peach streusel bread

If you spend any time in the food blogosphere, you’re probably aware that August is National Peach Month. My latest craving for peaches with streusel fell at the perfect time – these mini breads are an incredibly tasty way to celebrate the sweet and juicy peach. Studded with diced peaches, the loaves emerge from the oven golden and moist. To profile the fruit even further, I layered sliced peaches over the batter before sprinkling on the oatmeal, brown sugar, and cinnamon streusel topping.

This recipe yields three mini loaves, so you’ll have peach bread that’s easy to share (though I wouldn’t blame you if you decide not to share, either!). And beware of that streusel – you’ll be tempted to devour it straight from the bowl. I promise.

Peach Streusel Bread
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 cup diced yellow peaches
1/2 cup sliced yellow peaches

Streusel Topping
1/4 cup rolled oats
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp chilled unsalted butter, diced

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, brown sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in diced peaches.

For the streusel topping, whisk together oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; use a pastry cutter to cut in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Divide batter evenly between loaf pans; top with sliced peaches and streusel topping.

Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 25-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely. Wrap breads well and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days. Warm before serving.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

What a delicious way to use fresh summer peaches! I wasn’t aware that August is national peach month, but god knows I’ve posted enough about peaches lately! I thought I was on peach overload but now that I’ve seen these, I’m certain I’ve recovered and have at least one more peach dish to go before I truly surrender!

I love my peaches-that’s for sure- I may not be able to share any of these peach streusel loaves if they were fresh out of my oven;-)

Those look like mini loaves – one per person. Maybe they aren’t but I am obsessed lately with making small quantities and mini everyuthing so I don’t eat so much but don’t have to give up completely on my sweet tooth.

i’m getting lost in all these food holidays, zucchini day was yesterday, earlier I heard it’s rice pudding day. Peach month or not, i love all your peach treats and you got me right, i’d be the one eating the streusel topping straight from the bowl

5. Lora @cakeduchess says

Peach and streusel together in this gorgeous bread make me very happy:)Love this beautiful bread, Laura:)

Oh my goodness, these are BEAUTIFUL and I can tell by the ingredients delicious also. I will be making these for sure. My little girlies come back to visit me this coming up week – I think this might have to be one of our projects :) thanks~

Three mini loaves is a splendid idea. My mom is 86 and when I visit I like to share a sweet treat with her. Peaches will be a sweet summer memory very soon, so I am more than happy to keep baking with them as long as possible!
    An enticing summer recipe!

For as many blogs as I read, how did I not know it was national peach month….crazy! I was going to make a peach treat too, so I guess perfect timing right, LOL! Your crumble top alone has me wanting a slice right now:-) Love the sliced peaches on top, so beautiful! Hugs, Terra

You’ve been making lots of peach goodies and as a peach lover, I’m always drooling at your site. I want to get a mini cake mold. I am afraid I can finish the whole bread by myself everyday. This looks beautiful and delicious!

What a seriously beautiful loaf! This is peaches in there heightened glory…wow, just wow! I did not know it was national peach month and it is nearing end, so I may have to get myself some more peaches :)

Hi Laura,
    I live in a cave because I didn’t know August was National Peach Month. But happy to find out:) Your little streusel breads are perfect for me, we love peaches but also the sizes are very convenient. It’s only hubby and I, so it’s always a struggle finding small portion recipes. Thanks for sharing, they look so yummy:)