blueberry-peach sorbet

June 14, 2012

in Frozen Treats

Consider the first ripe peach of the summer. A too-firm grip could easily bruise the tender flesh, and as you peel away the fuzzy skin, syrupy-sweet juice runs down your arms. You don’t mind the mess, though. It signals carefree summer days, filled with lazy afternoons and abundance – abundance of daylight and ripeness.

Pair a few of those peaches with nickle-sized blueberries that burst with floral juiciness and you’re in for a treat. This blueberry-peach sorbet is smooth, oh so smooth. A splash of brandy anchors the fruit and each scoop tastes like summer in a bowl. I can’t think of a more delicious way to celebrate the new season.

Blueberry-Peach Sorbet
2 cups water
2 medium peaches (1 1/4 cups), pureed
1 cup blueberries, pureed
2 Tbsp brandy

Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer until sugar has completely dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pureed fruit; let steep 20 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl and discard solids; stir in brandy.

Chill for at least 3-4 hours in the refrigerator before pouring into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and place in the freezer for another hour or until firm.

Yield – 3 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup)

1 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) June 14, 2012

I’ve never put blueberry and peaches together but boy, does it sound good, especially in a sorbet. The alcohol really does help to keep the sorbet from getting too icy, doesn’t it? I love that this doesn’t have too much sugar–I bet the flavor of the fruits really shine. Great recipe, Laura!

2 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 14, 2012

What an amazing sorbet. It sounds (and looks) wonderful.

3 hena tayeb June 14, 2012

Mmm looks yum. I have never tried a blueberry peach combo.

4 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers June 14, 2012

This combination is new to me but seems so good. And so fresh and summery. Thanks for sharing Laura!

5 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings June 14, 2012

Yes, everyone’s coming out with signature delicious frozen desserts! love it! this looks refreshing…

6 Cassie (bake your day) June 14, 2012

I love sorbet, Laura. It’s so refreshing. And this flavor combination – all over it. The photos are stunning!

7 Hannah June 14, 2012

Hi – this looks refreshing and delicious! I’ve paired peaches and blueberries in a cobbler before but not sorbet. Love it! Your descriptions have me yearning for stone fruit…soon! Your photos are stunning, too.

8 Jennifer | Mother Thyme June 14, 2012

Just stunning! I love sorbet and the addition of brandy in this! :)

9 Nami | Just One Cookbook June 14, 2012

Just realized that both blueberries and peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits that I can even eat them as 3 meals a day. I’m serious. If blueberry-peach sorbet as my diet plan, I totally wouldn’t mind eating this all day long. So many desserts to make from your site, Laura! Do you make dessert everyday? I need to live in with you!!! ;-)

10 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 14, 2012

I just bought a whole bag of peaches so this is just what I need!

11 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts June 14, 2012

I love fresh peaches! They aren’t quite in season yet here, but in a few weeks they will be on every street corner! I never would have thought to put them with blueberries though, such a pretty color!

12 the wicked noodle June 14, 2012

Nickel-sized blueberries? Brandy, too? This is my kind of sorbet! Sounds sooo good!!

13 Laura @ Family Spice June 14, 2012

Mmmm… brandy in my sorbert! That’s what I’ve been missing!

14 Valerie June 14, 2012

Lovely description, beautiful photos! (and Brandy is always a plus.)
I would love to have a few scoops of this sorbet right now!! :D

15 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } June 14, 2012

Love the addition of the brandy to this sorbet! Loving all of the wonderful ice cream and sorbets out this time of year. Yours sounds simply supreme. Pinning now!! :-)

16 Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet June 14, 2012

I have been craving peaches for weeks. This sounds like a perfect excuse to get some. Love the pictures!

17 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 14, 2012

Two of my favorite fruits perfect paired together.

18 Sandra's Easy Cooking June 15, 2012

I am loving this…what a great combination! Very refreshing and of course beautiful!

19 cakewhiz June 15, 2012

i want to add this sorbet in a vanilla cake as one of the ingredients. can you imagine how fruity it would taste?! my god! it would be to die for! :D

20 Tutti Dolci June 15, 2012

I love that idea; I’ve never thought to add sorbet to a cake but it sounds delicious!

21 Charles June 15, 2012

“Consider the first ripe peach of the summer”

At first I missed the word “ripe”… “the first peach of summer” I thought….”hmmm….” :D – All the peaches we’re getting here right now are like little rocks so it’ll be a few more weeks before we have truly delicious, ripe peaches available… it’s just not the same when you have to set them in the sun for days to ripen up.

Fantastic sounding sorbet – the colour is just awesome!

22 Tutti Dolci June 15, 2012

You’re right, Charles – there is a huge difference between a ripe and unripe peach! Those little rocks are not so appetizing. I took a chance on the peaches for the sorbet and they were perfect. The peach I sliced into today was a different story altogether… it’s a little early for consistency!

23 myfudo June 15, 2012

The combination is perfect for summer…Looks easy to make too. A must try!

24 Baker Street June 15, 2012

blueberry and peach is such a magical combination. Your pictures are just stunning, Laura!

25 Liren June 16, 2012

Gorgeous! And did you say brandy? Yes, please!

26 ATasteOfMadness June 16, 2012

I have only ever had sorbet twice, but I loved it every time. This looks fantastic! I love the combination!

27 Erin@TheFoodMentalist June 16, 2012

Just discovered your blog and it’s gorgeous! This sorbet looks divine too :)

28 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 16, 2012

Oh I cannot wait until these fruits come around for us! We’re in the depths of Winter at the moment so I look to your photos with much lust! :)

29 nina June 17, 2012

Amazing Sorbet….I’ve never thought about pairing Peaches and Blueberry, this is incredible…loving it. Bookmarking this one:)

30 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} June 17, 2012

blueberry and peaches? never tried this combo but sounds and looks intriguing.

31 Baking Serendipity June 17, 2012

I love the peaches…and the brandy :) Perfect summer sorbet!

32 Patty June 18, 2012

Love this fruit combination in a sorbet and that splash of brandy sounds perfect! Your photos are beautiful with such appealing colors;-)

33 Nancy/SpicieFoodie June 20, 2012

It’s so hot here today and I’d love to cool down with this sorbet. Thanks for sharing! I am really loving the flavour combinations.