cherry-mint sorbet

June 2, 2012

in Frozen Treats

There’s nothing more refreshing than a chilled bowl of sorbet following an alfresco dinner on the patio. Simultaneously sweet and cooling, this cherry-mint sorbet is absolutely revitalizing. I infused the simple syrup with a handful of sweet mint leaves for a vibrant twist, and happily found the pairing of fresh cherries with mint much to my liking – in fact, I’m ready to make another quart! What’s your favorite way to stay cool in the summer heat?

Cherry-Mint Sorbet
2 cups water
1/4 cup sweet mint leaves, crushed
1 1/2 cups cherries, pitted and pureed

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and stir in mint leaves; let steep 30 minutes.

Stir in cherry puree, then strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids. Chill for at least 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another hour or until firm.

Yield – 3 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

1 Suzanne June 2, 2012

I love it cherry’s with mint sounds tasty. You should link this up to the ice cream bloghop go check out my blog and link it up if you like. So far there are lots of great ice-cream/yogurt recipes. Have a great weekend :)

2 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers June 2, 2012

I love your combination Laura. I never tried them together but I love both. My favorite sorbet is lemon. After a big lunch or dinner of seafood, especially in summer, I can’t stand up from the table without a glass of sorbetto al limone.

3 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } June 2, 2012

What a perfectly simple dessert and the flavor combination is just amazing. Love that you served it in jars – rustic and perfect for summer. Enjoy your weekend.

4 Baker Street June 2, 2012

Yes, please! Excellent combination of flavors, Laura. I’m hosting an ice cream blog hop, do come and share this fabulous recipe with us! :)

5 Valerie June 2, 2012

So simple, yet so exquisite! Cherry and mint sound like a wonderful combination.

I like to stay cool in the summer by having a lot of homemade lemonade on hand. :-)

6 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 2, 2012

I’ve never had mint with cherries but I bet it tastes great and so very refreshing too! :)

7 Cookin' Canuck June 2, 2012

Your photos are so lovely, and this sorbet sounds like the perfect thing to fend off the summer heat.

8 Nami | Just One Cookbook June 3, 2012

I also made sorbet today and did photo shoot but I wasn’t too happy with the pictures. You took such beautiful pictures Laura!! I love that glass with the lid jars!!! Cherry and mint – never thought of this combination. I had my first cherries today (finally!) and it was delicious. Can’t wait till going to cherry pick this month!

9 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 3, 2012

Awesome combo of flavors! And perfect for the weather we’ve been having these days. It’s getting too hot in LA!

10 Soni June 3, 2012

Love your flavors in this!!So so delicious and gorgeous looking!!Thanks for sharing :)

11 cassie June 3, 2012

I think sorbet is one of my favorite summer treats. This is perfect!

12 Elizabeth @Mango_Queen June 3, 2012

this cherry mint sorbet is so inviting! Thanks for sharing some ice cream love with us!

13 Sandra's Easy Cooking June 3, 2012

Very pretty and refreshing…love your yummy photo here, Laura!

14 Liren June 3, 2012

Absolutely a perfect way to cool off in the summer heat! I just love sorbets infused with herbs, too!

15 Richgail @AstigVegan June 3, 2012

Can’t wait to try this, I love cherries! And I love that the recipe is simple, delicious, and vegan! Thanks for sharing.

16 Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake June 4, 2012

I love sorbets and cherry + mint sounds like such a fantastic combination. Too bad we’re heading into winter here in Australia, summer seems so far away! :(

17 the wicked noodle June 4, 2012

Our mint grows like a weed and I’m always looking for new and different ways to use it. My mom loves fresh cherries and I’m going to make this for her on her next visit!

18 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction June 4, 2012

Yum, love fresh cherries! Perfect refreshing treat!

19 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings June 4, 2012

Hmmm, another ice cream recipe that needs a maker! I think the ice cream gods are sending me a message. If I don’t get one, I’d be missing out on yummy frozen delights like this!!!

20 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) June 4, 2012

I have fresh cherries sitting on my kitchen counter as I type and tons of fresh mint in my garden. This sorbet is begging to be made!

21 elena-sweetlife June 4, 2012

Love your sorbet! In the summer I like sorbet and ice cream, maybe with some fresh fruits…

22 Laura @ Family Spice June 4, 2012

I’m so happy summer is here – it’s cherry season! And sorbet season! You always make me drool over my keyboard…. : )

23 Alyssa (Everyday Maven) June 4, 2012

That sounds so refreshing! Now, I just need it get hot enough here to enjoy it.

24 Ozlem's Turkish Table June 5, 2012

Looks so beautiful and refreshing, just like your blog! Very much enjoy reading your posts and this sorbet, and will give you a link at mine :)
In Turkey, we love having freshly made lemonades with fresh mint leaves and plenty ice cubes in it. I made a Victoria Sponge cake with berries and lemon curd for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations in England and your sorbet will complement beautifully!

25 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 5, 2012

I’ve been looking for something light and guilt-free for a summertime dessert – this looks perfect! :)

26 Deb June 5, 2012

I have confirmed that the local orchard will open for cherry picking later this week and am so excited to be able to have fresh cherries! (and at a very good price!) The sorbet sparkles in icy delight! Seductively whispering “summer is almost here.” A splendid dessert!

27 Magic of Spice June 6, 2012

Such a beautiful combination and so refreshing! I need to see if the cherries are good at the farmers’ markets this weekend…lovely treat!

28 Sanjeeta kk June 6, 2012

Amazing..could imagine how magical the mint and cherry combo would be..yum!

29 Krista June 11, 2012

I am loving all these cherry recipes! A refreshing sorbet is a great way to cool down on hot summer nights.