peanut butter & jelly crumb bars

February 25, 2012

in Bars & Bites

Unlike many kids, I rarely packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for school lunches – you’d be more likely to find a turkey sandwich or cheese and crackers in my lunch pouch. In the last five years, however, I’ve developed an affinity for the salty-sweet combination of the PB&J. These peanut butter and jelly crumb bars are tasty and portable, making them great for kids or the kid at heart. My favorite way to snack on them is slightly warm so the flavors meld together just like the namesake. Fill the bars with any fruit jelly your family likes – I used homemade pomegranate jelly.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumb Bars
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1 1/4 cups pomegranate jelly

Preheat oven to 350°F and coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, peanut butter, and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated – dough will be crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of mixture and set aside.

Press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared baking dish. Bake 10 minutes, until crust is light golden and center is set. Cool on a rack 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk jelly to loosen; use a small spatula to spread in an even layer over crust. Toss reserved dough with 2 teaspoons water until crumbs form and scatter over jelly layer. Bake for 15 minutes more, or until topping is golden. Remove from oven to cool completely in pan on a wire rack; cut into squares with a sharp knife. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.

Yield – 24 bars (serving size: 1 bar)

1 raquel@eRecipe.com February 26, 2012

I like the idea…. tasty and portable. Surely this is delicious =)

2 Mercedes February 26, 2012

Homemade pomegranate jelly! I would love to get that recipe! These bars sound so comforting. I love PB&J!

3 Laura Kasavan February 27, 2012

My neighbor makes pomegranate jelly every year and we were fortunate to be gifted with a jar this year! This is her recipe: In a large pot, combine 3 1/2 cups pomegranate juice with 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 package (2 oz) powdered pectin. Over high heat, bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add 4 1/2 cups sugar and stir to blend; bring to a second rolling boil, then boil exactly 2 minutes. Remove jelly from heat and let stand a minute to allow foam to form; remove foam and pour hot jelly into hot sterilized jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of rims. Makes 3 pints.

4 Savory Simple February 26, 2012

I would inhale these!

5 Susan February 27, 2012

Yum! Funny – our next “Baked Sunday Mornings” challenge is for something very similar. It would be fun to have you join our group!

6 Lemons & Anchovies February 27, 2012

I often chose other snacks over peanut butter and jelly, too, but I have to say that when I do have the occasional sandwich, I really like it. I know I’d enjoy these crumb bars.

7 Jennifer (Delicieux) March 1, 2012

I’ve never actually tried peanut butter and jelly. Those bars do look delicious though!

8 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 2, 2012

I love this recipe and it’s pretty healthy too!! Love it, I think this maybe the one I make this weekend! Thanks for adding it to my Peanut Butter Lovers linky party!!

9 Patricia Scarpin March 3, 2012

Oh, Laura, I’m a complete and total sucker for peanut butter – these bars look so amazing! I would love to have a couple of them right now. :)

10 Andrea (questfordelish) March 3, 2012

I love peanut butter and jelly bars. I made some once and wasn’t super impressed. I will have to give these a try.

11 Valerie April 5, 2012

Peanut butter is my weakness (one among many). These look delicious, especially with the pomegranate jelly!