almond butter & apple muffins

September 25, 2012

in Breakfast & Muffins

Ready or not, we are falling into fall. First, I notice a shift in the light as the days gradually shorten and the nights grow increasingly long. Soon the temperatures will tumble too, spiraling downward like the fiery leaves. I must confess that this is a bittersweet time for me – summer is my love, and I’m not ready to chase after daylight just yet. But, I have told myself to embrace life and each day, so this year, I will learn to appreciate the splendor of fall.

Almond Butter & Apple Muffins | Tutti Dolci

These muffins are a fine place to start, inspired by last month’s almond butter banana bread. Filled with warming spices and sautéed Fuji apples, they are both nutty and moist, capturing the layers of the season. If you’d like to make your own applesauce, try my easiest applesauce, a perfect use for an abundance of apples.

Almond Butter & Apple Muffins

1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 tsp almond extract

Topping
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
1 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar

For the apples, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice; sauté until golden and reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. For the batter, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Spoon almond butter into a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; cool slightly. Combine brown sugar, applesauce, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and cooled almond butter in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in apples.

Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter, then sprinkle evenly with almonds and turbinado sugar. Bake for 16 to 17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

1 Cassie September 25, 2012

These are so pretty! I love the almond butter & apple combo!

2 Valerie September 25, 2012

These muffins are the perfect way to usher in fall! With such a delicious welcome, maybe she will be kind enough to hold back winter a bit longer. :)

3 Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel September 25, 2012

Very pretty and I love the combo of almonds + apples!

4 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction September 25, 2012

These are wonderful! Love the use of almond butter!

5 Deb September 25, 2012

Almonds and apples are an irresistible combination! What seductive fall muffins! Cinnamon has traveled to the front on my spice shelf!

6 Helena / Rico sin Azúcar September 25, 2012

They look beautiful!
I like this time of the year, the cold, warm blankets and hot soups (I was born in late November, so I guess I’m the winter type) and this recipe is perfect for the days to come.
Just a question: I don’t think I can find almond butter here… would be OK if I use almond flour and ordinary butter?
Thanks for sharing!

7 Tutti Dolci September 25, 2012

Thanks Helena! You could use peanut butter or any other nut butter you like, or use almond flour and substitute vegetable oil for the almond butter.

8 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) September 25, 2012

I can only imagine how good these must be Laura
I love the combination of almond butter and apples, so many layers that really work well together

9 Suzanne September 25, 2012

Laura, these sound like the perfect Fall muffin. I love fuji apples too they are one of our families favorites and with almond butter oh these have got to be really moist and delicious.

10 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts September 25, 2012

You know how I feel about muffins! These look perfect!

11 Patty September 25, 2012

Beautiful seasonal feeling to your recipe and photos-love it!

12 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings September 25, 2012

I think I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again…anything with almonds are a hit in my books. I’ve been sick lately, so a basketful of this would have been really nice :) I can live off of these almond butter apple muffins everyday! Delicious, Laura!

13 Julia September 25, 2012

What a great Fall recipe! I’ve never used almond butter in my baking, I normally just grind them myself :).

14 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet September 25, 2012

These muffins look heavenly, Laura! They would make a perfect pair with my afternoon tea. I love fall and recipes like this!

15 Minnie@thelady8home September 25, 2012

What’s not to love about these beautiful cupcakes. It screams fall. Lovely!!

16 Jen @ Savory Simple September 25, 2012

I’m with you completely on this one. I need my daylight! Hopefully fall will be lovely and drawn out and winter will be over in a flash. And I’ll have these muffins to keep me company.

17 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com September 25, 2012

Pretty little treats and I love the flavor combo of almond butter and apples in this recipe!

18 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 25, 2012

I know these are Autumn muffins but I could eat one on this fine Spring day.

19 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) September 25, 2012

Great combo and perfect for a crisp fall day. Have you tried freezing these by any chance?

20 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious September 25, 2012

These definitely scream fall! And that almond butter is amazing! I actually have a bit left to use up so this recipe is absolutely perfect!

21 Katie (The Muffin Myth) September 26, 2012

Mmmmm, those muffins look amazing! I love almond butter, but I’ve never baked with it before. Usually I slather it ON a muffin, but now I’m excited to try it IN a muffin. Thanks for the recipe!

22 Carol | a cup of mascarpone September 26, 2012

The spices, the apples, the almond butter all sound so wonderful in your beautiful muffins, Laura!!

23 The Café Sucré Farine September 26, 2012

Very fall-ish indeed but even more yummy looking! I love this time of the year and all these amazing flavors!

24 Anne@FromMySweetHeart September 26, 2012

Hi Laura! I’m so sorry your favorite season has come to an end. For me, my favorite season is just beginning! And I’m excited for everyone’s fall baking! Like these lovely muffins! I’ve not yet worked with almond butter but I imagine it lends just the right sweet note to these beauties! Love that delicious almond top! : )

25 the wicked noodle September 26, 2012

Looks delicious as always, Laura!

26 Nami | Just One Cookbook September 26, 2012

Lovely combination! I grew up with fuji apples and still my first choice of apples here. So happy seeing them in your muffins! I don’t have almond butter yet as my cookie butter and nutella jars are open. After cookie butter is gone, I’m going to check out this almond butter (for the first time). You kept inspiring me with all these spreads. :)

27 brighteyedbaker September 26, 2012

I love the flavor combinations in this recipe, and the inclusion of almond butter. They sound like yummy muffins!

28 Averie @ Averie Cooks September 26, 2012

I happen to have a little jar of pear butter I was wanting to use and I bet that would work just fine for the apple butter. They look awesome!

29 Jennifer @ Mother Thyme September 26, 2012

These muffins are just gorgeous! I have noticed the change the shift in the light as well. It seems to sneak up on us and all of a sudden its getting dark at 7-730. I guess I have to enjoy that now because soon it will be getting dark at 5! I adore muffins so these I can not wait to try! :)

30 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking September 26, 2012

Although some may think September is my favorite month for my birthday I kinda don’t like the idea that in few weeks we’ll have to turn the heat on, already said goodbye to short pants and t-shirts.
Your muffins look so good! I love the apple-almond combo!

31 Charles September 26, 2012

Aaah, a great use for the almond butter which I made not long ago (well, actually that batch was eaten, but for the next batch, certainly!). The look lovely Laura :)

32 Kankana September 26, 2012

I am so not ready to let go summer! But autumn is getting gorgeous too and it’s time to start baking :)

33 Baker Street September 26, 2012

I have a jar of almond been waiting to be used! I think muffins would be the best way to enjoy it. :)

34 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) September 26, 2012

I’m never out of Fuji apples–they’re always at the top of my shopping list. I love the idea of sauteing them. No excuse not to try this recipe–looks too good!

35 Jenn and Seth September 26, 2012

what a great idea to pair almond butter and apples and turn them into these gorgeous muffins! love it!

36 Anna @ hiddenponies September 26, 2012

I would love to wake up to these – and thanks for the gorgeous photos, I find muffins one of the most uninspiring food subjects and you always go and show me what beauty is possible!

37 Priscilla@ShesCookin September 26, 2012

We’re finally getting some fall-ish weather, so bring on the apples…and almond butter! YUM!

38 Ilan September 26, 2012

Hate fall. Love muffins.

39 marissa @ the boot September 26, 2012

wow, this is quite possibly my perfect muffin right here. apple in any dessert is truly my favorite and these muffins sounds heavenly. i can’t wait to try your applesauce!

40 Faith September 27, 2012

These beautiful muffins look like the perfect fall treat! I love apples and warm spices. :)

41 Mercedes September 27, 2012

I love that you grated the apples to really incorporate all of that flavor into these muffins!

42 Sommer@ASP September 27, 2012

Yes, yes, yes! Two of my favorite things to eat!

43 Jenni September 27, 2012

I couldn’t love almond butter more and here it is – in a muffin! These look wonderful!

44 Liz September 27, 2012

Oh, gosh, I wish I had these in my kitchen for breakfast tomorrow! What a fantastic apple treat!

45 Lisa {AuthenticSuburbanGourmet} September 27, 2012

What perfect Fall muffins! My hubby the other day mentioned and pointed out the difference in the light for fall – a lower sun. It is sort of magical watching the changing of the seasons. Having one of these muffins with a hot cup of coffee and admiring the change in light would be just perfect. :-)

46 Sophie Remer September 27, 2012

These look absolutely delicious! I’m a new convert to almond butter! I have grown up eating peanut butter, and hadn’t tried the almond kind until just this school year (my roommate introduced me to it!). Now it’s all I eat! I will definitely have to try making these!

47 Rosa September 28, 2012

Great muffins! What amazing flavors.

Cheers,

Rosa

48 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella September 28, 2012

We’re getting into warmer weather here and I am so glad for that! We’ve still got hints of chill and lots of apples still so it is a nice balance :)

49 Whitney @ The Newlywed Chefs September 28, 2012

I love the addition of almond butter!