plum-mascarpone ice cream

July 11, 2012

in Frozen Treats

The sweetest gifts are the edible kind – I cherish small, thoughtful gestures. Liz, the owner of the blueberry farm, gave me a bag of plums fresh off her tree after my last visit. Ripe and juicy to the point of splitting open, I knew slicing them for use in a dessert was out of the question. Ice cream, however, was a definite possibility!

A quick puree captured every drop of plummy juice from the succulent fruit. I combined the tangy-sweet juice with almond milk and Mascarpone for a light and creamy texture; a splash of brandy fuses the flavors seamlessly. In lieu of plums, try apricots for a delectable substitute.

Plum-Mascarpone Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups sliced plums
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup Mascarpone
2 Tbsp brandy

Place plums in a food processor or blender and puree; strain into a small bowl and discard solids. Return plum puree to processor along with almond milk, Mascarpone, sugar, brandy, and vanilla; process until combined. Chill mixture for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another hour or until firm.

Yield – 6 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

1 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 11, 2012

Oh man I never would’ve thought to make a plum flavored ice cream. It’s genius! And the set up is absolutely gorgeous!

2 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers July 11, 2012

And I just finished the plums from our tree! I wish you posted this soon Laura. It really seems so good. I will bookmark it for the future. Maybe I can encounter sweet plums that are freshly harvested too.

3 fabiola@notjustbaked July 11, 2012

I just adore, love, am obsessed with the photos in this post! The little purple jars make me wanna go spend money I do not have, and then go eat ice cream. Blueberry season started a couple of weeks ago where I am, so I will be loading up on those this week, maybe I’ll get some plums from my farmer:)

4 cassie July 11, 2012

Look at those cute little pots! This combo is dreamy Laura!

5 Jen @ Savory Simple July 11, 2012

It’s funny, I was just talking to Mr. SS the other day about how plums are under-utilized. This is a great recipe!

6 Jenn July 11, 2012

Plums and mascarpone?? You’re a genius :) Now I wish I had an ice cream maker!

7 Patty July 11, 2012

I was tasting plums at the farmers market last night and thinking about what i might like to make with them…Your ice cream sounds like such a good recipe!
I love the colors in your photos-really captures the plummy-ness of your ice cream :-)

8 Minnie(@thelady8home) July 11, 2012

Wonderful recipe! :D Summers and icecream, makes you feel cool just by reading.

9 Valerie July 11, 2012

Okay, now I really need to get an ice cream machine. This looks incredible! (Love the almond milk instead of heavy cream!) Your little serving bowls/cups are adorable too. :D

10 Baking Serendipity July 11, 2012

Marscapone in ice cream?! I love it! There are plums in my fridge totally ready to be part of this :)

11 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen July 11, 2012

Life is really boring without edible gifts.. :) Imagine Valentines without chocolate. Imagine the world without chocolate! :) Mascarpone in ice cream sounds creamy!!

12 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella July 12, 2012

I agree, edible gifts are the absolute best, especially fresh from someone’s tree! :D Love what you did with the plums :D

13 Deb July 12, 2012

What a wondrous gift! I have not tasted plum ice cream and am intrigued by your refreshing and enticing recipe. A post that evokes summer and it’s luscious bounty, a delight!

14 Anne@FromMySweetHeart July 12, 2012

Laura…what a great way to use fruit that is really ripe! You are right…it would be a shame to lose one drop of that juice! I love plums but can honestly say I’ve never tasted them in ice cream! What a creative recipe and I bet that mascarpone lends a creamy richness, too! Gorgeous photos!

15 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) July 12, 2012

this is a beautiful ice cream recipe! definitely bookmarking it!

16 Jennifer (Delicieux) July 12, 2012

I’ve never heard of plum ice cream before, but it sounds so good Laura! I’ll have 2 scoops please. :D

17 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 12, 2012

The plums, mascarpone and almond milk sound so wonderful together. I wish I could have a taste of this. It really is so appealing!

18 Priscilla@ShesCookin July 12, 2012

Gorgeous! I like the idea of almond milk with the mascarpone and plums and the cute little plummy crocks complete this delicious recipe!

19 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 12, 2012

Lately I had most delicious plums and wondered if I could make any ice cream out of it. Now I see your pictures and my mouth started to water…. how delicious!!!! We’re so lucky to live in California, and you especially since you know the nice farmers! :-)

20 Rosa July 13, 2012

What a delightful combination! This ice cream must taste divine.

Cheers,

Rosa

21 Baker Street July 13, 2012

Plums and mascarpone! Oh yum! Would love a scoop or two on this summery afternoon! :)

22 Jen L | Tartine and Apron Strings July 13, 2012

Plums, almond milk, mascarpone, and brandy? Absolutely delightful , in my opinion! We are having a hot day today, so i wish I have a scoop of this…

23 Ali @ Gimme Some Oven July 13, 2012

Yum!!! I have such fond memories of enjoying plums growing up. This sounds like total comfort food! :)

24 Liren July 13, 2012

Such a unique ice cream – I love how you used the mascarpone and almond milk, especially! I know my daughter would love this – she is a HUGE plum fan :) Have a wonderful weekend!

25 Charles July 13, 2012

Mmm, plum ice-cream… I never thought of such a thing before. As someone mentioned above, plums are rather forgotten about sometimes… lovely to see you “invigorating them” a bit.

26 Hotly Spiced July 13, 2012

Hi, thanks for visiting my site and leaving a lovely comment. Great to know we have a mutual friend, Maureen! How wonderful to be given some home grown plums, straight from the tree. I love the look of your ice cream – it really does look very creamy and delicious. And your serving dishes are gorgeous! xx

27 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef July 14, 2012

I’ve never tasted plum ice cream but I bet it is delicious. It sure looks fantastic!

28 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } July 14, 2012

Plums right now are super tasty and juicy. Loving the combination that you put together – perfect summer dessert!!!

29 Suzanne July 14, 2012

Beautiful ice-cream and plums, how lucky to get a free fresh from the tree bag of them.

30 Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles July 14, 2012

What a lovely ice cream! And to have fresh picked plums? Heavenly!!

31 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 17, 2012

Beautiful color! Sounds like a very refreshing flavor!

32 Magic of Spice July 20, 2012

What a delightful flavor for an ice cream…love the mascarpone!