raspberry loaf cake with chambord glaze

May 7, 2012

in Cakes & Tea Cakes

In the last few months, I’ve come to realize that baking is an extension of who I am. This dawned on me when I considered that I rarely go anywhere without a cello bag filled with cookies or a platter laden with fruit bars to share. While a cake is essentially ingredients working together in a serendipitous way, the process of baking a cake for someone is more than just a cake – it’s an expression of my love and care for that person in edible form.

We celebrated my mom’s birthday last week, and I served forth this raspberry loaf cake with Chambord glaze in her honor. This simple yet lovely last course hit all the right notes and highlights the raspberry. Each golden slice reveals fresh berries and another handful tumbles over the pink-hued Chambord glaze. Fitting for a birthday, Mother’s Day, or just because, you’ll savor each scrumptious bite.

Raspberry Loaf Cake with Chambord Glaze
Batter
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 Tbsp low-fat buttermilk
2 Tbsp Chambord
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup raspberries, divided

Chambord Glaze
1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Chambord

Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk, vanilla, and Chambord in a small bowl. Beat lemon zest, butter, and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add egg, beating until combined. Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture.

Spoon half of the batter into prepared pan; sprinkle with 2/3 cup raspberries and top with remaining batter. Bake for 20 minutes; rotate pan and cover loaf loosely with foil to prevent overbrowning, then continue baking another 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake springs back to the touch. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; carefully remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, lemon juice, and Chambord in a small bowl. Set rack with cake over a piece of wax paper and drizzle with glaze; top with remaining raspberries. Let glaze set at least 10 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 day.

Yield – 8 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

1 Catalina @ Cake with Love May 7, 2012

I love rasspberryries!! This loaf sounds amazing, I wish you would’ve posted a photo of the actual slice, to see the texture!! But I am sure thas it is equally amazing!

2 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts May 7, 2012

This looks incredible! I love chambord, I am sure it made a tasty glaze to go with the cake!

3 Valerie May 7, 2012

What a lovely way to celebrate your mom’s birthday! The Chambord glaze is the sweetest shade of pink. :D

4 Katie {Epicurean Mom} May 7, 2012

I’ve never cooked with chambord, looks like I need to start! Looks fantastic Laura!

5 ATasteOfMadness May 7, 2012

Oh yum! I just made a raspberry loaf too, but it looked nowhere as good as this! I need to try cooking with chambord, it looks delicious!

6 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings May 7, 2012

I love desserts and I enjoy baking…I wish I had more time to bake…perhaps when my kids are older! This loaf cake looks ultra delicious – terrific for dessert or even for breakfast :)

7 Grammy May 7, 2012

Laura, not only does the cake look delicious, the words you used to describe the reason for baking the cake for someone.. not just mixing the ingredients but it is an expression of your love. I like the idea of sharing your dolci with others that you meet along the way. You are a gift to so many people and I love you for it.

8 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) May 7, 2012

I’m smiling at your Grammy’s comment–how sweet…and happy belated birthday to your mom. :)

You and I have similar ideas about special cakes. My birthday cake was a loaf cake with raspberries and Chambord, too. :) I know this would be delicious. This is a lovely, lovely cake, Laura. :)

9 Tutti Dolci May 7, 2012

Thanks Jean, I’ll pass it along to her :).

10 Suzanne May 7, 2012

I fell the same way about baking Laura, but I have cut back lately since I eat way too much of it. Although I do give lots of it away. Your berry loaf is lovely looking with the fresh raspberries and pink glaze.

11 Sandra's Easy Cooking May 7, 2012

This is beautiful and tasty, Laura! What a great treat for your family!

12 Nami | Just One Cookbook May 8, 2012

Would you be my baking teacher? I wish I love baking – I might love baking one day but I don’t have much experience in baking while growing up or even as an adult, I have this fear… I love eating all kinds of baked goods though. ;-) Very beautiful cake and happy belated birthday to your mom!

13 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } May 8, 2012

What a stunning cake! I adore raspberries and with the chambord, you made this super special. Pinning now!!!

14 Julia {The Roasted Root} May 8, 2012

Anything baked in a loaf pan just makes me smile….actually, anything baked makes me smile. Your raspberry loaf looks great and the chambord glaze sounds awesome!

15 Priscilla | She's Cookin' May 8, 2012

More berry sweetness! I’m with Nami, wish I were a better baker – meanwhile, I live and eat vicariously through my lovely friends :) Lovely cake to celebrate your mom’s birthday!

16 Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) May 8, 2012

this looks so beautiful and delicious! i would love to try this!

17 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers May 8, 2012

Baking has not reciprocated my feelings for it yet. I wish it would because I am a frustrated baker! I love your cake. It really looks and sounds delicious! Maybe I can do it without any bad episodes in the kitchen. :-)

18 Jennifer (Delicieux) May 8, 2012

What a gorgeous cake!! And I totally agree, baking really is a way to show your love for someone.

19 Beth May 9, 2012

I recently made a chocolate and raspberry cake too, and I think the flavors work perfectly together. I love the idea of a loaf cake, as you get the gorgeous taste without too many leftovers! Baking is one of the ways I show love to people too.

20 Patricia Scarpin May 9, 2012

Laura, my birthday is in November – how about you bake this beautiful cake for me then? ;)
Looks so pretty! I love raspberries.

21 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin May 9, 2012

I think this is perfect for Mother’s Day. You can really see all the time and love baked into this beautiful cake :)

22 Roxana GreenGirl { A little bit of everything} May 9, 2012

Happy belated birthday to your Mom. The loaf looks so beautiful!
I can’t think of a better way to show someone how much we care than making a cake for them!

23 Charles May 10, 2012

That’s a beautiful cake Laura – not too rich and heavy like some cakes can be if they’re loaded up too high on frosting and so forth. This looks a wonderful balance, and a wonderful way of saying “thank you” on a family member’s birthday! I’m sure it was a very popular offering :)

24 Gourmantine May 10, 2012

What a decadent cake, Laura, your mom should have been very happy to get it (I know I would). The chambord glaze is an excellent idea, I’d love to try.

25 Patty May 10, 2012

I can’t take my eyes off your cake, the fresh raspberries on top are the crowning touch, just beautiful!

26 LP @dishclips May 11, 2012

Looks sweet and delicious! Thanks for sharing!

27 Liren May 13, 2012

Wow, Laura. Beautiful, beautiful creation. The glaze may be my favorite part!

28 Magic of Spice May 19, 2012

What an incredible looking cake…just gorgeous!

29 Kate | Food Babbles December 11, 2012

This looks so lovely!! I really adore raspberries and think this cake would be right up my alley. Yum! That glaze looks to die for.