cantaloupe popsicles

Prepare yourselves for an onslaught of pops! I broke down and bought a set of popsicle molds (last summer I used a popover pan for chocolate pudding pops), and now I can’t get enough of the cooling treats. To break in the molds, I decided on a fruity flavor. Envision the succulent sweetness and perfume of a ripe cantaloupe because that’s exactly what these pops taste like. An infusion of fresh mint and lime zest makes these positively thirst quenching.

If you don’t own popsicle molds, simply chill the mixture for at least 4 hours before freezing in your ice cream maker for an equally refreshing sorbet!

Cantaloupe Popsicles
2 cups water
1/4 cup sweet mint leaves, crushed
Zest of 1 lime
3 cups cantaloupe, pureed
2 Tbsp white rum

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and stir in mint leaves and lime zest; let steep 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids.

Stir in cantaloupe puree and rum. Fill each popsicle mold with 1/3 cup mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch of space at the top of each mold. Let freeze one hour before inserting popsicle sticks; continue to freeze until completely firm, 4 to 6 hours more. Run molds under hot water 30 to 45 seconds before unmolding, or let stand at room temperature 5 minutes. Wrap popsicles individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer up to 3 weeks.

Yield – 10 popsicles

Comments

Mint, rum, lime, and cantaloupe?! Brilliant combination, and such a lovely, soft, peachy shade of orange! I’ll have to add popsicle molds to my ever-expanding wish list. 😀

I love that your included the lime zest and mint! I bet they are so refreshing tasting!! They are sooo pretty I love orange and peach colors!

As soon as I started reading this post, I knew instantly that I’d finally been convinced that I needed popsicle molds. Cantaloupe popsicles sound so refreshing it’s hard to pass them up. (Incidentally, I made cantaloupe muffins once and they were really good). Then I spotted the rum in the recipe – oh my dear heaven!! These might just be my solution to getting through the summer in one piece :-)

I LOVE IT! I think my kids will too. Not sure about white rum yet but I’d love to make it. Do you like your mold? I bought one kind and returned it because it doesn’t look good. Now I have to find one again… if you really like this mold, would you let me know the name? Thanks! I love your photos!!!

I’ve been meaning to buy popsicle molds but couldn’t decide on which to buy. I think I’d go crazy making popsicles myself if I had a set! Cantaloupe is one of my favorite sorbet flavors and I bet it translates well this way. Would love to try this. :)

I am on the verge of ordering a Popsicle mold from Amazon. With your luscious cantaloupe and mint tempting me, I imagine it will become a reality. Now all I need is a few days of sunshine! It is still foggy and cool.

Beautiful!!
    love the color of your popsicles..
    cantaloupe is my favorite, so this is now really tempting me..LOL
    B/W i really like the design of ur pops, can I ask from where u got ur popsicles molds?

Popsicles are god’s gift to summer! When I lived in a tropical country (the Philippines), we had a frozen treat at least once a day! Popsicles are always high on the list of “must-eat” for dessert or snack! These cantaloupe ones look awesome! I can just taste the sweetness in my mouth…

Oh I love ‘adult’ foods! this is definitely going in my summer to do list. I just have to make it through this winter!!! mmmmm gluhwein tonight I think :-)

It has been so hot that I think I’d rather have a couple of your fantastic popsicles in lieu of my usual meals!!! They look wonderful!

“2 Tbsp white rum”

Mmm, adult popsicles 😀 I don’t own any popsicle moulds – I doubt there would even be space in my freezer if I did want to make any, lol, but I appreciate it whenever I see posts about them. These have a gorgeous colour Laura :)

12. Lora @cakeduchess says

Mint, lime, and RUM! These are my kind of popsicles. I usually prefer a sorbet, but these would make me happy any day this hot summer. Love them:)