cantaloupe popsicles

July 14, 2012

in Frozen Treats

Prepare yourselves for an onslaught of pops! I broke down and bought a set of popsicle molds (last summer I used a popover pan for chocolate pudding pops), and now I can’t get enough of the cooling treats. To break in the molds, I decided on a fruity flavor. Envision the succulent sweetness and perfume of a ripe cantaloupe because that’s exactly what these pops taste like. An infusion of fresh mint and lime zest makes these positively thirst quenching.

If you don’t own popsicle molds, simply chill the mixture for at least 4 hours before freezing in your ice cream maker for an equally refreshing sorbet!

Cantaloupe Popsicles
2 cups water
1/4 cup sweet mint leaves, crushed
Zest of 1 lime
3 cups cantaloupe, pureed
2 Tbsp white rum

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and stir in mint leaves and lime zest; let steep 30 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids.

Stir in cantaloupe puree and rum. Fill each popsicle mold with 1/3 cup mixture, leaving a 1/2-inch of space at the top of each mold. Let freeze one hour before inserting popsicle sticks; continue to freeze until completely firm, 4 to 6 hours more. Run molds under hot water 30 to 45 seconds before unmolding, or let stand at room temperature 5 minutes. Wrap popsicles individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer up to 3 weeks.

Yield – 10 popsicles

1 Valerie July 14, 2012

Mint, rum, lime, and cantaloupe?! Brilliant combination, and such a lovely, soft, peachy shade of orange! I’ll have to add popsicle molds to my ever-expanding wish list. :D

2 Patty July 14, 2012

Love the grown up flavors and color of your cantaloupe popsicles, beautiful!

3 Jen @ Savory Simple July 14, 2012

I love that you’ve added rum to these! Delicious. Homemade popsicles really are the best. Lately I’ve been doing coconut milk, banana and cinnamon.

4 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers July 14, 2012

Love these popsicles! I am in a pop frenzy too at the moment because my husband bought too much fruits! Love your flavor combination.

5 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } July 14, 2012

These are perfect for summer. I keep being tempted each time I go to Sur La Table to purchase them – I think I need to break down. Have a great Saturday!!

6 Suzanne July 14, 2012

I love that your included the lime zest and mint! I bet they are so refreshing tasting!! They are sooo pretty I love orange and peach colors!

7 the wicked noodle July 14, 2012

As soon as I started reading this post, I knew instantly that I’d finally been convinced that I needed popsicle molds. Cantaloupe popsicles sound so refreshing it’s hard to pass them up. (Incidentally, I made cantaloupe muffins once and they were really good). Then I spotted the rum in the recipe – oh my dear heaven!! These might just be my solution to getting through the summer in one piece :-)

8 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) July 14, 2012

Great combo – I especially like the addition of the rum!

9 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef July 14, 2012

It’s great when a childhood treat is also an adult treat. These look great. I want one.

10 Sandra's Easy Cooking July 14, 2012

Oh wow..those look gorgeous! I absolutely love cantaloupe and its aroma! Beautiful pic! Just pinned for later…

11 Nami | Just One Cookbook July 14, 2012

I LOVE IT! I think my kids will too. Not sure about white rum yet but I’d love to make it. Do you like your mold? I bought one kind and returned it because it doesn’t look good. Now I have to find one again… if you really like this mold, would you let me know the name? Thanks! I love your photos!!!

12 Tutti Dolci July 14, 2012

Thanks Nami! I love the molds – they are easy to use and clean (dishwasher safe) and they are BPA free. Here’s a link: http://www.amazon.com/Tovolo-Groovy-Ice-Molds-Yellow/dp/B000G32H3Y
As for the rum, you can just omit for your kids :)

13 Roxana Greengirl {A little bit of everything} July 16, 2012

i had the same problem as Nami. returned a few popsicle molds. Going to order yours since I don’t want to buy an ice-cream maker for obvious reasons.

Mint, lime and cantaloupe – that sounds like a great refreshing combo!

14 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet July 14, 2012

I want the same molds! Got to get the Hubs on the subject :) I love your cantaloupe popsicles, Laura. The addition or rum sounds great! Have a fabulous weekend!

15 Jennifer | Mother Thyme July 14, 2012

So pretty, as always! The addition of the rum is brilliant!

16 Baker Street July 14, 2012

A fruity flavor is surely the way to go! Your pictures are stunning as usual.

17 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious July 14, 2012

So glad you got popsicle molds! This cantaloupe version is so unique! I definitely haven’t come across these before. Can’t wait to give it a try!

18 Brandi July 15, 2012

My husband loves cantaloupe. Your popsicles look so refreshing. I would love to make them for him one day.

19 Jo@foodepix.com July 15, 2012

This looks delicious and your pictures are amazing. Would love for you to share your photos with us at foodepix.com.

20 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) July 15, 2012

I’ve been meaning to buy popsicle molds but couldn’t decide on which to buy. I think I’d go crazy making popsicles myself if I had a set! Cantaloupe is one of my favorite sorbet flavors and I bet it translates well this way. Would love to try this. :)

21 cassie July 15, 2012

I bet these are so refreshing, I am a fool for cantaloupe!

22 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) July 15, 2012

these have so many delicious ingredients – they look and sound fabulous!

23 Deb July 15, 2012

I am on the verge of ordering a Popsicle mold from Amazon. With your luscious cantaloupe and mint tempting me, I imagine it will become a reality. Now all I need is a few days of sunshine! It is still foggy and cool.

24 Reem | Simply Reem July 15, 2012

Beautiful!!
love the color of your popsicles..
cantaloupe is my favorite, so this is now really tempting me..LOL
B/W i really like the design of ur pops, can I ask from where u got ur popsicles molds?

25 Tutti Dolci July 16, 2012
26 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen July 15, 2012

Cantaloupe with rum just begs to be made! Love the idea though don´t know where to get melons now. Beautiful color those popsicles!

27 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings July 15, 2012

Popsicles are god’s gift to summer! When I lived in a tropical country (the Philippines), we had a frozen treat at least once a day! Popsicles are always high on the list of “must-eat” for dessert or snack! These cantaloupe ones look awesome! I can just taste the sweetness in my mouth…

28 Corrie July 15, 2012

Oh I love ‘adult’ foods! this is definitely going in my summer to do list. I just have to make it through this winter!!! mmmmm gluhwein tonight I think :-)

29 Rosa July 16, 2012

Refreshing and delicious! I love the addition of lime zest and rum.

Cheers,

Rosa

30 Sommer@ASpicyPerspective July 16, 2012

Oooo, I like the addition of rum here! They look amazing. :)

31 Liz July 16, 2012

It has been so hot that I think I’d rather have a couple of your fantastic popsicles in lieu of my usual meals!!! They look wonderful!

32 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts July 17, 2012

What a great treat to beat the heat! Great flavor, and these look so pretty!

33 Charles July 18, 2012

“2 Tbsp white rum”

Mmm, adult popsicles :D I don’t own any popsicle moulds – I doubt there would even be space in my freezer if I did want to make any, lol, but I appreciate it whenever I see posts about them. These have a gorgeous colour Laura :)

34 Lora @cakeduchess July 19, 2012

Mint, lime, and RUM! These are my kind of popsicles. I usually prefer a sorbet, but these would make me happy any day this hot summer. Love them:)

35 Laura @ Family Spice July 20, 2012

Every time we get cantaloupe, my kids inhale the entire melon in like 2 minutes. One day, I will sneak one in the house and make these popsicles1

36 Magic of Spice July 20, 2012

What a creative flavor for Popsicles…so fun!

37 Jennifer @ Delicieux July 22, 2012

I love canteloupe (we call it rockmelon here in Australia) but have never through of turning it into sorbet or popsicles. I love your adult version :D

38 Sawsan (Chef in disguise) July 29, 2012

I love my popsicle molds..making pops is so much fun :)
I love the cantaloupe, mint and lime combo..sounds amazingly refreshing