raspberry pinwheels

June 26, 2012

in Breads & Quick Breads

I went to college in San Luis Obispo (known as SLO to many) and frequented almost every coffee shop in town. A girl can’t survive on lattes alone, so I found a favorite bakery filled with fresh breads and pastries. It didn’t take me long to settle on the raspberry pinwheel as the recurring companion to my coffee. Fast forward to present day, where a taste memory of those pinwheels surfaced and beckoned me to the kitchen. Could I recreate the rolls?

Happily, the pinwheels came together just as I remembered, with a jammy raspberry filling surrounded by a doughy roll. When it came to the topping, I swapped out the too-sweet white glaze from the bakery for my favorite Chambord glaze. I’m sure I’m biased (I know I am!), but I like these raspberry pinwheels even more than the original inspiration. For more tips on baking yeast rolls, see my maple-glazed cinnamon rolls – the dough recipe is the same.

Raspberry Pinwheels
Dough
1/4 cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm low-fat milk
1 large egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 1/2 cups flour (approximate)

Filling
1 1/2 cups raspberries
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp water
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Chambord

Chambord Glaze
3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
3 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Chambord

Combine warm water and yeast in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Combine lukewarm milk, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a flat beater. Stir in egg and butter on low speed until combined, then stir in yeast mixture. Mix in 2 cups of flour until incorporated; gradually add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic (you may need to add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time – I added 1 additional tablespoon). The dough is ready when it pulls away from bottom of the mixer bowl.

Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour). Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Combine raspberries and honey in a saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When mixture begins to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk water and cornstarch together in a small bowl. Add to fruit mixture and continue cooking until thickened, 1 or 2 minutes. Remove fruit mixture from heat and stir in vanilla and Chambord. Set aside.

To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush dough with raspberry filling, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal. Trim off uneven ends, then score log every inch and use a sharp knife to slice crosswise into 18 equal slices. Place rolls cut side up into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake rolls for 18 minutes, until tops are golden. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and Chambord in a small bowl. Pour glaze over warm rolls; glaze will set as rolls cool. Wrap leftover rolls well and store at room temperature up to 2 days; warm in a 300°F oven before serving.

Yield – 18 rolls (serving size: 1 roll)

1 Annie @ Annie's Noms June 26, 2012

Oh wow, these look amazing! Adding them to my ever growing list of “to make”!

2 Suzanne June 26, 2012

Laura I lived there in Avila Beach for a short period after college. I loved that little town of SLO and all the yummy eats it had especially the farmers market on Thursday nights, such fun memories. Your raspberry pinwheels look so yummy. Great job.

3 Tutti Dolci June 26, 2012

How fun, what a small world! Avila is so cute and I loved the farmers market in SLO too :).

4 Sandra's Easy Cooking June 26, 2012

Those look fantastic…I love raspberry flavor and I can imagine the aroma once they are baked! Wonderful recipe! Pinned!

5 Patty June 26, 2012

I love raspberries so I can understand your desire to recreate these little masterpieces! Thanks for the recipe;-)

6 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 26, 2012

Great post – we had basically one coffee shop in my little college town and it was always pumpkin chocolate chip bread for me! And these delicious pinwheels look like they may even beat my beloved pumpkin bread! :)

7 Priscilla | ShesCookin June 26, 2012

These look way better than cinnamon rolls! Wished I had one with my coffee this morning when I was trolling Instagram :) Tell me the name of the bakery in SLO, so I can make a pit stop next time I’m in Paso!

8 Tutti Dolci June 26, 2012

House of Bread! They also had a multigrain bread with dried apricots that I loved & plenty of savory options too.

9 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 26, 2012

Okay so I am terrified of yeast but seeing how AMAZING this looks, I will put my fear aside for one day and whip these babies up :)

10 Tutti Dolci June 26, 2012

You can do it! I promise, yeast isn’t that scary :).

11 Rachelle S. June 26, 2012

1. These look amazing. What bakery did you originally have these at?
2. I can’t believe I just recently found your blog AND it was through a random click on your Smitten Kitchen comment!
3. I miss you terribly :(

12 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts June 26, 2012

Oh, and chambord glaze sounds perfect with these. I could go for one of these right now! Major sugar craving and nothing in the house :(

13 Valerie June 26, 2012

These pinwheels are adorable! (And despite the yeast, not too intimidating.) Love the Instagram photos! :D

14 Tutti Dolci June 26, 2012

Thanks Valerie! :)

15 Liz June 26, 2012

Oooh, these would pair marvelously with my morning tea!!! What a delightful treat!

16 Roxana Greengirl {A little bit of everything} June 26, 2012

I saw your raspberry photo on Instagram and was curios what you’re making. These pinwheels sound amazing, I love raspberry and I’d love to sip on a hot cup of tea and nibble on one, or two pinwheels

17 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings June 26, 2012

Swooning and drooling at the same time here…and who doesn’t like a boozy Chambord glaze?

18 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } June 26, 2012

These look sooooo tasty! Must make these soon. We have a good friend who lives in Natoma near SLO. Glad Priscilla asked the name of the bakery – will have to hit it next time we are down there. :-)

19 Marina@Picnic at Marina June 26, 2012

It looks so “summery”. Chambord glaze? I am sold! :)

20 Miriam @ Overtime Cook June 26, 2012

These look absolutely delicious! Love the glaze!

21 Charles June 27, 2012

Oh these look like a perfect thing for morning coffee – I love jammy bun-type things… they look so pretty too with the little swirl on top!

22 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 27, 2012

I love the contrast between the dough and the raspberry! :D

23 Jennifer (Delicieux) June 27, 2012

Your pinwheels look and sound fantastic. I especially love the sound of the Chambord glaze!

24 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen June 27, 2012

The filling in these pinwheels is gorgeous! Totally different with the fresh raspberries. I hate the burnt, overspilled raspberry jam filling, though I use it sometimes. I bet the taste is unsurpassed also.

25 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 27, 2012

These look beautiful. I love the photos because they make me want to bake these right now.

26 nina June 27, 2012

These look and sound very good. I love raspberries and I would love to try some:)

27 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction June 27, 2012

These are gorgeous! I love the raspberry filling!

28 Laura @ Family Spice June 27, 2012

So pretty! I love the bright color and the raspberry filling. I don’t do coffee, but this is perfect with my tea!

29 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers June 27, 2012

I knew this one would come out as something good after I saw the picture in the making. You always make good desserts Laura!

30 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) June 27, 2012

Lucky lady! We went to SLO for the first time a couple of years ago and it was as amazing as everyone had always told me. I would love to live there!

31 Baker Street June 28, 2012

Wow! You did a fabulous job of recreating those rolls! I was drooling at the title alone but now that I’ve seen it, I totally must give it a try! I would’ve gone with the chambord glaze too! ;)

32 Deb June 28, 2012

I adore the raspberry pinwheels! My family is hooked on traditional cinnamon rolls but I may have to suprize them with this sweet change!

33 Julia {The Roasted Root} June 28, 2012

From time to time I try to recreate the recipes that I love from restaurants I frequent…so far I’ve been pretty unsuccessful admittedly ;) Your recreation looks delicious and even better that it surpassed your expectations. I’d totally fall in addicted love with these pinwheels!

34 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen June 28, 2012

your pictures are as cute as ever! and raspberry in a roll.. creative!

35 May I Have That Recipe June 28, 2012

Wow!!! This looks AMAZING!!! Cant wait to try it!!

36 Liren June 28, 2012

As I sit here, waiting for my coffee to finish brewing, I desperately want one of these beautiful raspberry pinwheels! How wonderful it must have felt to recreate and perfect this memory!

37 Nami | Just One Cookbook June 28, 2012

Oh how pretty! I love how you take picture of these pinwheels (this pinwheel). I just got raspberry today, really wish I can bake… you know me. I can combine in one and pour better, but playing with the dough and shape… hmm…good question. But I want this with my coffee…when I was in college I was eating macaroons with my coffee. Good memory. Thanks for the story – now I miss my young college days. Haha!

38 Deborah June 28, 2012

These are so pretty!! I love the raspberry!

39 the wicked noodle June 29, 2012

I don’t do yeast, but I will definitely try the filling with some puff pastry. Or MAYBE I could try making your dough since it really looks amazing. The photos are gorgeous, as usual!

40 Erin Motz June 30, 2012

This looks so pretty and so delicious! Love this take on something that’s usually filled with cinnamon and sugar!

41 Janelle E. July 2, 2012

The pinwheels look beautiful and yummy, and man, do I miss House of Bread!!

42 Magic of Spice July 7, 2012

Oh wow, I lived in SLO and Pismo for years :) In fact my mother and brother still live up there so I visit, when I can :)
Your rolls look wonderful!

43 Daphne from Auckland, NZ November 1, 2012

Hi – I had to try this recipe and can I just say it was the loveliest chewiest bread dough recipe ever!!! But how do you roll these without the gooey jammy filling just squeezed out the end? I don’t mean the short ends on either side but my filling didn’t stay within the roll if you know what I mean. Am I rolling too tight?

44 Tutti Dolci November 8, 2012

Hi Daphne, thanks for your comment! If your filling is squeezing out, try to roll the dough a little looser – I also like to leave a 1-inch border around the edges. Hope that helps!

45 Belén July 16, 2013

Your gorgeous and delicious recipe inspired me to create a hybrid. The filling for yours works perfect in puff pastry! http://www.lemontine.com/2013/07/16/raspberry-pinwheels/