blueberry-peach sorbet

Consider the first ripe peach of the summer. A too-firm grip could easily bruise the tender flesh, and as you peel away the fuzzy skin, syrupy-sweet juice runs down your arms. You don’t mind the mess, though. It signals carefree summer days, filled with lazy afternoons and abundance – abundance of daylight and ripeness.

Pair a few of those peaches with nickle-sized blueberries that burst with floral juiciness and you’re in for a treat. This blueberry-peach sorbet is smooth, oh so smooth. A splash of brandy anchors the fruit and each scoop tastes like summer in a bowl. I can’t think of a more delicious way to celebrate the new season.

Blueberry-Peach Sorbet
2 cups water
2 medium peaches (1 1/4 cups), pureed
1 cup blueberries, pureed
2 Tbsp brandy

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pureed fruit; let steep 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids; stir in brandy.

Chill for at least 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another hour or until firm.

Yield – 3 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

I’ve never put blueberry and peaches together but boy, does it sound good, especially in a sorbet. The alcohol really does help to keep the sorbet from getting too icy, doesn’t it? I love that this doesn’t have too much sugar–I bet the flavor of the fruits really shine. Great recipe, Laura!

Hi – this looks refreshing and delicious! I’ve paired peaches and blueberries in a cobbler before but not sorbet. Love it! Your descriptions have me yearning for stone fruit…soon! Your photos are stunning, too.

Just realized that both blueberries and peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits that I can even eat them as 3 meals a day. I’m serious. If blueberry-peach sorbet as my diet plan, I totally wouldn’t mind eating this all day long. So many desserts to make from your site, Laura! Do you make dessert everyday? I need to live in with you!!! 😉

Lovely description, beautiful photos! (and Brandy is always a plus.)
    I would love to have a few scoops of this sorbet right now!! 😀

i want to add this sorbet in a vanilla cake as one of the ingredients. can you imagine how fruity it would taste?! my god! it would be to die for! 😀

“Consider the first ripe peach of the summer”

At first I missed the word “ripe”… “the first peach of summer” I thought….”hmmm….” 😀 – All the peaches we’re getting here right now are like little rocks so it’ll be a few more weeks before we have truly delicious, ripe peaches available… it’s just not the same when you have to set them in the sun for days to ripen up.

Fantastic sounding sorbet – the colour is just awesome!

• Tutti Dolci says

You’re right, Charles – there is a huge difference between a ripe and unripe peach! Those little rocks are not so appetizing. I took a chance on the peaches for the sorbet and they were perfect. The peach I sliced into today was a different story altogether… it’s a little early for consistency!

Amazing Sorbet….I’ve never thought about pairing Peaches and Blueberry, this is incredible…loving it. Bookmarking this one:)

Love this fruit combination in a sorbet and that splash of brandy sounds perfect! Your photos are beautiful with such appealing colors;-)