peanut butter brownie bites

In my quest to reduce waste and stretch my creativity, I like to challenge myself in the kitchen. I’ll sort through the refrigerator or pantry, and plan a meal or dessert from ingredients I have on hand instead of running out to the store to pick up one more thing. As I perused the pantry this week, a forgotten bag of toffee bits and a nearly empty jar of peanut butter caught my eye. It wasn’t long before I was devising these peanut butter brownie bites, conveniently made with kitchen staples.

I topped rich and fudgy brownie bites (a one-bowl recipe, no less!) with a swirl of peanut butter buttercream for a tasty union of salty and sweet. A sprinkle of toffee bits is a welcome surprise between the layers, and the toffee adds a nice crunch to these two-bite treats. How do you like to challenge yourself in the kitchen?

Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
Brownie Bites
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp toffee bits

Peanut Butter Buttercream
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp low-fat milk

Preheat oven to 325°F and spray two 12-cup mini muffin pans with nonstick spray. Place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes.

Fill each cup with a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter; sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon toffee bits over each brownie. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool bites completely in the pans on a wire rack, then chill in the refrigerator 1 hour. Use an offset spatula to pop bites out of pan.

To make buttercream, beat butter and peanut butter in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, then gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and milk; beat on medium speed until airy. Fit a pastry bag with a round tip and pipe a spiral onto each brownie bite. Store leftover bites in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 24 brownie bites (serving size: 1 brownie bite)

Comments

I love your peanut butter buttercream on top of brownies. How cute are they with swirls! I wish I can whip up some dessert like you did. How do I challenge… I try to buy food that I need and that’s a big challenge for me as I want everything if I see something good. Even though it can be something I haven’t planned on making… So planning a meal is a key for me!

What a cute idea to add peanut butter buttercream on top of your brownies Laura!! I used to buy too much food in the past, of which some remained in the fridge by the end of the week (waiting to be used :D), and since I have started my blog I try to buy only the ingredients that I need for the week, and by the end of the week leftovers are used to create the most unusual but often very tasty dishes :) I try to focus on seasonal products as well.

Wow those look so good..yummy! I am making this for sure! Anyhow answer to your question..I would take only few left ingre. in my fridge or pantry and think of recipe to make a dinner…Now i am buying enough food that can be seen in the fridge and not hidden underneath something else! Also my kids are making menu with my consultation for whole week, so that is time(and waste) savor too..they would eat what they put on a calendar :)) They are pretty good eating veggie and fruit, so raw such as different salads are always welcome too..

Those look seriously rich! I really need to get an icing bag… I’ve been using a plastic bag with the corner cut off but you just can’t achieve a good result with that, lol 😀

I’m loving your idea of using up the odds and ends in the pantry and kitchen and these are delicious looking to say the least, I’m sure your family had no complaints here either :). Have a great weekend Laura.

Did someone say peanut butter?? I love little 2 bite baked goods and I love that you concocted this just out out items you had laying around your pantry. Lets not forget to mention that photography…absolutely beautiful!!!
    Happy weekend!

this is such a great idea! i need to do a pantry spring cleaning (i already did with our winter stuff)! i already have all the ingredients at hand, and my kids will thank me if i made these! and my husband, the designated dishwasher, will also thanks me for a one-bowl recipe! hehe…

I also love a good challenge in the kitchen Laura! And this brownie bites look so decadent and delicious! I love the peanut butter frosting touch!

These look fantastic and adorable! Bite sized is the best size, what a great way to enjoy both chocolate and peanut butter!