nectarine-blackberry cake

If I could only pick one variety of stone fruit to enjoy all summer long, I’d choose nectarines. Last week’s trip to the farmers’ market yielded a basket full of gorgeous Honey Royale Nectarines. When I sliced into one later that evening, I was delighted to find that the super sweet fruit lived up to its name. To showcase the yellow slices in all their glory, I decided on a simple cake topped with nectarines and blackberries.

While this fluffy, almond-spiked cake may be effortless to prepare, it is unfailingly scrumptious when topped with fruit at its peak. Alternatively, try peaches in place of nectarines, or peaches with raspberries or blueberries… I can think of a number of equally tasty pairings. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, or just enjoy a slice as is – and yes, I’d argue this cake can easily qualify as breakfast!

Nectarine-Blackberry Cake
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp almond extract
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
2 large yellow nectarines, pitted and thinly sliced
1 cup blackberries
1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to medium-low and add egg and almond extract; beat well. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add buttermilk, then finish with remaining flour mixture.

Pour batter into prepared baking dish; smooth top with an offset spatula. Arrange nectarine slices and blackberries on top of batter in a single layer and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 325°F and bake an additional 20 minutes, until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack before cutting into squares. Store leftovers loosely covered at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 16 squares (serving size: 1 square)

Here you go again with a delectable fruit dessert! Gorgeous cake. I’m still dreaming about your brown butter scones <3

Love your delicious layers. Awesome presentation too…Truly, the eyes are the first tastebuds. I would definitely not let this recipe pass by without trying. I love nectarines =)

Myfudo here…Normally we’d never put a shameless plug back to us, but we just launched our new site and we would love for you to be a part of it. I’d love to share our newest launch with you, I hope you don’t mind? Now that we are getting a new look…Myfudo is moving to a new domain This has been a project we have been working on for almost a year now. We just launched our new gallery submission site, and we are just thrilled. We’d be proud to have your work as part of our growing collection to continue to have a larger reach and further inspire all fellow food lovers out there! Please sign up and check us out (it’s free)
    We look forward to seeing your wonderful pictures, as always.
    p.s. We are hosting a Kitchen Aid Mixer Giveaway to celebrate our new Yumgoggle site, we hope you’ll participate =)

Ughhh wrong time again! 😀 I’m about to go to bed but instead I came here to drool. You are a queen of fresh fruit dessert maker! I’m serious, you never let me down. It’s amazing how many delicious creations you made that make me drool like crazy. One thing I love about your dessert is that always look fresh and not so sweet and just the right kind of dessert I crave for. Another brilliant dessert again!

Such a pretty cake! Both nectarines and blackberries are favorites of mine-they look so lovely baked into your fluffy cake-love all the flavors in the cake recipe;-)

Stunning, Laura! I adore nectarines and am happy to see them shine in your cake. I see some weekend baking coming up! Thanks for sharing. Happy Friday!

I’m off to the Farmer’s Market this morning and hope to find sweet sunny nectarines. Your cake would be a scrumptious summer treat, if only I can keep the nectarines long enough for baking. They seem to magically disappear from the fruit bowl!

Laura, this cake is so pretty–the blackberries and nectarines showcased so beautifully. Your cake ingredients tell me that this won’t be too sweet so the natural sweetness of the nectarines will shine. I really like this!

Such a pretty towel, too!

We make “strawberry shortcake” with all kinds of fruit and different bases — this needs only whipped cream to qualify at our house! Can’t wait to try it!

9. Lora @cakeduchess says

I am enjoying your blackberry desserts. I think it’s time for me to find some. I just found some amazingly ripe and sweet peaches and nectarines and have been baking with them. Lovely:)

I love how you think, it would be a perfect treat for breakfast! Your cake looks really delicious:-) I love living in the south this time of the year, peaches are so fun in everything:-) Beautiful! Hugs, Terra