almond butter banana bread

Banana bread reminds me of a favorite pair of worn-in slippers – comfortable, predictable, consistent. A thick slice slathered with butter alongside a steaming mug of coffee is one of life’s small pleasures. When a craving for banana bread struck me this week, I longed for the stability of the classic, yet with a slight twist. The moist and nutty character of traditional banana bread is evident here, while almond butter and honey plus warming spices takes these mini loaves to new heights.

Cut yourself a large slice and enjoy warm – that’s when the flavors come alive. Though you may already have a beloved banana bread recipe, I like to think there’s room for more than one favorite.

Almond Butter Banana Bread
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp allspice
1/3 cup almond butter
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract

2 Tbsp almonds, chopped
1 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.

Combine almond butter and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; cool slightly. Combine banana, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and cooled almond butter-honey mixture in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Divide batter evenly among loaf pans; top with almonds and turbinado sugar. Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely. Wrap breads well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

I was just thinking this morning that buttermilk banana bread will be on my list of things to bake this morning, because my basket of bananas are quickly ripening! Then I drop by and see these beauties! Love the almond butter – that must add an extra element of yum, so this is a must try! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

Lovely photos and lovely bread! I haven’t made banana bread in ages and I love all the additional flavors you added – I can imagine them enhancing the flavor of this bread perfectly. I can’t wait to try out your recipe next time I have too many ripe bananas!

YUM! I occasionally make banana bread but we like some changes and this sounds really good! Do you think I can replace with nutella instead or better to stick with almond butter (I don’t have it at home)? Also, I only have regular mold; is this portion (for 3 mini pans) too much for regular pan? And one more question… is it okay to use all AP flour instead of healthy whole wheat flour? Is there any baking rule of thumb to replace whole wheat (I don’t know I just wonder if I can just switch or I need to use more/less). I’ve never use allspice in banana bread or any recipe. I’m excited to try this and make some changes to our regular banana bread!

• Tutti Dolci says

Hi Nami, I’m glad you like the bread :). Of couse you can use Nutella (yum!). This batter should fit in one regular-sized loaf pan, but you can always make a loaf plus a couple muffins if it seems like too much batter (your baking time will be longer with the regular loaf pan, of course). And as for the flour, you can just use AP instead of the whole wheat. Hope you enjoy!

The fact that you baked them in mimi loaf pans means that I could have one all to myself! This almond butter banana bread recipe looks really delicious! :)

These photos are crazy-beautiful not to mention how yummy your bread sounds. I’ve never added almonds or almond butter to banana bread but I’m imagining it to be quite delicious and something I need to try, thanks!

Oh Laura, you had me at almond butter. It’s one of my little food pleasures that I could eat every day. Your recipe is fantastic! As soon as it cools down here, and I can turn my oven on, I’ll be making it. Can’t wait;)

I really, truly, honestly cannot wait to make this banana bread! I love almond butter inside, and the crunchy sweet topping on top sounds amazing :)

These mini loaves look so cute AND delicious. I love the twist you put on it; banana bread is a classic but sometimes it’s a challenge to come up with something that makes it different from the thousands of other banana breads out there. You definitely made yours stand out! Yum!

Spot on! I do have a favorite Banana Bread recipe but it lacks almond butter and crunchy almonds! What a tempting way to add a flourish of flavor to a classic family favorite.

I absolutely agree with you about that feeling of worn in slippers! This quick bread recipe sounds incredible. I do have a jar of almond butter and can’t think of a better way to use it. :)

11. Lora @cakeduchess says

I make banana bread every week. The kids love it for breakfast or a snack. Almond butter is just wonderful in baking. Love your recipe, Laura:)

Hi Laura,
    I love the description of the banana bread and the comparison to a pair of comfy slippers. Cute!
    I love banana bread and it is often made at my house. Now, banana bread and almond butter sounds amazing and is just taking it to a whole new level. Fantastic clicks!

yes! as you know i have a mini loaf pan… i do have a banana bread recipe that i turn to but i sure do like the addition of almond butter (methinks peanut butter would work just as well!)

you are right, a slice of this warm with a cup of joe is such a simple pleasure that should be enjoyed often.

What an interesting idea: almond butter in a banana bread. I am so used to just plain old regular banana bread. will definitely try it!

15. Suzanne says

Thank you for sharing this recipe…absolutely delicious! Love almond butter and it works so well in this recipe!

16. MaShay says

I happened upon this recipe and love anything with almond butter. BUT I wanted to tell you I didn’t have enough bananas this second time making it so I did half banana and half pumpkin…DELICIOUS! So if you ever want to change it up…there ya go!

17. Ceara says

WOW! Delicious! :) Works out beautifully, I used maple syrup in place of the honey as well as fat-free yogurt for the buttermilk (Have to work with what I have in the house!)