chocolate-espresso ice cream sandwiches

May 24, 2012

in Frozen Treats

Memorial Day weekend is thisclose and can only mean one thing: three full days of grilling, relaxation, and fun in the sun. I’m looking forward to some serious lounge time by the pool! When I want to cool off and juicy slices of watermelon no longer satisfy, I’ll head to the freezer and tap into my stash of chocolate-espresso ice cream sandwiches.

Espresso-laced chocolate cookies sandwich French Silk ice cream (a blend of mocha and vanilla mousse ice creams with bittersweet chocolate chips) for a cooling treat that’s a coffee lover’s delight. If you like chocolate and coffee as much as I do, you’ll find these sophisticated sandwiches impossible to resist. Have a wonderful holiday weekend (and don’t forget to savor something sweet)!

Chocolate-Espresso Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp instant espresso
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups Dreyers Grand Light French Silk ice cream

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and espresso; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 30 1-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

When ready to assemble sandwiches, place a small scoop (about 2 tablespoons) ice cream onto 15 cookies and sandwich with remaining cookies. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap; freeze 2 hours or until firm before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Yield – 15 ice cream sandwiches (serving size: 1 sandwich)

1 Baker Street May 24, 2012

These would be perfect for Memorial Day! Hope you have a great weekend! The combination of espresso and chocolate is completely irresistible! :)

2 Liren May 24, 2012

I think my heart skipped a beat when I saw this! Absolutely perfect for the Memorial Day weekend ahead!

3 Priscilla | ShesCookin May 24, 2012

Oh my! I better get started on these right away! Perfect for the holiday (or any) weekend :) Have a relaxing time by the pool, Laura!

4 Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking May 24, 2012

Wow, Laura, these little ice cream sandwiches look so delicious! Love how easy the cookies you made are, too. Wonderful spring and summer recipe!

5 Nami | Just One Cookbook May 24, 2012

Hi Laura! I think I rather want to visit you to spend the Memorial Day weekend with you. ;-) Sounds like fun and DELICIOUS! Here it’s going to be still 70F and not warm enough for pool yet I think. I’ve never made sandwich ice cream for my kids. They are missing out something seriously delicious. I had some store-bought but not homemade ice cream sandwich yet. This is something I’ll be trying this spring/summer. Thanks for inspiring me!!!

6 Magic of Spice May 24, 2012

These are amazing! I fear I may dream about them :) Such a perfect treat for Memorial Day!

7 Averie @ Averie Cooks May 24, 2012

Those little cookies are too adorable! and such pretty pictures with the pink involved, too!

8 Valerie May 24, 2012

Even without the ice cream these cookies look great! Of course, why stop there? :-) Happy early Memorial Day weekend!

9 Katia May 24, 2012

Laura, I think I’m love with them, they look amazing… (but please, hide your calorie counting, I’m supposed to be on a diet… well, kind of! :)
Have a nice weekend!

10 Suzanne May 24, 2012

Sounds wonderful Laura, love ice-cream sandwiches so much too. Have a wonderful relaxing weekend lounging by the pool, I hope to do the same!

11 Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious May 24, 2012

I am thrilled that memorial day is so close! Getting a day off of work means that I’ll be stuffing myself with all kinds of food for three days straight, including this awesomeness. If I get fat, I have you to blame :)

12 Gourmantine May 24, 2012

For a coffee lover (addict) like these sweet sandwiches are perfect, more than perfect I’d say :)

13 Sandra's Easy Cooking May 24, 2012

Those look absolutely fantastic! You did incredible job making these beauties!

14 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts May 24, 2012

Yum! I love the mix of ice cream with a soft cookie. French Silk Pie is one of my all time favorites, but I have not tried the ice cream yet, will have to do that soon!

15 the wicked noodle May 24, 2012

I wish you lived closer so I could invite you to our big bash this weekend! And then I could beg you to bring some of these along! They look SO GOOD!! I need to go on a diet just from looking at your gorgeous treats!!

16 Spencer May 24, 2012

Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some.

17 Lisa { AuthenticSuburbanGourmet } May 24, 2012

I agree – a perfect holiday weekend treat! Anything with chocolate and espresso is a favorite in my book. Hope you enjoy the long weekend!!

18 Jennifer (Delicieux) May 24, 2012

Oh my, these look SO good!! Saving this for when we head into summer.

19 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen May 25, 2012

Perfect summertime treat!

20 Jennifer May 25, 2012

I love little homemade ice cream sandwiches. This looks like a good beginning-of-summer recipe!

21 Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes May 25, 2012

Beautiful and decandet little treats! The coffee-chocolate combo is terrific, and the fact that they need to be in the freezer makes them the perfect bake-one-day and eat them all week long sandwich!

22 Patty May 25, 2012

Love these sweet chocolate bites for the holiday weekend;-)

23 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers May 25, 2012

Exactly the flavors I always order in the ice cream shops here. I love ice cream sandwiches and this one would sure make a hit at home. But the coffee for the adults. :-) My kids love the smell and taste of coffee but they’re still not allowed coffee ice creams. :-)

24 Katie {Epicurean Mom} May 25, 2012

Such a perfect memorial day sweet treat!! they are so decadent and gorgeous looking and sounding! Can’t wait to try these out. Have a great memorial day Laura! xx

25 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) May 25, 2012

How do you come up with all these delicious treats? Your family is lucky to be able to enjoy all the goodies that you make. The cookies alone would be treat enough but with the ice cream, even better!

26 Karen (Back Road Journal) May 25, 2012

A totally decedent dessert to be treasured all summer long.

27 Susan May 25, 2012

Yum, Laura! What a wonderful dessert!

28 Charles May 26, 2012

As the world’s biggest coffee fan, I’m fully in favour of this :D They look awesome Laura! A perfect cooling sweet treat.

29 Lizzy (Good Things) May 26, 2012

Ice cream sandwiches have long been a favourite of mine. Laura, yours sound lovely!

30 Deb May 26, 2012

The ice cream sandwiches are marvelous! Chocolate and espresso are a perfect pairing with the creamy cool ice cream. A fantastic treat for the holiday weekend. I especially like that they can be made ahead and kept in the freezer until serving time. Have a great weekend!

31 Julia {The Roasted Root} May 27, 2012

My bf’s sister is doing cookie ice cream sandwiches for her wedding in August instead of cake for the guests (which I just think is wonderful!) I’m forwarding her a link to this recipe – LOVE the chocolate and espresso…sound great!

32 Cookie and Kate May 27, 2012

Oh man, I think I started salivating at the title alone, and then there were the pictures. Chocolate and coffee are a match made in heaven. Add ice cream? I’m in trouble!

33 Elizabeth May 28, 2012

These kind of look like whoopie pies! Yum!!

34 Delishhh May 28, 2012

Oh wow – these look amazing!

35 Gail July 28, 2012

This officially makes you my new favorite blog :) I don’t drink mochas, but I’ll do anything else chocolate and espresso! I love how little these are, too.

36 HC August 3, 2012

This is a great recipe! I would recommend refrigerating for 24 hours. I just about doubled the amount of espresso for an added kick!

37 Tutti Dolci August 3, 2012

Glad you enjoyed them! Love the idea of upping the espresso too :)