chocolate-espresso ice cream sandwiches

Memorial Day weekend is thisclose and can only mean one thing: three full days of grilling, relaxation, and fun in the sun. I’m looking forward to some serious lounge time by the pool! When I want to cool off and juicy slices of watermelon no longer satisfy, I’ll head to the freezer and tap into my stash of chocolate-espresso ice cream sandwiches.

Espresso-laced chocolate cookies sandwich French Silk ice cream (a blend of mocha and vanilla mousse ice creams with bittersweet chocolate chips) for a cooling treat that’s a coffee lover’s delight. If you like chocolate and coffee as much as I do, you’ll find these sophisticated sandwiches impossible to resist. Have a wonderful holiday weekend (and don’t forget to savor something sweet)!

Chocolate-Espresso Ice Cream Sandwiches
1 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup unsalted butter
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp instant espresso
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups Dreyers Grand Light French Silk ice cream

Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add egg and espresso; beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 30 1-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

When ready to assemble sandwiches, place a small scoop (about 2 tablespoons) ice cream onto 15 cookies and sandwich with remaining cookies. Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap; freeze 2 hours or until firm before serving. Store leftovers in the freezer in an airtight container up to 1 week.

Yield – 15 ice cream sandwiches (serving size: 1 sandwich)

Hi Laura! I think I rather want to visit you to spend the Memorial Day weekend with you. 😉 Sounds like fun and DELICIOUS! Here it’s going to be still 70F and not warm enough for pool yet I think. I’ve never made sandwich ice cream for my kids. They are missing out something seriously delicious. I had some store-bought but not homemade ice cream sandwich yet. This is something I’ll be trying this spring/summer. Thanks for inspiring me!!!

Laura, I think I’m love with them, they look amazing… (but please, hide your calorie counting, I’m supposed to be on a diet… well, kind of! :)
    Have a nice weekend!

Sounds wonderful Laura, love ice-cream sandwiches so much too. Have a wonderful relaxing weekend lounging by the pool, I hope to do the same!

I am thrilled that memorial day is so close! Getting a day off of work means that I’ll be stuffing myself with all kinds of food for three days straight, including this awesomeness. If I get fat, I have you to blame :)

I wish you lived closer so I could invite you to our big bash this weekend! And then I could beg you to bring some of these along! They look SO GOOD!! I need to go on a diet just from looking at your gorgeous treats!!

6. Jennifer says

I love little homemade ice cream sandwiches. This looks like a good beginning-of-summer recipe!

Exactly the flavors I always order in the ice cream shops here. I love ice cream sandwiches and this one would sure make a hit at home. But the coffee for the adults. :-) My kids love the smell and taste of coffee but they’re still not allowed coffee ice creams. :-)

The ice cream sandwiches are marvelous! Chocolate and espresso are a perfect pairing with the creamy cool ice cream. A fantastic treat for the holiday weekend. I especially like that they can be made ahead and kept in the freezer until serving time. Have a great weekend!

My bf’s sister is doing cookie ice cream sandwiches for her wedding in August instead of cake for the guests (which I just think is wonderful!) I’m forwarding her a link to this recipe – LOVE the chocolate and espresso…sound great!

Oh man, I think I started salivating at the title alone, and then there were the pictures. Chocolate and coffee are a match made in heaven. Add ice cream? I’m in trouble!

This officially makes you my new favorite blog :) I don’t drink mochas, but I’ll do anything else chocolate and espresso! I love how little these are, too.

12. HC says

This is a great recipe! I would recommend refrigerating for 24 hours. I just about doubled the amount of espresso for an added kick!