blueberry-mascarpone muffins

June 11, 2012

in Breakfast & Muffins

I like to think Monday morning calls for a freshly baked muffin. As you ease your way into a new week, a warm muffin is just the thing to take the edge off of looming responsibilities and deadlines. One bite of these blueberry-Mascarpone muffins, and you’ll find your spirits instantly lifted. I promise.

Fragrant with orange blossom honey and lemon zest, these muffins are bursting with sweet and juicy Driscoll’s blueberries. A hidden pocket of creamy Mascarpone in the center pushes these into best-ever blueberry muffin territory. After a delicious breakfast like this, you’ll be ready for whatever the day brings.

Blueberry-Mascarpone Muffins
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup fresh Driscoll’s blueberries
1/4 cup Mascarpone, divided
1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups; coat baking cups with cooking spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine buttermilk, egg, honey, oil, vanilla, and lemon zest in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Gently fold in blueberries.

Fill each baking cup with a rounded tablespoon of batter, then add 1 teaspoon Mascarpone. Top with another rounded tablespoon of batter (each baking cup will be 2/3 full) and sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly over muffins. Bake for 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on a wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan to serve warm or cool completely. Store leftover muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 days.

Yield – 12 muffins (serving size: 1 muffin)

FTC: Driscoll’s provided me with coupons for recipe development. I was not compensated in any other way and was not obligated to write or recommend the berries. All opinions are my own.

1 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) June 11, 2012

It would have been so nice to start my Monday morning with these muffins. I love blueberries in baked goods and you can’t ever go wrong with mascarpone. I can just imagine the lovely texture of these muffins, yum!

2 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious June 11, 2012

I’m totally on board with these muffins! And the addition of mascarpone is absolutely genius!

3 Valerie June 11, 2012

I can almost smell these through the screen! I love the additions of orange blossom honey and mascarpone cheese!! (And I also love that gorgeous table linen.)

4 Laura @ Family Spice June 11, 2012

Yeah! You used honey!!! I’m so glad these turned out for you. I love seeing the blueberry juice spilling all over the muffins! And I agree with Valerie- gorgeous table linens!

5 Tutti Dolci June 11, 2012

Using honey worked perfectly thanks to your tips! :)

6 Patty June 11, 2012

I would like to start my day with one of these muffins! I’ve been thinking about using mascarpone in my baking, it does sound delicious with the blueberries;-)

7 Cassie (bake your day) June 11, 2012

I bet these are so incredibly moist. They look wonderful!

8 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) June 11, 2012

love the mascarpone in these muffins! sounds delicious!

9 Karen (Back Road Journal) June 11, 2012

The mascarpone centers must really make these muffins a standout. A lovely way indeed to start the day.

10 Magic of Spice June 11, 2012

These would be heavenly any day of the week! Orange blossom, honey and lemon zest almond with these blueberries…Oh my!

11 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers June 11, 2012

I believe you! Oh, how I wish I can have at least one when I wake up any day of the week. It sounds so delicious. You put all the ingredients that are just captivating. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!

12 Jennifer | Mother Thyme June 11, 2012

Blueberry Muffins are my favorite! I love the addition of mascarpone cheese in these. Fabulous recipe!

13 Julia {The Roasted Root} June 11, 2012

I could eat blueberry muffins every day…your mascarpone in the middle sounds fantastic – I’ve never had a muffin with yummy creamy mascarpone in the center! Love the recipe and looking forward to trying it!

14 Suzanne June 11, 2012

These sound so good, I love blueberry muffins and with some mascarpone cheese yum! Definitely a good Monday breakfast!

15 nina June 11, 2012

I wud love to start my monday morning with these gorgeous muffins:). I love the mascarpone and blueberry…its a great combo. You make it look so beautiful and tempting…am craving for some:)

16 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella June 12, 2012

Ooh a centre of mascarpone? Be still my beating heart! :D

17 Baker Street June 12, 2012

Love the idea of mascarpone in my muffins and you know I am totally on board with the idea of a muffin on monday morning. :)

18 the wicked noodle June 12, 2012

Mascarpone in muffins? Dreamy sigh…sounds absolutely heavenly. Love that there’s also orange blossom honey & lemon zest – what a great combo with the berries! I’m a big Driscoll’s fan!

19 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } June 12, 2012

Love the addition of orange blossom honey and mascarpone to these beautiful muffins. I bet they just taste wonderful. Pinning now. :-)

20 Jessica@AKitchenAddiction June 12, 2012

So delicious!! I love how there is mascarpone in the middle!

21 Deb June 12, 2012

My husband adores blueberries! This just might be the perfect treat for Father’s Day breakfast this weekend. The scoop of mascarpone will be a very pleasant surprise for my resident blueberry lover. A delicious post!

BTW: I finally went cherry picking yesterday! Cherry “something” for dessert tonight!

22 Lizzy (Good Things) June 12, 2012

Laura, I adore blueberry muffins, they are among my favourites. And Driscolls usually have beautiful berries. Your recipe is superb!

23 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings June 12, 2012

Yummy! So got a a “not-so-sweet” batch of blueberries from the grocery store. It’s a bit too tart to eat by themselves, so guess where they are going? Into muffins!!! I hope I have some mascarpone in my fridge! These look deeeee-lish!

24 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin June 12, 2012

These really do sound like the ultimate blueberry muffin! :) Thank you for reminding me that it’s been far too long since I’ve brightened my Monday morning with a fresh, warm muffin!

25 Priscilla@ShesCookin June 12, 2012

Yum! A muffin with mascarpone AND blueberries – yes, please. From now on I think I’ll just pour my coffee and surf the web for delicious muffins every Monday :)

26 Jen @ Savory Simple June 12, 2012

Mascarpone sounds perfect here. Love!

27 Marina@ Picnic at Marina June 12, 2012

What a beautiful muffins and a great recipe. I love adding mascarpone to muffins, it taste so good! :)

28 Moya June 12, 2012

I know I would enjoy these muffins every day of the week! Orange blossom honey, mascarpone and blueberries… I am sure they taste so delicious. :)

29 Jennifer (Delicieux) June 12, 2012

Blueberry muffins are my favourite muffin flavour, but with mascarpone they truly sound divine!

30 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts June 13, 2012

Gorgeous muffins! Love the addition of mascarpone in there!

31 Sandra's Easy Cooking June 13, 2012

Yum yum….would love those beauties with my morning coffee!:) They look so tasty!!!!

32 Nami | Just One Cookbook June 13, 2012

Your Mondays seem a lot more calm and elegant with these muffins than my crazy Monday mornings! LOL. None of us can barely get up before 7am and I have to rush everyone to get ready, yelling “quickly!” many times so that we can leave the house before 8am for school… BUT now it’s summer and we’re a little more relaxed. Maybe muffin on Monday is possible if “I” wake up early? =) Beautiful and delicious post, Laura!

33 Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 14, 2012

Am I too late for muffins? This recipe sounds to die for and what beautiful photographs!

34 Laura June 14, 2012

Love, love, love the idea of mascarpone in a muffin!

35 Beth June 14, 2012

I love blueberry muffins, and this variation sounds terrific. The addition of mascarpone is great!

36 Stefanie June 14, 2012

Yum! I have some mascarpone in my frig right now, and some blueberries in the freezer… I’m thinking I’ll just have to try these!! Look absolutely delish!

37 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen June 16, 2012

The cream center sounds perfect here. A great twist on those beautiful, tinted muffins!

38 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} June 17, 2012

Hubby loves blueberry muffins and I’m in love with the mascarpone addition. Can’t wait to give these a try!

39 Bincy April 12, 2013

How long are these muffins good for, after they are baked? I’m thinking of sending them to family in another state. Thanks!

40 Tutti Dolci April 12, 2013

Hi Bincy, these muffins are delicious but I don’t recommend them for shipping… they have a dollop of Mascarpone cheese in the center, so I store them in the refrigerator once fully cool. If you are set on blueberries, I’d recommend my blueberry-lemon loaf cake or chocolate-banana muffins if you want to make muffins.