plum-mascarpone ice cream

The sweetest gifts are the edible kind – I cherish small, thoughtful gestures. Liz, the owner of the blueberry farm, gave me a bag of plums fresh off her tree after my last visit. Ripe and juicy to the point of splitting open, I knew slicing them for use in a dessert was out of the question. Ice cream, however, was a definite possibility!

A quick puree captured every drop of plummy juice from the succulent fruit. I combined the tangy-sweet juice with almond milk and Mascarpone for a light and creamy texture; a splash of brandy fuses the flavors seamlessly. In lieu of plums, try apricots for a delectable substitute.

Plum-Mascarpone Ice Cream
1 1/2 cups sliced plums
2 cups almond milk
1/4 cup Mascarpone
2 Tbsp brandy

Place plums in a food processor or blender and puree; strain into a small bowl and discard solids. Return plum puree to processor along with almond milk, Mascarpone, sugar, brandy, and vanilla; process until combined. Chill mixture for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturerโ€™s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another hour or until firm.

Yield โ€“ 6 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
Calories โ€“ 160
Carbs โ€“ 27

Comments

I just adore, love, am obsessed with the photos in this post! The little purple jars make me wanna go spend money I do not have, and then go eat ice cream. Blueberry season started a couple of weeks ago where I am, so I will be loading up on those this week, maybe I’ll get some plums from my farmer:)

I was tasting plums at the farmers market last night and thinking about what i might like to make with them…Your ice cream sounds like such a good recipe!
    I love the colors in your photos-really captures the plummy-ness of your ice cream :-)

Okay, now I really need to get an ice cream machine. This looks incredible! (Love the almond milk instead of heavy cream!) Your little serving bowls/cups are adorable too. ๐Ÿ˜€

What a wondrous gift! I have not tasted plum ice cream and am intrigued by your refreshing and enticing recipe. A post that evokes summer and it’s luscious bounty, a delight!

Laura…what a great way to use fruit that is really ripe! You are right…it would be a shame to lose one drop of that juice! I love plums but can honestly say I’ve never tasted them in ice cream! What a creative recipe and I bet that mascarpone lends a creamy richness, too! Gorgeous photos!

Lately I had most delicious plums and wondered if I could make any ice cream out of it. Now I see your pictures and my mouth started to water…. how delicious!!!! We’re so lucky to live in California, and you especially since you know the nice farmers! :-)

Such a unique ice cream – I love how you used the mascarpone and almond milk, especially! I know my daughter would love this – she is a HUGE plum fan :) Have a wonderful weekend!

Mmm, plum ice-cream… I never thought of such a thing before. As someone mentioned above, plums are rather forgotten about sometimes… lovely to see you “invigorating them” a bit.

Hi, thanks for visiting my site and leaving a lovely comment. Great to know we have a mutual friend, Maureen! How wonderful to be given some home grown plums, straight from the tree. I love the look of your ice cream – it really does look very creamy and delicious. And your serving dishes are gorgeous! xx