strawberry biscuits

April 18, 2012

in Breads & Quick Breads

When local strawberry stands open for the season, I become an absolute glutton for the sweet red berries. I buy as many baskets as I can carry and bring them straight home to the kitchen. There, I stand over the sink and, as cool water drips down my arms, I bite into a berry for the taste I know so well – the very essence of summer. When I happened upon strawberries the other day, I was ecstatic. While I saved some to slice over my morning granola, I didn’t want to waste a single berry (I was a bit overzealous, as usual!) so I used the remainder in these strawberry biscuits.

Buttery biscuit dough swaddles the fruit, highlighting the natural sweetness of the berries. For great biscuits, take care not to overwork or over-flour the dough. Instead of a rolling pin, I opted to lightly flour my hands and pat the dough out before cutting into rounds. These biscuits are satisfying on their own, but if you like, serve with honey butter or Mascarpone for a perfect brunch offering.

Strawberry Biscuits
1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
2 Tbsp almond milk
1/8 tsp almond extract

Topping
1 Tbsp almond milk
1 Tbsp turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Dice butter into 1/2-inch pieces; sprinkle over flour mixture and use a pastry cutter to cut in evenly until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.

Place strawberries between layers of paper towels and press gently to remove moisture. Combine with 1 tablespoon flour in a small bowl; toss with a fork to coat. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, folding in gently. Combine yogurt, almond milk, and extracts in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until moist.

Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board; lightly flour hands and knead 3 or 4 times, just until dough comes together. Gently roll or pat dough to a 1-inch thickness. Cut dough with a 1 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to form 12 rounds; gently gather scraps and re-roll as needed.

Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet; brush with almond milk and sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake for 12 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool 2 minutes on wire rack; serve warm. Store leftovers in an airtight container up to 1 day and warm before serving.

Yield – 12 biscuits (serving size: 1 biscuit)

1 Emily @ She Makes and Bakes April 19, 2012

These look incredible. I love biscuits and I love strawberries. Can’t wait to join the two! Thanks!

2 Nami | Just One Cookbook April 19, 2012

Ahhhh your description of fresh strawberries made my mouth water. I missed strawberries. While I was in Japan I had some Japanese strawberries but one single strawberry could cost me close to .80 cents… It’s much sweeter and juicier but still, I miss American strawberries that I can eat endlessly. LOL. Your biscuits look so perfect for my craving!!

3 Suzanne April 19, 2012

I can’t wait to try this recipe. Love the idea of slathering them with Mascarpone.

4 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings April 19, 2012

hi, laura! i’m new to your blog but i’ve seen you around in the comments area. we have similar blogs that we visit and similar friends in the food blogging community. hope to connect with you!

i pinned this recipe because this is something i like to try to make at home! looks absolutely delicious and i can’t resist strawberries!

ciao,
jen

5 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen April 20, 2012

Those biscuits look so light and flaky, delicious!

6 Julia {The Roasted Root} April 20, 2012

I’m right there with you – I could strawberry-ify everything. I’ve been stuck on strawberries in my oatmeal. Your biscuits look sweet, tart and tasty! Love your train of thought! Have a great weekend!

7 Winnie April 20, 2012

These are very beautiful. I can’t wait for strawberry season :)

8 Jen @ The Scrumptious Pumpkin April 20, 2012

These look beautiful, as always. And I love that the recipe uses yogurt and almond milk along with all the fresh strawberries :)

9 teri@managedmacros April 20, 2012

Thank you for stopping buy and visiting my blog! I am very happy to come upon your!!! It is FANTASTIC!! Look at this biscuit..its ART!! And only 82 calories?? SUPER!!! Have a great weekend!!!

10 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) April 20, 2012

Laura, these biscuits are screaming “try me!” I love, love berries in baked goods and strawberries always make everything that much more special. These biscuits look fabulous–I really would love to try them.

BTW, do you have a Facebook fan page? I couldn’t find it if you do.

Have a great weekend.

11 Susan April 21, 2012

Wow, Laura! These are look amazing! I’m lucky enough to live in an area we have strawberries year-round, so I’m going to have to try this!

12 Magic of Spice April 21, 2012

These look delightful!

13 Rowena @ Apron and Sneakers April 21, 2012

I’ve been putting strawberries everywhere ever since the season started. This is a new recipe to try. The biscuits seem so good!

14 Suzanne April 21, 2012

I just bought a big basket tonight for using in a dessert but I just may have to try them in these biscuits. They look wonderful flecked with those ripe red berries.

15 Lizzy April 21, 2012

Sooooooo very pretty, Laura! We had such a good supply from our strawberry patch this year. I cannot wait for next season. Will bookmark this page. Love your work!

16 Karen (Back Road Journal) April 22, 2012

I can’t wait until we get really sweet strawberries in the market later in the year. Your biscuits look beautiful.

17 Sandra's Easy Cooking April 22, 2012

What a tasty looking biscuits..never tried with strawberries, I have feeling they are delightful! Thank you for sharing, Laura and have a lovely day!!!!

18 ATasteOfMadness April 22, 2012

Oh yum, I am seeing strawberries everywhere! I need to buy some now. These look delicious!

19 Tanja (Tanja's Cooking Corner) April 22, 2012

These pretty bisuits make my mouth water, Laura! LOVE strawberries, and since last week I have tried 3 new recipes with those delicious beauties, and I guess this will be Nr. 4… ;) I am new to your blog and absolutely love it!!
Have a wonderful day!

20 Priscilla @ShesCookin April 23, 2012

So nice to meet you over these delectable strawberry biscuits, Laura!

21 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts April 23, 2012

I love fresh strawberries, they just can’t be beat. These biscuits sound amazing. I am always looking for new recipes for the 20 pounds of strawberries I pick in the summer :)

22 allyson May 16, 2012

These were a nice little dessert biscuit! I’d never heard of putting fruit into any kind of biscuit. I made some icing just out of almond milk and powder sugar to put on them which made them even better!