peanut butter brownie bites

April 26, 2012

in Bars & Bites

In my quest to reduce waste and stretch my creativity, I like to challenge myself in the kitchen. I’ll sort through the refrigerator or pantry, and plan a meal or dessert from ingredients I have on hand instead of running out to the store to pick up one more thing. As I perused the pantry this week, a forgotten bag of toffee bits and a nearly empty jar of peanut butter caught my eye. It wasn’t long before I was devising these peanut butter brownie bites, conveniently made with kitchen staples.

I topped rich and fudgy brownie bites (a one-bowl recipe, no less!) with a swirl of peanut butter buttercream for a tasty union of salty and sweet. A sprinkle of toffee bits is a welcome surprise between the layers, and the toffee adds a nice crunch to these two-bite treats. How do you like to challenge yourself in the kitchen?

Peanut Butter Brownie Bites
Brownie Bites
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 large eggs
1/2 cup flour
2 Tbsp toffee bits

Peanut Butter Buttercream
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 Tbsp low-fat milk

Preheat oven to 325°F and spray two 12-cup mini muffin pans with nonstick spray. Place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes.

Fill each cup with a slightly rounded tablespoon of batter; sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon toffee bits over each brownie. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool bites completely in the pans on a wire rack, then chill in the refrigerator 1 hour. Use an offset spatula to pop bites out of pan.

To make buttercream, beat butter and peanut butter in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low, then gradually add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla and milk; beat on medium speed until airy. Fit a pastry bag with a round tip and pipe a spiral onto each brownie bite. Store leftover bites in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.

Yield – 24 brownie bites (serving size: 1 brownie bite)

1 Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts April 26, 2012

I am a sucker for brownies! These looks great. You can never go wrong with peanut butter and chocolate. I need to do a better job of cleaning out my pantry and fridge, I know I waste too much food.

2 Nami | Just One Cookbook April 26, 2012

I love your peanut butter buttercream on top of brownies. How cute are they with swirls! I wish I can whip up some dessert like you did. How do I challenge… I try to buy food that I need and that’s a big challenge for me as I want everything if I see something good. Even though it can be something I haven’t planned on making… So planning a meal is a key for me!

3 Lizzy April 27, 2012

Yummy, Laura. I like to challenge myself by always cooking beautiful things that are focused around fresh, seasonal produce.

4 Tanja (Tanja's Cooking Corner) April 27, 2012

What a cute idea to add peanut butter buttercream on top of your brownies Laura!! I used to buy too much food in the past, of which some remained in the fridge by the end of the week (waiting to be used :D), and since I have started my blog I try to buy only the ingredients that I need for the week, and by the end of the week leftovers are used to create the most unusual but often very tasty dishes :) I try to focus on seasonal products as well.

5 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella April 27, 2012

two of my favourite things are in this-peanut butter and brownies! :O

6 bigFATcook April 27, 2012

yummy! these look amazing!

7 Sandra's Easy Cooking April 27, 2012

Wow those look so good..yummy! I am making this for sure! Anyhow answer to your question..I would take only few left ingre. in my fridge or pantry and think of recipe to make a dinner…Now i am buying enough food that can be seen in the fridge and not hidden underneath something else! Also my kids are making menu with my consultation for whole week, so that is time(and waste) savor too..they would eat what they put on a calendar :)) They are pretty good eating veggie and fruit, so raw such as different salads are always welcome too..

8 Valerie April 27, 2012

They look irresistibly rich! Plus they’re tiny enough to be able to eat more than a few without too much guilt. :D

9 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) April 27, 2012

I like to create dishes/sweets out of what I already have in the kitchen but I haven’t ever come up with something as lovely as these brownie bites. Love both the toffee and the peanut butter components!

10 Laura @ Family Spice April 27, 2012

Those are so cute! I love the swirl on top – even better than having the peanut butter inside. Save me a bite.

11 Catalina @ Cake with Love April 27, 2012

These brownie bites look so cute and rich, I love the PB on top!

12 Charles April 27, 2012

Those look seriously rich! I really need to get an icing bag… I’ve been using a plastic bag with the corner cut off but you just can’t achieve a good result with that, lol :D

13 Suzanne April 27, 2012

I’m loving your idea of using up the odds and ends in the pantry and kitchen and these are delicious looking to say the least, I’m sure your family had no complaints here either :). Have a great weekend Laura.

14 teri@managedmacros April 27, 2012

Did someone say peanut butter?? I love little 2 bite baked goods and I love that you concocted this just out out items you had laying around your pantry. Lets not forget to mention that photography…absolutely beautiful!!!
Happy weekend!

15 Jen L | Tartine ans Apron Strings April 27, 2012

this is such a great idea! i need to do a pantry spring cleaning (i already did with our winter stuff)! i already have all the ingredients at hand, and my kids will thank me if i made these! and my husband, the designated dishwasher, will also thanks me for a one-bowl recipe! hehe…

16 Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen April 27, 2012

I love all your pictures! And one-bowl recipes always get my votes!

17 cassie April 27, 2012

That swirl of PB buttercream has me weak in the knees. Love this!

18 Mercedes April 27, 2012

I also love a good challenge in the kitchen Laura! And this brownie bites look so decadent and delicious! I love the peanut butter frosting touch!

19 Liren April 27, 2012

Um, yes, please! I am afraid I would eat that whole dish, all by myself. Love it!

20 Susan April 28, 2012

These look perfect for a party. My brother would love them! Very creative!

21 Deborah April 29, 2012

I love it when a recipe comes together from what you have on hand!! Delish!

22 Magic of Spice April 29, 2012

I think I need your pantry :) These are adorable and I bet they are amazingly scrumptious!

23 Choc Chip Uru April 29, 2012

Being a sweet addict I cannot believe I have never been on your amazing blog before – this recipe looks insane :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

24 Baker Street April 29, 2012

Oh my! These look incredibly adorable. I love your PB buttercream on top. Too cute.

25 Katherine Martinelli April 30, 2012

Mmmm these look delicious!! I love taking what could be a restriction (what you have on hand) and turning into creativity. Fun!

26 Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen May 1, 2012

I do the same pantry and fridge sweep before going grocery shopping to see what I can use up. Now this is a great result of using up ingredients!

27 Alana May 2, 2012

These look fantastic and adorable! Bite sized is the best size, what a great way to enjoy both chocolate and peanut butter!

28 Patricia Scarpin May 2, 2012

Oh, Laura, I’m a huge fan of chocolate and peanut butter together,these are right up my alley! They look cute, too!

29 Meg@thelegaltart May 3, 2012

Best combination ever and conveniently small so you can justify having more than one!