cherry-almond scones

In the last few months, I’ve watched nearby cherry trees transform from blossom-filled beauties to their current state, laden with wine-colored cherries. I’m drawn to overflowing green baskets at the farmers’ market, buying what seems like my weight in cherries. The sweet fruit pairs effortlessly with almond (see my mini cherry-almond tea cakes and cherry brown butter bars) and when I recalled my longstanding love of scones, I quickly settled on a new medium for the complementary flavors.

These buttery cherry-almond scones beckon you to the table, especially fresh from the oven and slightly cooled. Fresh cherries appear like jewels in each triangle, and sliced almonds with a sprinkle of turbinado sugar are the only adornment needed.

Cherry-Almond Scones
2 cups plus 1 Tbsp flour, divided
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup chilled unsalted butter
1 cup cherries, pitted and quartered
2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 tsp almond extract

1 Tbsp sliced almonds
1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Whisk together 2 cups flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Place cherries between layers of paper towels and press gently to remove moisture. Combine with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss with a fork to coat. Add cherry mixture to flour mixture, folding in gently. Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and almond extract in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until moist.

Use a floured bench scraper to scrape dough out onto prepared baking sheet; lightly flour hands and pat dough into an 8-inch circle. Score into 12 wedges with bench scraper; sprinkle dough with sliced almonds and turbinado sugar. Bake 20 minutes or until golden. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then carefully transfer to wire rack to cool before slicing into wedges. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 1 day and warm before serving.

Yield – 12 scones (serving size: 1 scone)

These scones are delightful. And I imagine that they would be perfect with coffee or tea! (You put that cherry pitter to good use!) 😀

These look wonderful and I love the coordinating cherry towel! :) P.S. Just saw the photo for your black forest cookies and I have to find the time to try out the recipe. They are destined to become my husband’s favorite cookie!

Wow, I guess it was scone day! I love these, Laura. I made some cranberry almond scones last spring and they are still my favorites. Scones are always a winner in my book. Love the cherry flavor!

4. Grammy says

Laura, if these taste as good as they look, they will be fantastic. I will try these because the almond flavoring is so tantilizing…in everything.

they look absolutely delicious! Love almonds and use them a lot in cakes, now I look forward to trying your delicious scones – it will be perfect for the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee coming up this weekend in England.
    Thank you!

I love this flavor combination in a fresh baked scone and cherry season.
    I want to check out the farmers market when I get home next week, can’t wait to see the cherries come in;-)

Beautiful, Laura! Also, this might just sound stupid, but I just understood why scones are triangular shaped :D, lol. I’ve always made them round myself!

I have made scones with dried cherries, but not the juicy, plump, fresh, little gems of early summer! A most splendid scone, just irresistible.

I love scones! I don’t know that I’ve ever had them with fresh cherries and I can’t wait to try! I haven’t made scones in some time – thanks for the inspiration!

What wonderful scones! Our farmer’s markets haven’t begun yet but I can’t wait until they do. Gonna pick me up some cherries!

11. Renee Adams says

Yummmm! These have JUST cooled enough to eat and are incredible! Oh, thank you for the fantastic recipe :) This was the first time I’ve baked with fresh cherries, and I am going to do so every time I get the chance. Delicious recipe, thank you…