almond butter banana bread

August 24, 2012

in Breads & Quick Breads

Banana bread reminds me of a favorite pair of worn-in slippers – comfortable, predictable, consistent. A thick slice slathered with butter alongside a steaming mug of coffee is one of life’s small pleasures. When a craving for banana bread struck me this week, I longed for the stability of the classic, yet with a slight twist. The moist and nutty character of traditional banana bread is evident here, while almond butter and honey plus warming spices takes these mini loaves to new heights.

Cut yourself a large slice and enjoy warm – that’s when the flavors come alive. Though you may already have a beloved banana bread recipe, I like to think there’s room for more than one favorite.

Almond Butter Banana Bread
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tsp almond extract

Topping
2 Tbsp almonds, chopped
1 1/2 tsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and place a baking sheet in oven; spray 3 mini (5 3/4″ x 3 3/4″) loaf pans with nonstick spray. Whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and allspice in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture.

Combine almond butter and honey in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until melted, about 30 seconds; cool slightly. Combine banana, buttermilk, egg, extracts, and cooled almond butter-honey mixture in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Divide batter evenly among loaf pans; top with almonds and turbinado sugar. Place pans on preheated baking sheet and bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 28 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely. Wrap breads well and store at room temperature up to 2 days, or in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To freeze, wrap tightly in foil or freezer wrap.

Yield – 3 loaves, 6 servings per loaf (serving size: 1 slice)

1 the wicked noodle August 24, 2012

I just love your description of this bread – it’s so true! Buttermilk and almond butter must make this extra delish. Can’t wait to try it!!

2 Valerie August 24, 2012

You have me longing for bananas, and another cup of coffee. This bread looks beautiful!

3 Carol | a cup of mascarpone August 24, 2012

Laura, these are making me so hungry right now! I have a cup of coffee sitting in front of me, and need a big, generous slice to go with it! Love your photos too! They give such a warmth to the bread!

4 Liren August 24, 2012

I was just thinking this morning that buttermilk banana bread will be on my list of things to bake this morning, because my basket of bananas are quickly ripening! Then I drop by and see these beauties! Love the almond butter – that must add an extra element of yum, so this is a must try! Hope you have a wonderful weekend :)

5 Patty August 24, 2012

Laura, I just love almond butter, I think your loaves of banana bread have my name written all over them:-) Have a wonderful weekend;-)

6 Stephanie @ 52 Kitchen Adventures August 24, 2012

Lovely photos and lovely bread! I haven’t made banana bread in ages and I love all the additional flavors you added – I can imagine them enhancing the flavor of this bread perfectly. I can’t wait to try out your recipe next time I have too many ripe bananas!

7 Riley August 24, 2012

Banana bread is one of my favorites and this looks delicious!

8 Liz August 24, 2012

What beautiful loaves…and I love the addition of almond butter and extract! Yummy options :) Have a lovely weekend~

9 Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 24, 2012

Love the comparison to comfy slippers. I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way about banana bread. Never tried almond butter but it won’t be long before I do!

10 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 24, 2012

YUM! I occasionally make banana bread but we like some changes and this sounds really good! Do you think I can replace with nutella instead or better to stick with almond butter (I don’t have it at home)? Also, I only have regular mold; is this portion (for 3 mini pans) too much for regular pan? And one more question… is it okay to use all AP flour instead of healthy whole wheat flour? Is there any baking rule of thumb to replace whole wheat (I don’t know I just wonder if I can just switch or I need to use more/less). I’ve never use allspice in banana bread or any recipe. I’m excited to try this and make some changes to our regular banana bread!

11 Tutti Dolci August 24, 2012

Hi Nami, I’m glad you like the bread :). Of couse you can use Nutella (yum!). This batter should fit in one regular-sized loaf pan, but you can always make a loaf plus a couple muffins if it seems like too much batter (your baking time will be longer with the regular loaf pan, of course). And as for the flour, you can just use AP instead of the whole wheat. Hope you enjoy!

12 Nami | Just One Cookbook August 27, 2012

Thank you so much for your answer Laura!

13 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious August 24, 2012

I love trying different kinds of banana bread and this is definitely a must try!

14 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) August 24, 2012

That is such a great way to describe Banana Bread and so true. One of my absolute favorite desserts. I love this twist. Bookmarking for Autumn!

15 Moya August 24, 2012

The fact that you baked them in mimi loaf pans means that I could have one all to myself! This almond butter banana bread recipe looks really delicious! :)

16 The Café Sucré Farine August 25, 2012

These photos are crazy-beautiful not to mention how yummy your bread sounds. I’ve never added almonds or almond butter to banana bread but I’m imagining it to be quite delicious and something I need to try, thanks!

17 swati August 25, 2012

innovative! love the idea of almond butter and banana bread, great twist.

18 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen August 25, 2012

This is a wonderful and different recipe. I make homemade nut butters frequently, and banana goes with all of them. Goes to my pinterest board!

19 Amy (Savory Moments) August 25, 2012

I love banana bread. This version with almonds looks really good (and very pretty with the nuts on top).

20 Jen @ Savory Simple August 25, 2012

Banana bread is one of those things I always enjoy but never rush to make or buy. But your description totally sells me. I need this in my life! Slippers and all.

21 Nancy/SpicieFoodie August 25, 2012

Oh Laura, you had me at almond butter. It’s one of my little food pleasures that I could eat every day. Your recipe is fantastic! As soon as it cools down here, and I can turn my oven on, I’ll be making it. Can’t wait;)

22 Muna Kenny August 25, 2012

I read the ingredients thrice! I couldn’t believe you had all the goodness in one recipe. You’re genius :)

23 ally August 25, 2012

this is the best banana bread i’ve ever seen on a blog – truly!
xo

24 Kiran @ KiranTarun.com August 25, 2012

Mmmmm… I love all the flavors here. And it’s mini, perfect excuse for more slices :D

25 Winnie August 25, 2012

I really, truly, honestly cannot wait to make this banana bread! I love almond butter inside, and the crunchy sweet topping on top sounds amazing :)

26 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } August 25, 2012

This bread looks and sounds absolutely brilliant! Some of my favorite flavors all rolled up together. Quick question – where do you find almond butter?

27 Tutti Dolci August 25, 2012

Thanks Lisa! Trader Joe’s carries it, or I’ve also found it in the natural food section of other grocery stores. You can also make your own: http://www.savorysimple.net/almond-butter/

28 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet August 25, 2012

This bread will put anyone in a fall baking mood – love it!

29 Lindsay August 25, 2012

Do you think I could replace the bananas with applesauce?

30 Tutti Dolci August 25, 2012

Hi Lindsay, I think applesauce would work nicely here! Let me know if you try it :).

31 Suzanne August 25, 2012

What a great idea for a favorite snack bread. I like changing up the classics too.

32 Brighteyedbaker August 25, 2012

These mini loaves look so cute AND delicious. I love the twist you put on it; banana bread is a classic but sometimes it’s a challenge to come up with something that makes it different from the thousands of other banana breads out there. You definitely made yours stand out! Yum!

33 Deb August 25, 2012

Spot on! I do have a favorite Banana Bread recipe but it lacks almond butter and crunchy almonds! What a tempting way to add a flourish of flavor to a classic family favorite.

34 suzanne Perazzini August 25, 2012

I love the mini part, especially because I am on a mini kick at the moment. I love banana bread too because it is always moist and so tasty.

35 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings August 25, 2012

You always manage to amaze me with all your delicious baked goods! You are going to make me diabetic! LOL…I joke, I joke…

36 Roxana | Roxana's Home Baking August 25, 2012

you know what, I haven’t made banana bread in like ages. It’s so hard to have over-ripe bananas around, unless I buy them like that.
Yours sounds so good, love the almond butter addition

37 Anna @ hiddenponies August 25, 2012

Oh, I feel exactly the same way about banana bread. Yours looks absolutely perfect!

38 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) August 26, 2012

I love all the flavors here and the idea of almond butter is simply genious!
I can’t wait to try this one Laura

39 Jenn and Seth August 26, 2012

i just love the almond butter in here! sounds wonderful!

40 foodwanderings August 26, 2012

wow I love this bread. the compound almond butter that brings it up a notch! Just gorgeous and exactly the slice I would love to have with tea!

41 A Brown Table August 26, 2012

The use of almond butter in your banana bread really does it take it a new and more refined height. The photographs are absolutely gorgeous!

42 Anne@FromMySweetHeart August 26, 2012

Laura…these loaves are so pretty! And I love the warmth you’ve given to this recipe with your almond butter and honey. So sweet! : )

43 Rosa August 27, 2012

Delicious looking! I love the fact that you’ve used almond butter and honey…

Cheers,

Rosa

44 Baker Street August 27, 2012

I absolutely agree with you about that feeling of worn in slippers! This quick bread recipe sounds incredible. I do have a jar of almond butter and can’t think of a better way to use it. :)

45 Lora @cakeduchess August 27, 2012

I make banana bread every week. The kids love it for breakfast or a snack. Almond butter is just wonderful in baking. Love your recipe, Laura:)

46 Asmita August 27, 2012

Hi Laura,
I love the description of the banana bread and the comparison to a pair of comfy slippers. Cute!
I love banana bread and it is often made at my house. Now, banana bread and almond butter sounds amazing and is just taking it to a whole new level. Fantastic clicks!

47 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) August 27, 2012

There’s always room for one more banana bread recipe–they’re always welcome. So many ways to enhance a classic to make it just that much better–this version is a perfect example. :)

48 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts August 27, 2012

What a gorgeous bread! I even have almond butter that needs to get used up!

49 Magic of Spice August 29, 2012

This is the most delightful twist on the favorite banana bread…well, ever! How perfectly delicious!

50 Lan | angry asian August 30, 2012

yes! as you know i have a mini loaf pan… i do have a banana bread recipe that i turn to but i sure do like the addition of almond butter (methinks peanut butter would work just as well!)

you are right, a slice of this warm with a cup of joe is such a simple pleasure that should be enjoyed often.

51 Laura @ Family Spice August 30, 2012

I love baking with almond butter! Helps keeps things nutritious without feeling overly healthy and bland. I’ll take a loaf of your banana bread with my morning earl grey!

52 Krista August 30, 2012

YES! I think nut butters and banana can never go wrong! Banana bread is one my fall favorites.

53 Julia August 30, 2012

What an interesting idea: almond butter in a banana bread. I am so used to just plain old regular banana bread. will definitely try it!

54 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 31, 2012

Oh my gosh, I just saw this on pinterest! I LOVE THIS!!! It sounds amazing and I can’t wait to try it!!

55 Kim Bee September 19, 2012

I am in love with this bread.

56 Suzanne December 1, 2012

Thank you for sharing this recipe…absolutely delicious! Love almond butter and it works so well in this recipe!

57 Tutti Dolci December 1, 2012

So happy to hear that! :)

58 MaShay January 12, 2013

I happened upon this recipe and love anything with almond butter. BUT I wanted to tell you I didn’t have enough bananas this second time making it so I did half banana and half pumpkin…DELICIOUS! So if you ever want to change it up…there ya go!

59 Ceara March 15, 2013

WOW! Delicious! :) Works out beautifully, I used maple syrup in place of the honey as well as fat-free yogurt for the buttermilk (Have to work with what I have in the house!)