double chocolate banana-zucchini muffins

Last week, I suggested eating cake for breakfast. Today I’m sharing double chocolate muffins. What’s gotten into me? Though these muffins may resemble cupcakes, they are lightly sweetened with honey and a ripe banana. Grated zucchini ups the health factor (even if you aren’t a zucchini lover, give these a try – the cocoa disguises the squash remarkably well), and helps ensure a springy texture.

With a rich cocoa flavor and a melt-in-your-mouth chocolate chip topping, breakfast just got an upgrade. How do you feel about starting the day with chocolate?

Double Chocolate Banana-Zucchini Muffins
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup honey
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 cup grated zucchini
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, honey, oil, vanilla, banana, and zucchini in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.

Fill each baking cup 2/3 full of batter, then sprinkle chocolate chips evenly over muffins. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

Comments

I am absolutely in love with the idea of starting each day with chocolate. 😀
    These muffins look delightful! (And “healthy” too!)

P.S. Your cupcake liners are adorable!

You *know* I’m all for starting the day with chocolate! Sometimes you just have to :) But with these I wouldn’t feel guilty in the slightest, with the banana and zucchini!

These definitely look melt-in-your-mouth amazing. I’m all about cake for breakfast, but I’ll take a chocolate muffin any day too!

Mmmmmm….I love how the zucchini and banana transform these from cupcakes into a treat you could legitimately eat for breakfast! They look divine!

eating cakes for breakfast? why not! i have no hard and fast rules for breakfast – to me, it’s an important meal, so why not eat something I really like? Hehe. I think Patty of Patty’s Food made these muffins also last week, so I’m having choco-zucchini muffin overload…but I’m loving it!!!

Oh my gosh, I love so many things about these muffins I don’t know where to start! DOUBLE chocolate, both banana AND zucchini, plus buttermilk in the batter (which I’m sure makes them sooo super moist)?!

SWOON!!

I’ve got nothing against zucchini, but I still haven’t actually got around to trying it in cakes – something I’ll need to try soon I think. I’m curious how it changes the texture of the cake. It sure looks delicious from the outside Laura!

Yummy! I like the idea of starting my day with a chocolate muffins, I think the zucchini part of it is very healthy! Lovely photos;-)

These look amazing, Laura! I can’t wait to try them! I love zucchini in baked goods…makes it so moist, and with chocolate, too…oh my!!! What a treat with morning coffee! Your photos are lovely too, so bright and happy!

In Italy where I lived, they eat cake for breakfast. When we go back there to visit family, we easily slip back into the habit of walking up to the pastry shop in the morning and bringing back amazing cakes for breakfast. It doesn’t seem to hurt the Italians.

Oh yes that sounds perfect! This recipe doesn’t sound heavily sweetened at all and that’s what I like about your recipes. And I have to say your cupcake liners with ladybugs are SUPER adorable. You know how to make our heart melt not with your recipes but even with cupcake liners. 😉

12. Lora @cakeduchess says

The banana and zucchini make it a healthy way to start the day, I say! And that chocolate makes it a little decadent and a wonderful pick-me-up:)super recipe and super morning treat. xx

I am the weird one….I am not a huge chocolate fan….I know, I know, don’t judge me!!! :-) Your recipe does sound lovely, my hubby would adore it for sure:-) Beautiful, Hugs, Terra

What a great addition of chocolate to an already favorite zucchini bread recipe! Satisfies my chocolate addiction in such a new way! Ciao amica con baci, Roz

i personally love starting the day sweet and if it’s with chocolate, i’m all for it. since it’s summer time, i’m all about the smoothies which can combine both. when it’s cooler and i can bear to have the oven on, chocolate muffins might have to make an appearance.