strawberry biscuits

When local strawberry stands open for the season, I become an absolute glutton for the sweet red berries. I buy as many baskets as I can carry and bring them straight home to the kitchen. There, I stand over the sink and, as cool water drips down my arms, I bite into a berry for the taste I know so well – the very essence of summer. When I happened upon strawberries the other day, I was ecstatic. While I saved some to slice over my morning granola, I didn’t want to waste a single berry (I was a bit overzealous, as usual!) so I used the remainder in these strawberry biscuits.

Buttery biscuit dough swaddles the fruit, highlighting the natural sweetness of the berries. For great biscuits, take care not to overwork or over-flour the dough. Instead of a rolling pin, I opted to lightly flour my hands and pat the dough out before cutting into rounds. These biscuits are satisfying on their own, but if you like, serve with honey butter or Mascarpone for a perfect brunch offering.

Strawberry Biscuits
Adapted from Cooking Light Way to Bake
1 cup flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
3 Tbsp cold unsalted butter
3/4 cup diced strawberries
1 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tbsp almond milk
1/8 tsp almond extract

1 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

Place strawberries between layers of paper towels and press gently to remove moisture. Combine with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss with a fork to coat. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, folding in gently. Combine yogurt, almond milk, and extracts in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board; lightly flour hands and knead 3 or 4 times, just until dough comes together. Gently roll or pat dough to a 1-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to form 12 rounds; gently gather scraps and re-roll as needed.

Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet; brush with almond milk and sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 1 day and warm before serving.

Yield – 12 biscuits (serving size: 1 biscuit)

Ahhhh your description of fresh strawberries made my mouth water. I missed strawberries. While I was in Japan I had some Japanese strawberries but one single strawberry could cost me close to .80 cents… It’s much sweeter and juicier but still, I miss American strawberries that I can eat endlessly. LOL. Your biscuits look so perfect for my craving!!

hi, laura! i’m new to your blog but i’ve seen you around in the comments area. we have similar blogs that we visit and similar friends in the food blogging community. hope to connect with you!

i pinned this recipe because this is something i like to try to make at home! looks absolutely delicious and i can’t resist strawberries!

I’m right there with you – I could strawberry-ify everything. I’ve been stuck on strawberries in my oatmeal. Your biscuits look sweet, tart and tasty! Love your train of thought! Have a great weekend!

Thank you for stopping buy and visiting my blog! I am very happy to come upon your!!! It is FANTASTIC!! Look at this biscuit..its ART!! And only 82 calories?? SUPER!!! Have a great weekend!!!

Laura, these biscuits are screaming “try me!” I love, love berries in baked goods and strawberries always make everything that much more special. These biscuits look fabulous–I really would love to try them.

BTW, do you have a Facebook fan page? I couldn’t find it if you do.

Have a great weekend.

Wow, Laura! These are look amazing! I’m lucky enough to live in an area we have strawberries year-round, so I’m going to have to try this!

I just bought a big basket tonight for using in a dessert but I just may have to try them in these biscuits. They look wonderful flecked with those ripe red berries.

Sooooooo very pretty, Laura! We had such a good supply from our strawberry patch this year. I cannot wait for next season. Will bookmark this page. Love your work!

These pretty bisuits make my mouth water, Laura! LOVE strawberries, and since last week I have tried 3 new recipes with those delicious beauties, and I guess this will be Nr. 4… 😉 I am new to your blog and absolutely love it!!
    Have a wonderful day!

These were a nice little dessert biscuit! I’d never heard of putting fruit into any kind of biscuit. I made some icing just out of almond milk and powder sugar to put on them which made them even better!