meyer lemon whoopie pies

April 12, 2012

in Cookies

At one point in my life, dessert meant chocolate or nothing. While my attachment to chocolate remains, my tastes have expanded and I’ve developed a fondness for lemons (let my Meyer-lemon blueberry roll, Meyer lemon muffins, and Meyer lemon bars all attest to that!). I’m currently enjoying the fruity, yolk-colored lemons in the form of these Meyer lemon whoopie pies. Two tender golden coins surround a lush Mascarpone filling, made vibrant with fresh zest, for a sublime lemon encounter. What’s your favorite lemon dessert?

Meyer Lemon Whoopie Pies
Cookies
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp brown sugar
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 cup low-fat milk

Filling
12 ounces Mascarpone, softened at room temperature
Zest of 1 Meyer lemon
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 Tbsp plus 1/2 tsp low-fat milk

Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in lemon zest and egg until combined. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat just until combined. Add milk and vanilla, then finish with remaining flour mixture.

Drop 56 mounds of dough (about 2 teaspoons each) 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Bake until tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched, about 9 to 10 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. If making cookies a day ahead of filling, store at room temperature in an airtight container between layers of parchment paper.

For the filling, beat Mascarpone and lemon zest with a mixer on medium speed until smooth. Reduce speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar until combined; mix in milk just until filling is fluffy. Place half the cookies on a baking sheet and spoon a heaping teaspoon of filling on the flat side of each, then sandwich with remaining cookies, pressing gently. Store filled whoopie pies in the refrigerator up to 1 day.

Yield – 28 whoopie pies (serving size: 1)

1 Lizzy (Good Things) April 12, 2012

Oh, how delicious!

2 Tobias @ T and Tea Cake April 12, 2012

Haha, chocolate and lemons are two of my favourite flavours as well but somehow are pretty difficult to combine. ;)

Great recipe!

My favourite lemon dessert? Hmmm. I think I have say it’s good old refreshing lemon sorbet!

3 Claire @ Claire K Creations April 12, 2012

I used to be the same but since I’ve discovered fruity desserts there’s no stopping me! I think lemon tarts would have to be my favourite.

4 Grammy April 12, 2012

I love this presentation: pansies for friendship and whoopie pies to share with friends.
My favorite: Lemon Meringue pie.

5 Charles April 13, 2012

Love the little bunch of pansies there – so pretty! The main dish though… they look just wonderful… like something I’d buy from a cake shop! I bet the lemon in the filling packs a real fresh zing. I love the name whoopie pies too… I’ve only heard of these recently… do you know where the name comes from?

6 Tutti Dolci April 13, 2012

Thanks Charles! Good question – apparently the origin of whoopie pies is controversial as Pennsylvania, Maine, and New Hampshire all claim to be the birthplace of the cookies. One report says that Amish women baked them for their farming husbands and when the men found the treats in their lunch, they’d shout “whoppie!”. Whether or not that’s true, I’m not sure! The cookies are traditionally a chocolate base with a creamy white filling, but I like to change things up :).

7 Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) April 13, 2012

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever met a lemon dessert I didn’t like but like you, that wasn’t always the case. It had to be chocolate for me, too, early in my life. Then, as a young adult I fell in love with creme brulee. Now, lemon is always at the top of the rankings. I bet these whoopie pies taste as good as they look.

Have a great weekend, Laura!

8 Katie {Epicurean Mom} April 13, 2012

Meyer lemons are sooo good! What a perfect treat to showcase them!! These sound look incredible! I would have to agree with Tobias and say lemon sorbet!

9 Nina April 14, 2012

Wow what a delicious looking whoopie pie.YOu have a great looking site…loving it.First time here…following you:)

10 Tutti Dolci April 14, 2012

Thanks Nina, glad you stopped by! :)

11 Katia April 15, 2012

I love chocolate, deep dark and serious chocolate, but a tangy and fruity lemon dessert is so hard to resist! Meyer lemons are delicious like these whoopie pies!

12 Mercedes April 27, 2012

I am somewhat the same way about dessert: I need a bite of chocolate to feel satisfied! But these whoopie pies look so light and lovely and what a great idea for a filling to use marscapone!